Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2015
So according to engadget, the iPad mini 4 still carries the same old hardware since 2013. It will still have the color gamut issue that's prevalent in the previous iPads. I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my iPad mini 3, if not are there any contenders to the iPad mini? I may think about switching.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I still have the original ipad mini....

I was all excited when they said SAME AS THE ipad air 2, just in the smaller body...

but it's NOT!

Reactions: Jd3774life

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
According to the official site the, the mini 4 will have the same laminated screen as the Air 2. No mention of colour gamut but that in itself will see an improvement in colour reproduction.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
So according to engadget, the iPad mini 4 still carries the same old hardware since 2013. It will still have the color gamut issue that's prevalent in the previous iPads. I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my iPad mini 3, if not are there any contenders to the iPad mini? I may think about switching.
Well I just bought one! Shipping in 5 to 6 days. I can't believe they are already out and for sale. I went to the Apple site to check out the specs and the buy button was active. I clicked it and bought a 64gb cellular space grey Mini 4. I mean, last several years they were not available till the first of November.

ashe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2015
I just noticed this, the mini 4 is more expensive than the air 1st gen, even though the specs are very similar >_>

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
yeah i jumped the gun, i just saw 2 gigs and jumped at a response, ha, I really want to know...

No worries, the Apple TV has an A8 processor and it's confirmed at 2GB i am betting the mini 4 uses the same CPU, it can do side by side apps like the Air 2 so it makes sense.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
No worries, the Apple TV has an A8 processor and it's confirmed at 2GB i am betting the mini 4 uses the same CPU, it can do side by side apps like the Air 2 so it makes sense.
true, but i wouldn't put it past apple to pull a 1 gig ipad mini 4, they've made under speced units before

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
true, but i wouldn't put it past apple to pull a 1 gig ipad mini 4, they've made under speced units before

If they do this, my order will be going straight back. I'm pretty sure it will sport 2GB though, this seems to be the direction that all iOS devices are taking apart from the Touch.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
+1
If past performance (in terms of the previous Mini updates) is any indicator, I'd lay fair odds the Mini 4 will have 1GB RAM. Apple has treated the Mini as the red headed step child all along by underwhelming on the updates. With the Mini 2, it was the "low color gamut" surprise. With the Mini 3, it was the "Surprise, no real update" surprise. It would kind of be a let down in a way if the Mini 4 didn't have its own "surprise"!

Reactions: oldwren

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If they do this, my order will be going straight back. I'm pretty sure it will sport 2GB though, this seems to be the direction that all iOS devices are taking apart from the Touch.

But Apple has a history of down-spec'ing the Mini, and it's not clear that the A8 will even handle 2GB of RAM. We need to see a tear-down...

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
+1
If past performance (in terms of the previous Mini updates) is any indicator, I'd lay fair odds the Mini 4 will have 1GB RAM. Apple has treated the Mini as the red headed step child all along by underwhelming on the updates. With the Mini 2, it was the "low color gamut" surprise. With the Mini 3, it was the "Surprise, no real update" surprise. It would kind of be a let down in a way if the Mini 4 didn't have its own "surprise"!

I disagree, the Mini 2 was a great update, the only thing lacking was the screen tech used. That has been addressed this time round.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
But Apple has a history of down-spec'ing the Mini, and it's not clear that the A8 will even handle 2GB of RAM. We need to see a tear-down...

The mini 2 had spec parity with the Air 1. Given the Air 2 released last year with 2GB, I think it is a stick on that the Mini 4 will catch up with 2GB RAM. As I say I have 2 on order and the first thing I'll do is run Geekbench on it to determine RAM. 2GB and its a keeper.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I disagree, the Mini 2 was a great update, the only thing lacking was the screen tech used. That has been addressed this time round.
Then how do we disagree? You say the Mini 2 had a "screen tech issue" & I say it had a "color gamut issue". Isn't that the same thing? You say that this has been addressed this time around. I'd say "most likely", but we won't know for sure until someone gets one in their hands!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Then how do we disagree? You say the Mini 2 had a "screen tech issue" & I say it had a "color gamut issue". Isn't that the same thing? You say that this has been addressed this time around. I'd say "most likely", but we won't know for sure until someone gets one in their hands!

You said they were underwhelming updates but I said I thought the Mini 2 was a great update. The Official specs state the mini 4 has a laminated screen which will already improve colour and contrast, The only thing unknown exactly what colour gamut is supported but the screen will already be an improvement over the mini 2 and 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.