Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
I fear the rumor that the next MacBook Air design will be fanless Intel Core M design might also apply to the next Mac Mini. I can see a fanless design with flash storage taking up very little space, perhaps not much more than the current AppleTV. That would kind of suck, as I'd love to see them get much more powerful instead of just much more energy efficient.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I fear the rumor that the next MacBook Air design will be fanless Intel Core M design might also apply to the next Mac Mini. I can see a fanless design with flash storage taking up very little space, perhaps not much more than the current AppleTV. That would kind of suck, as I'd love to see them get much more powerful instead of just much more energy efficient.

I could see that happen also. I hope we still get U series choices if they do go with Core M but they may require a fan unless there is a large heat sink.

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
I hope a new Mac Mini will come and is powerful enough to be the baby brother of the Mac Pro. I don't yet need the power of the Pro. But I use the MBP in closed mode connected to keyboard, mouse, wacom and 23" display.

I would like to update this setting to a Mac Mini or I have to save loads more money and buy the Mac Pro. It has to have the intel. Not what I read in the rumours. I don't believe that will be powerful enough for vector design.

Some time back, at a time there was no speaking of a USB type C. I "designed" this little blackbox. Kinda like an in-between of 2 stacked Apple Tv's or a smaller taller Mac Mini: Click here for images

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I've been looking to get a Mac Mini for some time now. My Windows PC is going to turn 7 years old in December, although with a Crucial SSD it does run very well still, it just heats up the entire room with its Intel Q6600.

I'm hoping a new release comes out soon, otherwise I might just toss a new motherboard/CPU/RAM into my old beast and trek onwards.

I'm wanting to get another Mac for some time (sold my '08 MBP in '11, and ex took off with my '11 Mini) for some developer learning. I just can't help but feel the entire Mac lineup is flawed right now in one way or another, especially for the price.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I hope a new Mac Mini will come and is powerful enough to be the baby brother of the Mac Pro. I don't yet need the power of the Pro. But I use the MBP in closed mode connected to keyboard, mouse, wacom and 23" display.

I would like to update this setting to a Mac Mini or I have to save loads more money and buy the Mac Pro. It has to have the intel. Not what I read in the rumours. I don't believe that will be powerful enough for vector design.

Some time back, at a time there was no speaking of a USB type C. I "designed" this little blackbox. Kinda like an in-between of 2 stacked Apple Tv's or a smaller taller Mac Mini: Click here for images

Beautiful design. Although I hope for a choice of silver too as I have become really fond of it.

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Beautiful design. Although I hope for a choice of silver too as I have become really fond of it.

Thanks a million.
I liked the black because of the Mac Pro that was just available. It might even look good in space grey, silver or gold. Now the rumours picking up on other Mac's getting these colours.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK

Black, I love it !

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
ERMAHGERD!!

Actually Apple will announce the return to PowerPC, and the Mac Mini will have a G6.

Last edited:

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Well what is it going to have in it? Where is everybody?
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/25/mac-mini-october-update/

No Iris Pro No Sale.

Well, there's a few things that Apple could do now. The fact is, we seem to have missed out on a Haswell upgrade for the Mini and the Haswell refresh chips have appeared in relevant Macbook Pros since July this year.

Broadwell chips are arriving as of next year, but the 4.5W low power models are imminently available with a much lauded ability to run fanless tablets or computers due to low heat generation and power consumption.

The easy options are:

1. Haswell Mac Mini turns up in existing case - it should have turned left at Albuquerque but it's here now.

2. Haswell Refresh Mac Mini turns up in existing case, with no mention of what (if anything) became of a Haswell Mac Mini which would be upwards of a year late at this stage.

Apple now use the innards of a Macbook Air using Haswell Refresh in the base iMac 21.5" but with a spinning disk hard drive.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

It's been noted elsewhere that 802.11ac requires beam-forming antennae and therefore hints at a tall case factor rather than an AppleTV form-factor.

However, it wouldn't overly surprise me if Apple opted to go for a compact form factor while sacrificing 802.11ac. They wouldn't be able to go to an AppleTV size as they would have to sacrifice the spinning disk hard drives unless they seriously think they will be able to use 64Gb flash only in a desktop Mac.

3. This could suggest a Mac Mini using Macbook Air innards - 15w parts - this could be in the existing case as per the iMac or we could be looking at a case redesign which is increasingly probable as the existing case is designed for 2.5" SSDs and up to 47w CPUs, plus the 802.11ac factor as mentioned earlier.

4. Low power Broadwell chips are the only ones from that range available this year - colloquially known as Core M - in a 4.5W package. This is rumoured to be the chip that goes into a Macbook Air with Retina screen but could it be the chip that goes into a fanless Mini? The implication of this would be a very small form factor that would sit nicely on a desk or in front of a home cinema.

In a desktop Mac the Core M Broadwell has decent graphics (HD 5300) but not exactly world-beating and obviously not even close to Iris or Iris Pro graphics.

My current opinion is that Apple have waited as long as possible to simplify their supply chain by getting rid of the Ivy Bridge innards and the 2.5" form factor Samsung 830 SSD - only the basic 13" non retina Macbook Pro is still on sale using similar components and I expect that to quietly disappear if a Retina Macbook Air appears.

What I think we might see in October is a Coke-can shaped Mini - the tall form factor allowing for 802.11ac wifi. Apple will probably have to allow for an internal 2.5" HD for the low end options, with a PCIe flash stick serving as a higher end option and the basis for a fusion drive. The finished article might not be too far from the current Time Capsule in design.

Most users here would love a Haswell refresh mini with Iris or Iris Pro graphics but based on the iMac refresh there's also a chance of Macbook Air innards like the base iMac. I hope I am wrong.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I'll likely buy one if it:

1- Allows me to replace the RAM and HDD/SSD
2- Isn't too underpowered (ie. not MB Air CPU)

Between the prices Apple charges for RAM and SSD, as well as the ease of upgrading/fixing/replacing later, point number 1 is a must for me.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I'll likely buy one if it:
1- Allows me to replace the RAM and HDD/SSD
That's the clincher for me.

I have a 2011 2.3GHz Mini. I'm not a gamer, so I'm fine with the HD 3000 graphics. I own a copy of Adobe CS 5.5 and I'm perfectly happy with the performance of all applications therein. The thing that's going to retire this baby from the frontline is almost certainly going to be the thing that killed my last two Macs: being left behind by Java and Flash content.

The only thing that my Mini is 'missing' is USB3 for backups.

If the 2014 Mini is simply the 2012 model with Haswell inside then it will make the shopping list. If it's a new form factor without user upgradeability then it won't make the list, and my next Mini will be the newest 2012 i7 that I'm able to find.

I reckon that a top end 2012 Mini is good for at least the next four years. Hell, I'm not even sure that my 2011 will be gone by then, USB2 or not...

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
That's the clincher for me.

I have a 2011 2.3GHz Mini. I'm not a gamer, so I'm fine with the HD 3000 graphics. I own a copy of Adobe CS 5.5 and I'm perfectly happy with the performance of all applications therein. The thing that's going to retire this baby from the frontline is almost certainly going to be the thing that killed my last two Macs: being left behind by Java and Flash content.

The only thing that my Mini is 'missing' is USB3 for backups.

If the 2014 Mini is simply the 2012 model with Haswell inside then it will make the shopping list. If it's a new form factor without user upgradeability then it won't make the list, and my next Mini will be the newest 2012 i7 that I'm able to find.

I reckon that a top end 2012 Mini is good for at least the next four years. Hell, I'm not even sure that my 2011 will be gone by then, USB2 or not...
I have the same machine, and found that upgrading to a SSD, and CalDigit Thunderbolt dock for USB 3.0 breathes quite a bit of life into this 3 year old box.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Mixed feelings, good news it appears Apple are to continue the Mini. Less so is the potential refresh now with Broadwell so close, it suggests to me Mini will miss out Broadwell if Apple sticks with these long Mini refresh cycles. The alternative of a more locked down Mini isn't so appealing either.

I will wait and see what we get but with an iPhone 6 on order and an iPad Air 2 on the cards for me I am not sure I can justify or afford a Haswell Mini refresh this autumn.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Mixed feelings, good news it appears Apple are to continue the Mini. Less so is the potential refresh now with Broadwell so close, it suggests to me Mini will miss out Broadwell. The alternative of a more locked down Mini isn't so appealing either.

I will wait and see what we get but with an iPhone 6 on order and an iPad Air 2 on the cards for me I am not sure I can justify or afford a Haswell Mini refresh this autumn.

Yeh, I'm in the same situation and without Broadwell it will not have the HTPC connections or video bandwidth I'm waiting for.

Wife wants the new Phone and the IPad 2 is tiered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.