Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
So...
Macbook Pro 15" with Infinity Display + mobile Xeon + 32 GB RAM + Thunderbolt 3, my wallet is ready.

Of course they could use the smaller logic board and terraced battery to increase battery life or give it a 4k display... or just make it thinner, whatever.

Reactions: Cape Dave and radus

mjs402

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Well I don't know if they would optimize a Mac as a Windows 10 computer. I also don't think they will adopt Dell's minimal bezels display but rather take cues from the 12 inch MacBook and just reduce bezel size a bit. Terraced battery will depend on the shape of the computer, but yes, most likely a bit.

As for Xeon and Thunderbolt 3?

They had better include at least TB3 or my next computer will not be a Mac. Xeon will be a huge bonus too. :)

Last edited:

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
2 years ago I'd said the same ... but windows 10 pro has become so advanced, in some aspects even much better than macos x (file copy ..., overall speed)

As someone who has never used OSX, I can't understand all the hype for Windows 10. It's basically 8 with a start menu. Overall speed certainly isn't improved, and I chuckled a bit at your assertion that "file copy" is something to appreciate. Is that a problem with OSX?

As for the touch screen issue, I still haven't used that feature and I've had Windows 8 since it came out. It doesn't seem... Practical? I mean, the mouse and keyboard is a powerful combo. For what I use my PCs for (Photoshop, Minecraft, writing using Word and Scrivener, Internet stuff you can't do on a phone, etc.), a touch screen is really useless. It's great on a phone, but not on a large device meant for productivity and long-term use.

If the new MacBook Pro comes with touchscreen, I'll honestly be a little disappointed and confused. It's just not a practical user interface for a laptop.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm suggesting bezels are a part of Apple's design language...regardless of exclusivity. From iPads to iPhones, there has always a bezel. Even the iMac still has a black bezel.

Would they eliminate it if they could?..who knows. Surely Apple could have gone down this route years ago (perhaps even working with Sharp) if they really wanted to.

Instead, perhaps they see the bezels as a functional design element. Providing a place to hold when using an iPad, and a framing device when using a MB or iMac. The bezel will remain, but simply reduced in size.

I get the allure of zero bezels, and the trend in TV's is certainly going that direction. But do we truly want our on screen images to bleed into the backgrounds of our living rooms?

Dell had an exclusive on Sharp's Infinity displays through August 2015, so it wasn't design language that kept them from implementing it on the rMB.

Source:
http://www.windowscentral.com/hands-new-dell-xps-13

"Dell tells us that the technology behind that thin bezel is exclusive to the XPS 13 through August of this year, meaning there will be no other Ultrabooks on the market to match this specification. Apple is expected also to shift to Sharp displays, but only the XPS 13 will feature this thin-bezel design through late 2015."

nicovh

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Nederland
I'm suggesting bezels are a part of Apple's design language...regardless of exclusivity. From iPads to iPhones, there has always a bezel. Even the iMac still has a black bezel.

Would they eliminate it if they could?..who knows. Surely Apple could have gone down this route years ago (perhaps even working with Sharp) if they really wanted to.

Instead, perhaps they see the bezels as a functional design element. Providing a place to hold when using an iPad, and a framing device when using a MB or iMac. The bezel will remain, but simply reduced in size.

I get the allure of zero bezels, and the trend in TV's is certainly going that direction. But do we truly want our on screen images to bleed into the backgrounds of our living rooms?

I imagine if laptops have a very thin bezel, that a dent or bump on the sides could dramatically damage the screen. Let alone if you accidently drop it.
I like the idea of no bezels for maybe TV's and monitors but for a laptop it would be quite weird and would put the device in a more damage prone area.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
I bought the surface pro 3 i7 512gb when it came out (in addition to my maxed out late 2013 rMBP 15") and I love the touchscreen, and the pen and onenote, try to update-copy a 100gb folder in Macos x and windows 10 - then you will see the difference

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
H
I bought the surface pro 3 i7 512gb when it came out (in addition to my maxed out late 2013 rMBP 15") and I love the touchscreen, and the pen and onenote, try to update-copy a 100gb folder in Macos x and windows 10 - then you will see the difference

How do you use the touchscreen? What programs, what tasks within those programs, what orientation? Are you really using the pen when you have the keyboard out? Or are you using the pen and touchscreen while you use the Surface in a tablet orientation?

NJPT

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011

Saying Apple could have had a bezel-less laptop display years ago and that the bezel will remain is pure speculation. Sharp's Infinity Display is the first example of this kind of technology, and it's garnered rave reviews for Dell's XPS lineup. The bezel-less display is pretty much the first thing most XPS reviews mention, and the fact that Dell owned an exclusive on it has also been heavily emphasized (to point out that other companies couldn't have it for a while). The evidence far more supports that nobody else has done it before because nobody else could do it before.

I'd say any hypothetical benefits of having the bezel as a "framing device" are far outweighed by the non-hypothetical smaller footprint advantages of a bezel-less display. Of all the reviews of the XPS, absolutely nobody has mentioned being bothered by the lack of a bezel causing images to be perceived as bleeding into the background. On the contrary, the attractiveness of the lack of a bezel is pretty much universally cited as a plus.

The only good reason I see not to implement this display is the suboptimal camera placement that results (at least in the XPS lineup). This is admittedly not a minor reason. In any case, we'll find out Apple's design priorities when the redesigned MBP actually arrives.

Reactions: Schubbiii

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
Is that true? I've got the "hi-res" antiglare on my 2011 MBP, so I'm used to 1680x1050 and the current rMBP "native" resolution of 1440x900 of workspace obviously is not an improvement. But figured I could adjust the resolution to one of the non 4x resolutions to increase the work area and still (mostly) benefit from the increase in density. Does this really cause GPU slowdowns in real life usage?
I am using a late 2013 rMBP and I have used it with both 1680x1050 and 1920x1200. With the latter everything became a bit too small for me, so I have mainly used it with the 1680x1050 resolution. Had i had the 15" I would definitely go for no less than 1920x1200. And no, it does not cause any real lige usage slowdowns. I have Intel Iris in my rMBP and it works perfectly fine with a bunch of Adobe programs, a Virtual Machine, Safari, Spotify etc. all working at the same time. I do not play any games, but running at a higher resolution other than the standard 4x scaled is why I bought it in the first place.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
"Tim Cook: Apple won't create 'converged' MacBook and iPad"
or should they write " can't " at this time
to Exile714 - I use the pen in all possible combinations, I can't say when I use the touchscreen I do it intentionally all the time and when I use the rMBP I try it again and again ( with some level of frustration )

Hey, if it's a feature people feel strongly about I'll support it. But I personally don't see a use, and all I want is for you, who does see a use, to describe what those uses are. I'm not being accusatory, just curious how other people do things. Heck, you might even give me some insight into ways I can use my stuff more effectively!

But what, exactly, do you use the touchscreen and pen for? Web browsing, document creation, image work, video, gaming... What?

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Prob been asked before on page 3 of this thread but are we going to get 2TB ssds in the mbps any time soon? Are the companies making them in the right size yet??

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
After reading a few posts on this page (44) I'm now feeling like i should take the time and give Win10 a try. Also I too would love to see Apple offer some 2TB SSD's in both their Macbook Pro line and the iMac line.

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
The 1TB upgrade is 800$ can't image how much they will charge for 2TB 1500$ 2000$? 2TB is not here yet...

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Samsung already offers 2 TB M3-drives. So it's possible. But the price....

was those little external ones that was shown at this years CES? if so how much is the price on those? I wanted to pick up a couple of these.

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
By the way... I would rather prefer a trackpad with pressure sensitivity so you can (optionaly) draw and write on it with ipad pro's pen than a touch screen.

Reactions: Dydegu and nicovh
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.