Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
You said they were underwhelming updates but I said I thought the Mini 2 was a great update. The Official specs state the mini 4 has a laminated screen which will already improve colour and contrast, The only thing unknown exactly what colour gamut is supported but the screen will already be an improvement over the mini 2 and 3.
Okay thanks! Then we do disagree. I had the Mini 2 and thought the color gamut issue made the update a major disappointment. The washed out muted colors were something I noticed everything I used the Mini. Hopefully they have fixed this on the Mini 4.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I have one on order. If it's not the same as the iPad Air 2, as they said it was, and if it doesn't support split screen, I will be getting a refund.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Okay thanks! Then we do disagree. I had the Mini 2 and thought the color gamut issue made the update a major disappointment. The washed out muted colors were something I noticed everything I used the Mini. Hopefully they have fixed this on the Mini 4.

I have an Air 2 and notice the issue immediately when swapping between the two but it's not much of an issue when I use the Mini 2 in isolation. Any improvement here is welcome though. :)

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
I have one on order. If it's not the same as the iPad Air 2, as they said it was, and if it doesn't support split screen, I will be getting a refund.

It has split-screen
But has a A8 instead of A8X in the iPad Air 2 which mean it will have dual-core instead of triple-core

It should have 2GB RAM since it is needed to support split-screen

1AhRvbs.png

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It has split-screen
But has a A8 instead of A8X in the iPad Air 2 which mean it will have dual-core instead of triple-core

It should have 2GB RAM since it is needed to support split-screen

1AhRvbs.png

But why would Tim have said it was the same internals as the iPad Air 2? Not like Apple to mislead consumers.

Reactions: caligurl

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
But why would Tim have said it was the same internals as the iPad Air 2? Not like Apple to mislead consumers.

Phil said it had the power and performance of the Air two in the smaller enclosure of the mini. He didn't mention the same components or internals so it is likely a play on words i.e. it is A8 powered as is the Air 2, just a lower spec than the A8X to meet the Mini's more constrained power requirements due to battery size and required run time.
The specs are laid out on the official site so I doubt there is any deliberate misleading going on.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I disagree, the Mini 2 was a great update, the only thing lacking was the screen tech used. That has been addressed this time round.

Has it (the display quality) been addressed? I didn't see anything that offered a clue one way or the other, but I might have missed something. What are you relying on for that? Edit - see next post.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You said they were underwhelming updates but I said I thought the Mini 2 was a great update. The Official specs state the mini 4 has a laminated screen which will already improve colour and contrast, The only thing unknown exactly what colour gamut is supported but the screen will already be an improvement over the mini 2 and 3.

OK, I see what you're saying. The laminated screen will be an improvement, but that doesn't guarantee that they'll fix the deficient color gamut of the current Mini retina displays.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Totally agree on both points. It's a big issue and really needs to be fixed. Here's hoping...I'd love to upgrade my Mini 2.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Anandtech had the mini 4 besides an Air 2 and seem to think it is the same colour gamut. It's hard to say for sure going by their picture but I'm sure they would have noted otherwise given they had both devices side by side. Seems encouraging...

This means that the display is now close to 100% sRGB and there is the iPad Air 2 anti-reflective coating on top. I’m not sure if the iPad Mini 4 makes the jump to an IGZO display for better battery life, but the iPad Mini 4 is now the closest it’s ever been to the iPad Air sibling.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9622/hands-on-with-the-ipad-pro-and-ipad-mini-4

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The mini 2 had spec parity with the Air 1. Given the Air 2 released last year with 2GB, I think it is a stick on that the Mini 4 will catch up with 2GB RAM. As I say I have 2 on order and the first thing I'll do is run Geekbench on it to determine RAM. 2GB and its a keeper.

Withdrawn, I was remembering incorrectly. Mini 2 and Air were both A7.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Anandtech had the mini 4 besides an Air 2 and seem to think it is the same colour gamut. It's hard to say for sure going by their picture but I'm sure they would have noted otherwise given they had both devices side by side. Seems encouraging...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9622/hands-on-with-the-ipad-pro-and-ipad-mini-4
That is good news. From the side-by-side pictures, they do look to be very close in terms of color. The biggest shift I saw when I had the Mini 2 was in the "Purples and Reds"....they looked more blue an orange. These colors look to be the same hue on the side by side pic's in your link....at least to my eye.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Mini 4 having the anti-reflective coating from the Air 2 is a huge letdown. Impossible to remove all smudges and fingerprints from my Air 2. Makes for an incredibly ugly screen.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Mini 4 having the anti-reflective coating from the Air 2 is a huge letdown. Impossible to remove all smudges and fingerprints from my Air 2. Makes for an incredibly ugly screen.

Solution - put a glass screen protector on it. It would give you screen protection into the bargain and retain that silky glass feeling that you don't get with any plastic film protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.