Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
As the OP, just wanted to say this has been a very informative thread! It's certainly taught me a thing or two about the inner workings of the M series chips, and some genuine limitations they may have had. Still, the reliability people experienced with 3rd party extra-monitor solutions with their M1/M2 Airs does raise the question of whether Apple was truly constrained by hardware.

And still. Let's not lose perspective.
Dual-display support was there on Intel MacBook Airs for years.

We had the feature, then lost it, now it's coming back. I don't think you congratulate Apple for doing that. Sure, I'm happy they've done it, but it's a bittersweet feeling (especially as an M2 Air owner).

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
As the OP, just wanted to say this has been a very informative thread! It's certainly taught me a thing or two about the inner workings of the M series chips, and some genuine limitations they may have had. Still, the reliability people experienced with 3rd party extra-monitor solutions with their M1/M2 Airs does raise the question of whether Apple was truly constrained by hardware.

And still. Let's not lose perspective.
Dual-display support was there on Intel MacBook Airs for years.

We had the feature, then lost it, now it's coming back. I don't think you congratulate Apple for doing that. Sure, I'm happy they've done it, but it's a bittersweet feeling (especially as an M2 Air owner).
I am still thinking and hoping that the dual-display support is not a hardware limitation and waiting to get this on the M2 MBA too…

• Sad
Reactions: mectojic

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Best thing is, Apple doesn't even hide behind marketing language. There is no, "because of the next-generation M3 GPU architecture, this clamshell mode is made possible on MacBook Air."

It's straight up, you want this feature, you need the M3 model. Pay up.

"They didn't even say you need the M3 architecture, they straight up said if you want this feature you need the M3 model"?

Yes. Did you even look at their MacBook Air page? The fact that 2 displays can be connected is now mentioned as if it's a "new feature".

And in the press release, it's also headlined as mentioned above.

Why are we even kidding ourselves? Apple *is* pushing the dual-external-display connectivity "feature" as a differentiator between M3 vs M1/M2 in an effort to push old M1/M2 owners to upgrade. They even increased Mac trade-in value to make it enticing. It is very clear what they are trying to do.

Um, it is a new feature.... And Apple giving you more money for a trade in is a trap? As a rough percentage of users, how many M2 users do you think will upgrade to M3 for this feature?

Features get added over time. Sometimes those features need new hardware, sometimes they need new software (or in this case firmware). That's how progress works: progressively.

Nothing you're pointing to looks anything like Machiavelian intent.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It also tells you how desperate Apple is to recover from that 34% loss in sales volume. When was the last time you saw dual-display support as a headline feature for a notebook?

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm...

"Sales are in decline, what are we going to do? More capacity? Faster chips? Lower prices?"

"No, none of that. We need to go big. Route the internal display out a second port!"

You guys sure Apple will be able to keep up with demand now that they've unlocked the true potential of the Macbook?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm...

"Sales are in decline, what are we going to do? More capacity? Faster chips? Lower prices?"

"No, none of that. We need to go big. Route the internal display out a second port!"

You guys sure Apple will be able to keep up with demand now that they've unlocked the true potential of the Macbook?

Can’t tell if you’re serious or just haven’t been paying attention.

MacBook Air M2 launched at $1,199. M3 Air is now $1,099.

Apple added performance. Added better finish. Added what they consider a Pro feature - dual display support. They even added a stock 16/512 configuration for retailers, which will undoubtedly be discounted unlike 16/512 BTO configs before.

Reactions: geta and MagicBird

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
M3 has the same memory bandwidth as M2, 100 GB/sec. Or maybe you mean M3 hardware ray-tracing is needed to drive a second display in clamshell mode? 😆
You did not read: what about all the other components on the main board? Most notably the bus supplying the display signal to the USB-C sockets.

Maybe you forgot but even on older intel MacBooks not all sockets had the same display and thunderbolt capabilities.

Again, nothing to discuss here, there is none wil ploy from Apple…

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

Apple added performance. Added better finish. Added what they consider a Pro feature - dual display support. They even added a stock 16/512 configuration for retailers, which will undoubtedly be discounted unlike 16/512 BTO configs before.

There, that's a much more reasoned argument. Apple is clearly offering a more competitive product with the latest iteration though I do think clamshell mode is the least interesting of the those features, but at least the hyperbolic language is in check.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Can’t tell if you’re serious or just haven’t been paying attention.

It's fascinating that even when Apple improves the product and lowers the price, people still find something to complain about.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
the reliability people experienced with 3rd party extra-monitor solutions with their M1/M2 Airs does raise the question of whether Apple was truly constrained by hardware
It's safe to say that the M1 MBA and MBP can't re-route from the internal display to an external one. The M3 does have both display controllers hooked up to the internal switch giving more flexibility.

Not quite sure whether the M2 is more like the M1 or more like the M3.

And I'm not quite sure which 3rd party extra-monitor solutions you are referring to. If it's DisplayLink then sure, that frequently works, but it uses a completely different, inferior, data flow via USB.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
They want people to buy the new M3 instead of refurb M2
I think they actually want people from M1 to upgrade. I believe there are crazy number of people jumping on M1 MBA bandwagon at the time. If only 20-30% of them upgrade that will be huge for Mac sales.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Interesting take, I assumed that the reason why sales have tanked is because Apple's most popular Mac is the MacBook Air at $1,000, which hadn't seen an update for over 3 years, half it's supported life.
Would you buy a 3 year old car at original price? A 3 year old TV, Fridge, phone?
I know I wouldn't.
Where do you get over 3 years since the last update? The M2 MBA was introduced less than 2 years ago, June 2022 at WWDC. The 15in was introduced about 1 year ago.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Not quite sure whether the M2 is more like the M1 or more like the M3.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Like in 2015 when the base model was 4GB/128GB? Y'all complainers just gonna complain. Buy what you need and let the entry level model come in a price that suits the average user.
Right? Yeah it sucks that what I need usually costs $2000-2700 but I only have to pay that much every 8 years or so because Mac laptops last so long. At least the cost of the upgraded models that suit my (moderate power user) needs has stayed about the same over the last couple decades, even as inflation has skyrocketed. Can't say the same about the cost of anything else in life!

Reactions: MagicBird

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
The best thing that can happen for AS Mac owners is the continuing development of Asahi Linux. Asahi Linux is now a legitimate consideration. Nothing works better than competition to keep Apple in check.

As Asahi Linux evolves it may expose performance and efficiency limitations Apple has imposed. In fact, there seems to be evidence of this already.

At the very least, as mentioned earlier in this thread, we will gain insight into the design decisions Apple made. Asahi Linux might also extend the useful life of AS computers well beyond the support window that Apple provides.

Down the road I see the possibility where people may preferentially install Asahi Linux and run macOS as a VM within Asahi Linux.

Reactions: Queen6 and Chuckeee

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Um, it is a new feature....

Unfortunately, it is not.

Video Support​

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One external display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at up to 60Hz
  • Up to two external displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at up to 60Hz

Source:

Oh, and that's without having to go clamshell

Features get added over time. Sometimes those features need new hardware, sometimes they need new software (or in this case firmware). That's how progress works: progressively.

Nothing you're pointing to looks anything like Machiavelian intent.

See above. Even with this "upgrade", we're not on par with a 6-year-old MacBook Air.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
See above. Because features-wise, we're still behind a 6-year-old MacBook Air.
Anyone using a 6-year-old Air with two 4K displays, or even a single 5K60 display is not going to be having a good experience wrt to dropped frames and stuttering.

It's like saying the all-you-can-eat Golden Corral buffet is a better dining experience compared to Ruth's Chris, just because there's more food at Golden Corral.

• Haha
Reactions: Chuckeee

rowlands

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
Taiwan
Where do you get over 3 years since the last update? The M2 MBA was introduced less than 2 years ago, June 2022 at WWDC. The 15in was introduced about 1 year ago.
Apple sold the M1 MacBook Air at $1,000 for over 3 years, 3 months. The M2 MacBook Air was a higher priced alternative, same as the 15" MacBook Air. Neither of these were introduced as replacement products, which quite frankly the M2 Air **should** have been.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Anyone using a 6-year-old Air with two 4K displays, or even a single 5K60 display is not going to be having a good experience wrt to dropped frames and stuttering.

It's like saying the all-you-can-eat Golden Corral buffet is a better dining experience compared to Ruth's Chris, just because there's more food at Golden Corral.
huh? those machines drove those displays just fine....

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple sold the M1 MacBook Air at $1,000 for over 3 years, 3 months. The M2 MacBook Air was a higher priced alternative, same as the 15" MacBook Air. Neither of these were introduced as replacement products, which quite frankly the M2 Air **should** have been.

Well, that's a fresh take. It's like suggesting iPhone 12 wasn't a replacement for iPhone 11, but a only higher priced alternative. I doubt anybody would agree with that.

The base price for MacBook Air was increased to $1,199 in 2022. This year, Apple dropped the base price back to $1,099.

Reactions: Mainsail

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

That makes no sense. Plenty of reviewers tested the LG UltraFine 5K by using a MacBook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.