Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

officelurker

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Does anyone know if these new machines are already at the Apple Store on display (im in Toronto and Yorkdale Mall is closest to me)?

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

Welshy74

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2016
Wales. UK
I believe the previous top spec 15" model from Apple before today had an even faster 2.8GHz CPU and 1TB of storage. That may have been BTO however.

Probably gonna get the John Lewis one at £1,999 which comes with a 3 year warranty also. Cant justify the new price increase
[doublepost=1477610862][/doublepost]
I believe the previous top spec 15" model from Apple before today had an even faster 2.8GHz CPU and 1TB of storage. That may have been BTO however.

Just a thought. If I spec it up like below is it the same as the John Lewis model? I.e. up the processor to 2.5 and the memory to 512?? I get 8% discount with Apple

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MJLQ2B/A&step=config#

raymond lin

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
No MagSafe....Nooooooooooooooooo /sad emoji !!!!!!

I tripped over mine 3 times last week whilst working on my coffee table, it saved me having to get a new MBP many times.

and no SD card slot???? Not the end of the world but it is so handy to have that right there when on set doing a photoshoot.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
The processors may be faster for a minute, in synthetic tests, but intensive rendoring and/or other high cpu tasks in the real world may reveal how severe the throttling becomes due to the thermal constraints apple puts on it because of the 'thinness'.
Either way, if there's no way to upgrade the SSD (which all current mac laptops have), that would be the final deal killer for me anyway. In a so-called "pro" laptop, that's the one last critical user-upgradeable thing that I like to have the flexibility to do.
The first reason is the '2011' prices apple still charges for their SSD's. But also, I can guarantee you that these new models will max out at a 1tb ... and within a year or two we'll be seeing 2 and 4tB SSD's in all sorts of other 'pro' laptops - for reasonalbe prices. Being stuck for good a 1tb (even if I did pay Apple's absurd prices) would be unacceptable to me.

All in all, we can agree to disagree. That said, I still think you need to hit the gym. ;)

You're off your rocker. The new MBP regardless of design will be faster on all accounts (processor, memory, hdd, wireless bands), it will have a brighter, higher color gamut screen with most likely true tone features, it's going to be more secure with a fingerprint scanner for faster unlocking and online payments and purchases, will introduce OLED top menu bar for customized shortcuts (aka more effiecient productivity; read: faster), faster USB-C data transfers, higher resolution external monitor options etc. etc. etc. all while being thinner/lighter for people that decided they needed a PORTABLE computer rather than a desktop.

Sounds pretty optimistic

This is bare minimum. Intel released new processors, which support new ddr4 memory speeds, SSD's have increased cache and read/write speeds, new wireless A/C chips have come out, the screen will be their new wider color standard for sure (zero doubt), and OSX leaks have come out showing code with fingerprint scanner which will play ball with new browser based Apple Pay, and if it works anything like the phone you'll be able to use it to unlock, make App Store purchases etc.

The leaks have already showed its thinner, and USB-c supports super high bandwidth transfers and 4K external monitors etc.

I feel more than comfortable with people bookmarking these expectations for the announcement and returning to give me a % accuracy. I don't feel like these are out of line expectations in any way, but until announced it's certainly filed under opinion

Ok, so I'm back and would like a % on my speculation accuracy ;)

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I wonder what the logic was with MagSafe? Longer battery = less dependency on chargers when out and about? So chargers at desks have much less chance of beg stretched precariously across gaps? Who knows.

I can totally see the long term benefits of moving to USB-C - having four identical. powered ports, two either side which can all handle anything you plug in is a step forward. But the short term position of having to replace cables, limited devices which support them, dongles etc is a PITA.

What's their plan for users who like to use their laptops with big monitors? Are they assuming people will leav their laptops open alongside monitors so they can use the touch features? Or will there be an expensive standalone keyboard relaxed which will have a touch bar on it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
With the release of the next generation of MBPs, this thread is being closed as it served its purpose. We already have a number of threads discussing the design, features and of course price of the new MBPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.