Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will it be released?

• July

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • August

Votes: 22 3.4%
  • September

Votes: 520 79.8%
  • After September

Votes: 55 8.4%
  • NEVER!!!

Votes: 48 7.4%

• Total voters

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I honestly think it would be stupid to not have 16gb version in the 4G lineup.

Can anybody tell me what a gyroscope will do?

Peter$on

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Unibody-99%
A4 Chip-99%
New Box-99%
Retina Display-75%
Better Battery-100%
Gyroscope-No Idea
512 RAM-65%
Wi-Fi 802.11-100%
Back Camera-99%
Front Camera-60%
Mic-75%
Better Speaker-75%
2 Speakers-35%
FM Radio-99%
128 Model-3%
New Models(16gb instead of 8gb)-99%
New Prices-5%
Colors-0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

For Colors maybe 2, if they replace chrome.

Back camera is really "useful" function for the iPod touch... I think, almost everybody who has the iPod touch, has a cellphone (with camera) as well... So, I don't understand it... (rather a front facing camera for Face Time, and for apps like Skype etc...

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I honestly think it would be stupid to not have 16gb version in the 4G lineup.

Can anybody tell me what a gyroscope will do?

16gb will likely be the baseline model. which means there will be no changes to this model from the 3rd gen 32/64gb.

gyroscope is just another potential api for developers it helps the iphone understand it's orientation to gravity.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
16gb will likely be the baseline model. which means there will be no changes to this model from the 3rd gen 32/64gb.

gyroscope is just another potential api for developers it helps the iphone understand it's orientation to gravity.

Thats what i was thinking.

I still dont get it. Can someone explain to me in more depth?

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I think it'll have the same screen and specs, but maybe not the same design. I'm not sure why, I just think they'll keep the old design or put them in the old 3GS cases. I hope I"m wrong though...

At first I figured they would only put a back facing camera in it, but now I'm hoping they only put a front facing one in it!!! :)

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Well, if they keep the old design just so the previous gen cases fit, then theyll have to have a camera on the front so that they dont have to have a hole in the back of the case. But i still think its more sensible to have it on the back so you can see what youre filming.

What would a gyroscope do for the ipod touch?

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
it is sort of like the accelerometer. the accelerometer only worked on one axis. the gyro works on 3 axes. the x,y,and the z axis. so, it just provides more options to the devs to implement cool stuff.

Thats better, thanks. :)

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
maybe, in light of the mac mini getting an sd slot.. for some crazy reason they put an sd slot in the next ipod touch. how insane would that be? with up to 32 gb upgradability they could sell tons of 4gb models, and still have really good sales for the 8-64 range. maybe steve should consider competing with recent products such as this AirStash SD wifi hotspot thing, in addition to offering a model with both cameras that the iphone 4 has. that could even give current ipad/iphone owners a good reason to get an ipod touch. maybe apple is finally coming around to SD? it's already in some mbp's & the new mac mini. maybe they'll add it to the macbook & mba somehow too.

apple could make a ton of money if they made the ipod touch 4 built to order with a ton of features they could over charge you with.. the possible price range would be like 249-699 USD or something. if they let me, i'd order the 64GB ipod touch w/ SDXC slot, both cameras, 3G, and double (maybe triple) sized battery. This would probably cost about 599 to 699 if it were to be made available in september by my guess. & even though it would be about 3-5 millimeters thicker than your average ipod touch.. it'd be totally worth it

edit:

also, if they went with the same design as the iphone 4 they could build a really nice sd slot into one of the sides. where about an SD cards width of the whole metal casing can be popped & unlocked, and then opened to reveal the sd slot. or even a double sd slot on thicker models. pardon my french but i think apple needs to let sd penetrate more of its products. sd is obvioviously widely accepted & used. if apple and sd were best friends, i think the world would be a bit of a better place.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Although a sd card slot would be nice but it would cannabalize upper memory storage models. Apple cant satisfy everybody... can they?

BeanieMan

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Things like sd card slots are tangential to the focus of the device. The focuses of the ipod touch are music, video, and games. Apple will not include features that are so disconnected from the device's purpose.

In light of the focus of the ipod touch, we may be able to reason about some of the things it will or will not have in the next revision (just my guesses...):

- retina display? yes (games and video consumption. I think people would be outraged not to get this)
- 512MB ram? yes (games and multitasking for iOS4)
- A4? yes. probably set to the same speed as the iphone, whatever that is. with the retina display, it will need to be faster at decoding video and generating graphics for games.
- gyroscope? yes (games)
- maybe 720p tv output? i dunno (this could make sense from the video consumption perspective.)
- rear camera? maybe? probably? to create media in addition to consuming it? Seems they've been planning it for a while, and already have it in the nanos.
- front camera? i dunno, could be. I feel like Apple might try to keep out the communications functionality and reserve that for the iphone, but some comments i've read seem to say that jobs has implied that more devices should support facetime in the near future.
- 3G internet? definitely not, especially if there is a front facing camera. I think that would invite people to stop getting cellular plans, and just communicate with facetime.
- I think a dock connector to VGA capability would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't expect it, though.
- i dunno about capacity. if the 64GB chips coming out in Q4 are cheap enough, i don't see why apple wouldn't go to a 32/64/128 lineup, or maybe 32/64/96 or something like that.
- price might go up by $50 for each price point due to the retina display, A4, and 512MB RAM.

Of course, I'm completely speculating here.

As far as making it lighter or thinner or what the buttons are going to be and where, I don't really care. IMO, give me a huge battery rather than making it thinner and lighter and i'll be happier.

I certainly could be wrong. I've probably missed some things that an ipod touch owner would care about. I don't actually own one yet. I'm just researching it thinking about getting one after the next update.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
first off, design seems to follow to trend. when iphone 3G was redesigned, ipod touch was changed, too. in this time, I think that new ipod touch 4G will have new design just like iphone 4. camera? yes. it should be fit into new design. retina display? yes. multi task? of course. facetime is only purposed when you have constant connectivity like cellphone. so ipod touch won't have forever. I don't mind if new one will be little thicker. why? it will be still thinner (more grabbing feeling). just like iphone 4, new one will have A4 processor with 512MB memory to run enough for multi tasking. better battery life? maybe. just wait for this Fall.

uvalaxboy5

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Richmond, Va
I doubt there will be a camera.
Apple wants there to be a significant difference between the Iphone and the Ipod Touch other than the phone part and 3g network. If the ipod touch has a camera the only difference between the two devices is the phone and 3g network. I personally would like to see a camera and be wrong because im not going to get an Iphone because I use Verizon (if the iphone came to verizon my life would be complete :)

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For sure the next generation iPod touch will play music, video, and podcast...

What happened to the music? Haha the nano, and video should be retired within the next years and apple should make one single music, entertainment, PDA device ranging from like $99-$199

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I honestly would like if they upgraded to iPhone 4-like specs with the ram, processor, display, etc, and made it a design either more like the iPhone or the first gen touch. The current touches are too thin for my liking, just feels awkward to hold, while I much prefer the feel of my first gen, plus the black aluminum bezel looks much cleaner. Plus if they did that, there would be more room for a bigger battery, which I would most certainly approve of. I could care less about the camera, since I wouldn't really use it. But I think they should reinstate the 16 gig model as the base, and keep the 32 and 64 where they are. I think a 128 gig would be prohibitively expensive at this point, but the 8 is just too darn small. I thought it would be enough for me, and was all i really had the budget for at the time, but I can only fit about 70% of my music, my apps, and 2 short movies or 1 long one and a couple tv shows.

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
Although a sd card slot would be nice but it would cannabalize upper memory storage models. Apple cant satisfy everybody... can they?

not necessarily. for instance apple could choose to limit this feature to the upper storage models. but even if they included the sd slot in the all the models, including the baseline 8gb for 299 or whatever.. there would still be people out there who would want the 64gb just so they can have over a total of 96 or 128 gb's after they pop in that memory card. they aren't going to buy the 8 gb model instead, because a 128gb SD either doesn't exist, wouldn't be fast enough, or too damn expensive.

also if this is going to have a high res screen, people are going to want to watch high res movies. which take up a lot of space. what's easier than getting out that usb cord to sync your ipod touch with your computer to watch a movie? sync via wifi. what's faster than that? dragging the movie to an sd card, and putting the card in your ipod touch. I think the ipod touch 4 should be able to do both. at a friends house and want to show them the movie? tell them to connect to the wifi hotspot you just turned on & stream the movie over wifi while your phone charges. or take the sd card out and stick it in their computer.

want to send out or upload some pictures you JUST took on your dslr or point and shoot camera? take out the sd card and put it in your ipod touch. find a wifi hotspot or hope apple makes a 3g version. apple needs to make various versions of the ipod touch at different price points. such as, all get sd slots & frontal face time camera. 8gb 299, 16gb 349, 32gb 399, 64gb 449
add the rear camera of the iphone 4 for $39.
add 3g for $39.

this would allow for many different price points that would please a wide range of customers while still adding a ton of competition to all the other personal media players on the market.

the ipad has 3g. why not? apple is already a huge company. is stock going to plumit if one of apples products starts selling better than one of apples other products? i dont think so. they sell tons of computers, iphones, and ipads as it is! god forbid the ipod touch see record sales!

Things like sd card slots are tangential to the focus of the device. The focuses of the ipod touch are music, video, and games. Apple will not include features that are so disconnected from the device's purpose.

what are sd cards for? do you know? i know it's not music, video, or games even.. maybe just pictures? uhhhhh

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
I was just at Best Buy this afternoon and a sales associate told me that Apple is not planning on an upgrade to the iPod Touch until a year from now, September 2011. He says it will have a camera and up to 90 GB of memory. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I was willing to wait until this September to buy an iPod Touch, but probably won't if the upgrade is, indeed not coming until next September.

Do you think this associate really knows for sure? Any confirmation or accurate info would be greatly appreciated.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I was just at Best Buy this afternoon and a sales associate told me that Apple is not planning on an upgrade to the iPod Touch until a year from now, September 2011. He says it will have a camera and up to 90 GB of memory. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I was willing to wait until this September to buy an iPod Touch, but probably won't if the upgrade is, indeed not coming until next September.

Do you think this associate really knows for sure? Any confirmation or accurate info would be greatly appreciated.

What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??! Thats stupid, if theres no strong rumors about release date before November im buying a third gen.

iMichaela

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Arizona
I HAD to register just to comment

i guess that makes sense, i think a retina would increase demand too.

it makes sense to rid of 8gb, but i think the 16gb would be the most popular. i dont upgrade ever year either, ive never had an ipod touch, or ipod product so... yah, its just a mp3

again we'll see in September. :cool:
Why get rid of the 8gb? People get the 8gd to save money for a heck of a awesome device. If they end up getting rid of the 8gb, then apple needs to make an itouch 4 that's the same price and the 8gb.

My two bits sent from a 2nd gen 8gb itouch.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Why get rid of the 8gb? People get the 8gd to save money for a heck of a awesome device. If they end up getting rid of the 8gb, then apple needs to make an itouch 4 that's the same price and the 8gb.

My two bits sent from a 2nd gen 8gb itouch.

Get rid of 8gb and replace with 16gb for the same price. I think that would increase sales a ton.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC

Best Buy employees know nothing. Why would they clear stock of the third generation ipod touch if they werent going to release a new one until 2011? Where did he pull 90 GB out of? ive heard 8, 16, 32, 64, 128.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Best Buy employees know nothing. Why would they clear stock of the third generation ipod touch if they werent going to release a new one until 2011? Where did he pull 90 GB out of? ive heard 8, 16, 32, 64, 128.

Exactly. If they released it next year that means they would miss out on a Christmas which would devastate sales, because most parents that would buy 4G's if they came out, probably have kids that already have 3G's so they wouldn't buy them. Personally, I think they're gonna replace 8gb with 16gb for the same price, but if they have 32, 16 and 8gb models then what would become of the pricing? :confused:

iMichaela

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Arizona
My two cents

Camera? Not unless the device gets thicker. Apple doesn't like thicker.
Multitasking-guaranteed it's in 4.0
Better res? Likely
Folders- guaranteed in 4.0
Change springboard- guaranteed in 4.0
16gb seems like a step backwards.

I don't see the iTouch getting thicker. They fit two cameras into the iPhone 4. They can fit one into a slimmer design.
I will scream if they don't give us multitasking, folders, and the springboard customization. Sometimes Apple makes stupid mistakes, and that might be one of them. But it is VERY likely.
Better res is guaranteed. They say its a gaming device - this makes it a better gaming device.

How is 16gbs a step backwards?

Camera = thicker? what planet are you on? they just released the 'thinnest smartphone on the market' and that includes two cameras!
all 4.0 features not pertaining to the phone. facetime no. 16 gb yes. better res, yeah probably. really hoping for the new iphone 4 form factor though. its jsut so sleek.

+1

Facetime might be likely though. On another thread someone pointed out that Mr. Jobs said (and I quote) "facetime devices". That might say that iMac, iTouch, and iPad just might be getting facetime. Possible, but maybe not possible. Not everyone has an iPhone 4. :)

I personally dont see how 16gb is a step backward, just cause they got rid of it. last year they confirmed the 3rd gen was gonna have a camera but at the last minute they got rid of it because of some mechanical failure. just based off of the iphone, thats why i said maybe to facetime, they really should have the springboard change, i mean its not that big of a deal, but it makes your ipod touch.... more you. a better res would be nice, has anybody looked at the retina display? its absolutely amazing!!!! i think the touch should have the same glass of the iphone 4, sounds ridiculous, the touch's glass is already scratch resistant enough, well i guess more protection cant hurt, :p, using the same glass that trains and helicopter use, and then stiffening and hardening it like 30x!!! with a zagg invisible shield(made of the plastic that keeps car glass from shattering), the iphones screen would be invincible. i know this doesnt prove much, cause its not dropping, but its pretty cool
+1
The current iPod Touch is thinner than the iPhone 4. So adding a camera would mean having to expand it. Adding a camera and making it as thinner than it already is is just absurd.
I personally want them to make the iTouch wider. It is just too thin for my taste. Plus the iPhone 4 has TWO cameras, and as stated is the thinnest phone on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.