Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelch

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
Timing

A Haswell refresh mini should have happened long ago. I think the only possible refresh would be the same chip as base iMac. This would be the case if they weren't planning on updating the mini but have a warehouse full of unsold i5s.

EDIT: Another option is a refresh using the Macbook Pro chips with Iris/Iris Pro.

Now that we're looking at an October update, this lines up with Broadwell Core M. A very large number of posts in this thread predicted Apple would wait for Broadwell and release a redesigned mini.

Last edited:

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Not just any person. From what it looks like it may very well be from a person who has been reading this thread! That has to count for something.

It looks like the person reporting the original information has a pretty good track record for this sort of thing. So I would think there's about a 50/50 chance that something is going to happen in October.

It's worth holding off on an alternative purchase for unless you can't wait.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
A Haswell refresh mini should have happened long ago. I think the only possible refresh would be the same chip as base iMac. This would be the case if they weren't planning on updating the mini but have a warehouse full of unsold i5s.
This is what I'm thinking might be the case; that we'll see a "new" Mac Mini just like the new iMac model, though for the Mac Mini it could at least be a more significant saving for the loss of performance, where the iMac's price is still largely in its screen for the lower end models.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
This is what I'm thinking might be the case; that we'll see a "new" Mac Mini just like the new iMac model, though for the Mac Mini it could at least be a more significant saving for the loss of performance, where the iMac's price is still largely in its screen for the lower end models.

That would be a non sale for me.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
That would be a non sale for me.
The problem is that it just doesn't seem right that Apple would release an all new generation of Mac Mini now, as it's been long overdue for a Haswell update for some time. This means if Apple was planning a redesign, then they must have been waiting for Broadwell, since it'd be a much better fit for such a small machine, while Haswell isn't a huge upgrade compared to what we get now except in terms of the GPU (but graphics has never been a focus of the Mini).

If they were going to update to Haswell they could have done that a long time ago, as I can't imagine the time required to design and tool for a new model in the current case would have taken long at all.

The rumour also points to the October event, which seems weird as the Mini doesn't tend to show up at events, just gets silently updated.

To me it leaves two likely possibilities, the first is a new, cheaper entry level model similar to what the iMac got. This could make a lot of sense since it'd be coinciding with the Yosemite release, so an even cheaper Mac Mini might be enticing to iOS users looking for a computer that will support the Continuity features. It would also make a great media centre PC, as IMO the current Mac Minis are a touch overkill for that anyway.
The other alternative would be that they're just announcing a redesigned Mac Mini in advance of its release next year, or possibly later this year if Apple has managed to get a deal with Intel to get Broadwell early. October seems too soon for that to be released, but a pre-announcement like the new Mac Pro got is a possibility.
Of course there's technically a third option, and that would be if the Mac Mini were switching to the really low power Broadwell chips, but I don't know if I'd put much stock in that unless Apple intends to release something even smaller, or merge the Mac Mini and AppleTV or similar.

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
The problem is that it just doesn't seem right that Apple would release an all new generation of Mac Mini now, as it's long overdue for a Haswell update for a long time. This means if Apple was planning a redesign, then they must have been waiting for Broadwell, since it'd be a much better fit for such a small machine, while Haswell isn't a huge upgrade compared to what we get now except in terms of the GPU (but graphics has never been a focus of the Mini).

If they were going to update to Haswell they could have done that a long time ago, as I can't image the time to design and tool for a new model in the current case would have taken long at all.

The rumour also points to the October event, which seems weird as the Mini doesn't tend to show up at events, just gets silently updated.

To me it leaves two likely possibilities, the first is a new, cheaper entry level model similar to what the iMac got. This could make a lot of sense since it'd be coinciding with the Yosemite release, so an even cheaper Mac Mini might be enticing to iOS users looking for a computer that will support the Continuity features. It would also make a great media centre PC, as IMO the current Mac Minis are a touch overkill for that anyway.
The other alternative would be that they're just announcing a redesigned Mac Mini in advance of its release next year, or possibly later this year if Apple has managed to get a deal with Intel to get Broadwell early. October seems too soon for that to be released, but a pre-announcement like the new Mac Pro got is a possibility.
Of course there's technically a third option, and that would be if the Mac Mini were switching to the really low power Broadwell chips, but I don't know if I'd put much stock in that unless Apple intends to release something even smaller, or merge the Mac Mini and AppleTV or similar.

It would seem very unApple like to announce an upcoming Mini since it's such a low priority Mac.
The delay to me also would seem to be redesign for Broadwell which aren't due till next year unless it is Core M and nobody else has anything built with that in it.
So I think if it comes in October it will be left over chips from Haswell and would likely not contain Iris Pro since those are special chips and expensive.
I'm confused by the whole thing myself and hoping it's not a good rumor.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
At this point if Apple updates the mini it's likely a major update, a minor update as loading Haswell cpu could have been done early this year, so Apple maybe getting ready an new mini generation.

I rise my bet on the current mini (or its market) being splitted on an fanless mini with Broadwell-M and another all new Mac with latest Haswell chip and discrete gpu as option, as well everyday seems more consistent the possibility Apple launching it's own NAS Device with OSX server on ARM cpu.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
At this point if Apple updates the mini it's likely a major update, a minor update as loading Haswell cpu could have been done early this year, so Apple maybe getting ready an new mini generation.

I rise my bet on the current mini (or its market) being splitted on an fanless mini with Broadwell-M and another all new Mac with latest Haswell chip and discrete gpu as option, as well everyday seems more consistent the possibility Apple launching it's own NAS Device with OSX server on ARM cpu.

That would be sweet. :)

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA

Three different mini products and one with ARM where they would have to rejigger Yosemite?

If I was an Apple shareholder. I'd be glad you're not running the company

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Three different mini products and one with ARM where they would have to rejigger Yosemite?

If I was an Apple shareholder. I'd be glad you're not running the company
Did you know the Watch has an entirely new OS?

did you know switching an OS from cpu platform it's much more easy than building an entire new os, despite how *simple* the Watch is?

Did you know that targeting better the customer needs imply more sales (despite different price ranges Apple can handle different margins enough to actually improve total income), that what's Apple just did with the iPhone 6 and 6+, no surprise if they launch the new "Mac mini" (fanless low end) and a "new mac mini plus" (dGPU higher TDP, mid range).

From my point of view, the Mac mini it's like the iPhone 5, Apple needed an product range better suited to the customer needs or likeness, if they do the same sure we will see two new mac mini replacing the current product.

And about the 'Apple NAS", did you know how many NAS from Synology, Netgear, LaCie, WD, etc are sold to Apple Mac users? Why they didn't purchase instead a timecapsule or an mini server? The answer it's convenience, features and economy, the Apple answer should be based on current mature OS, while is not feasible to build an competitive NAS on Intel platform (Synology sells NAS on both platform and ARM outsells Intel on 10:1), also ARM64 gains ground at server Farms due it's efficiency and lower TCO. there are old leaks that ensures Apple already has prototype devices running OSX on ARM, once you have OSX running on a new platform recompile existing applications targeting the new cpu in most (not all) cases it's an trivial task, that's it's an big star for an new platform.

You may fire me, but who fires the guy that had the idea to launch 2 iPhone 6's?

Last edited:

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
Another cue on the things to come: last Yosemite beta just included drivers for the nVidia 980 series gpu....

Oooh, the fabled gaming Mac, to fill the wider gap between a Broadwell-Y mini-Mini and the Mac Pro?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Did you know the Watch has an entirely new OS?

did you know switching an OS from cpu platform it's much more easy than building an entire new os, despite how *simple* the Watch is?

Did you know that targeting better the customer needs imply more sales (despite different price ranges Apple can handle different margins enough to actually improve total income), that what's Apple just did with the iPhone 6 and 6+, no surprise if they launch the new "Mac mini" (fanless low end) and a "new mac mini plus" (dGPU higher TDP, mid range).

From my point of view, the Mac mini it's like the iPhone 5, Apple needed an product range better suited to the customer needs or likeness, if they do the same sure we will see two new mac mini replacing the current product.

And about the 'Apple NAS", did you know how many NAS from Synology, Netgear, LaCie, WD, etc are sold to Apple Mac users? Why they didn't purchase instead a timecapsule or an mini server? The answer it's convenience, features and economy, the Apple answer should be based on current mature OS, while is not feasible to build an competitive NAS on Intel platform (Synology sells NAS on both platform and ARM outsells Intel on 10:1), also ARM64 gains ground at server Farms due it's efficiency and lower TCO. there are old leaks that ensures Apple already has prototype devices running OSX on ARM, once you have OSX running on a new platform recompile existing applications targeting the new cpu in most (not all) cases it's an trivial task, that's it's an big star for an new platform.

You may fire me, but who fires the guy that had the idea to launch 2 iPhone 6's?

Millions of people buy the iphone.

The customer base is not so high for the mac mini that they can split it up into three different products. If you saw the Charlie Rose interview of Tim Cook, Tim made a specific point of telling Charlie that although their company is worth billions of dollars, their entire product line could fit on the table in front of them.

Apple is not the type of company to keep dividing up their products into sub-products over and over again until they end up with hundreds of different products. They make a handfull of items and make them well and once they have outlived their usefullness (ipod classic) they get discontinued. If it is a product line with a substantial amount of sales (iphone, ipad) then they split it up into a couple different products as they have done.

mac mini, though always a top seller on amazon, does not have the customer base that comes even close to the iphone or ipad so there is no incentive to spend their time splitting up these products into sub-products.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome

The customer base is not so high for the mac mini that they can split it up into three different products. If you saw the Charlie Rose interview of Tim Cook, Tim made a specific point of telling Charlie that although their company is worth billions of dollars, their entire product line could fit on the table in front of them.

Apple is not the type of company to keep dividing up their products into sub-products over and over again until they end up with hundreds of different products. They make a handfull of items and make them well and once they have outlived their usefullness (ipod classic) they get discontinued. If it is a product line with a substantial amount of sales (iphone, ipad) then they split it up into a couple different products as they have done.

mac mini, though always a top seller on amazon, does not have the customer base that comes even close to the iphone or ipad so there is no incentive to spend their time splitting up these products into sub-products.
You're blind, look at zotac they don't sold 1/10 of the units Apple sells as mini, and they develop new models and variants of its products, so the base users or market share don't need to be as big to justify R&D for a new range of products (and actuality profit which is the important matter to Apple).

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

Even though that is true, I still think there is enough room in the lineup to add an additional Mac. So we'd have Mac Mini, Mac, Mac Pro. I don't know how many people there are who want a headless iMac, but there have to be enough of us for it to be profitable.

In my case I've gone back to Windows just because I don't want an iMac and I don't like the specs of the current Mini. I like having a 24-inch monitor and right now Apple doesn't offer me anything to connect to my 24-inch monitor except an expensive MacBook Pro that I don't need. I want more than a Mini but less than a Mac Pro but no built-in display.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
You're blind, look at zotac they don't sold 1/10 of the units Apple sells as mini, and they develop new models and variants of its products, so the base users or market share don't need to be as big to justify R&D for a new range of products (and actuality profit which is the important matter to Apple).

It's hard to believe you're comparing zotac to Apple. First the scale between the companies is very different. Second Apple is a much more profitable company. We can compare Sony and Apple which are both large companies but Sony makes every product under the sun, some of which they make a profit on and some they don't. Sony is the type of company which would split their products up into several sub products buty point is the while Apple COULD do the same, they don't because they choose not to. That is not how they run their business, at least not up til this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.