Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I think soon to have a desktop without a monitor built in the only choice will be a Windows box
[doublepost=1452899809][/doublepost]

Plus things like the new Windows phones which can be turned into a desktop pc (albeit primitive)
That is the future, eventually, I think.

Large screens become docking stations for amazingly powerful phone like devices that we take with us everywhere.

We have maximum portability and most things stored in the cloud or streamed. Connectivity is seamless and ubiquitous.

But that day is a ways off. And for now, I still need a solid mini!

That is the future, eventually, I think.

Large screens become docking stations for amazingly powerful phone like devices that we take with us everywhere.

We have maximum portability and most things stored in the cloud or streamed. Connectivity is seamless and ubiquitous.

But that day is a ways off. And for now, I still need a solid mini!

Or we could go straight to implants. No screen needed, just tap straight into the visual system.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I am fairly sure that we will see the return of quad with skylake as the chips are all the same form factor which they are not currently.
Imo Apple should have just made a quad compatible mobo.. It's not like they can't afford the r&d.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Any real work I get done on my desktop. I cannot be that unique. Mini rules!

Likewise. I can see the time coming that having a mobile device is essential for work. Indeed, the times I unhook my Mini to take to class for use with a LCD projector are increasing. However, at most I would see something portable as supplementary to a desktop.

As it is now, I seldom even carry a mobile phone. I like to be able to leave my desk and be off-line, and am inclined to hang on to the freedom it brings.

Only thing for sure is... everything is always changing.

Some things don't change. One is that the new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Likewise. I can see the time coming that having a mobile device is essential for work. Indeed, the times I unhook my Mini to take to class for use with a LCD projector are increasing. However, at most I would see something portable as supplementary to a desktop.

As it is now, I seldom even carry a mobile phone. I like to be able to leave my desk and be off-line, and am inclined to hang on to the freedom it brings.

Some things don't change. One is that the new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming.

True dat.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
Actually I think it is pretty simple.
Once Intel Release the Skylake Family with Iris Pro we'll get a new Mac Mini.
Haven't Intel already released Skylake with Iris Pro? Just because their own NUC is not ready, it doesn't mean chips are are not ready for 3 parties.

Royi

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2016
From what I know, they didn't.
It should happens during the end of the 1st Qtr or the beginning of the 2nd Qtr.

By the way, Apple is probably the biggest customer of those chips hence it is reasonable to assume they will release products based on it first.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I'm presuming the new Mac mini will become thin enough that Apple start offering silicone cases (in multiple colours) for them, in much the same way they did when introducing the iPad mini 4.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
So new Intel Skylakes were released today, fit for Macbook Pro 15". Does would be great in the next Mac Mini. Historically, has Mac Mini had the same processor as the top of the line Macbook Pro? Or was it a real desktop CPU?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.