Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fastasleep

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh ok, you make it sound like they're not released period in your original post. Yeah, they just haven't been featured in any products yet (well, the NUC).

Uhh, what? You seem to be carrying on an argument that you've had with someone else. I agree with you, they're not the last to adopt these processors (only in name).

I've said before, these Skylake chips that the MBP will use are new. I've had to explain this many times to people who don't understand that Intel releases variants of their processors throughout the year. Apple will be one of the first to feature them in their products.

Sorry, yes, I was responding to the other user who said "They are always the last to adopt new tech." and didn't realize you were someone else. THAT person doesn't understand that the Skylake chipsets that in all likelihood will be in the new MBPs have not been released in any product yet, hence the "last to adopt" thing is false. You and I are on the same page.

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Yeah this, no matter how good tablets are now they are no where near replacing a laptop. Even if you buy the extra dongles and wifi keyboards etc, still not being able to "workflow" on a laptop.

Yeah but the original question regarded the mbP, not all mac laptops.

I've been feeling a little uneasy the last year or so myself.

domenicop

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
Yeah but the original question regarded the mbP, not all mac laptops.

I've been feeling a little uneasy the last year or so myself.

Any chance we're seeing the matte screen option making a comeback this year?

I borrowed my uncle's notebook a month ago and still haven't returned. It's so comfortable, I work longer, and feel less stressed afterwards.

I love my iMac, but I'll buy ASUS/SAMSUNG as a laptop and run Debian on top of it if Apple will still design his laptop solely based on how much 'wow-s' it receives at the store.

MDull

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I've seen a lot of talk about the glowing Apple on the MBP and honestly until I started following this thread I didn't even know it glowed :)) I find that I am always looking at the other side, silly me. I guess I have been using my Mac all wrong! for yrs!! So now I am wondering if maybe Apple has the glowing Apple for other people to see as a sort of an advertisement. Then my next thought is if someone who has a MBP is so concerned about the glowing Apple what is their real reason for having one. It is sort of cool when I stop what I am doing turn the comp around so I can see it glow but.....

BFskinnerPunk

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
We seem to know so much about unreleased iPhones well before release, but for some reason, Apple is able to keep these Macbook Pro rumors on complete, top secret lock down.
I'm trying to decide on an existing, discounted 2015 macbook pro (or even a maxed out Air...with amazing battery life)...or wait on the upcoming stuff.

Reactions: Federico87

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
We seem to know so much about unreleased iPhones well before release, but for some reason, Apple is able to keep these Macbook Pro rumors on complete, top secret lock down.
I'm trying to decide on an existing, discounted 2015 macbook pro (or even a maxed out Air...with amazing battery life)...or wait on the upcoming stuff.
You should just wait, cause by now Apple will definitely update their MacBook Pros, it's just whether will it be a big update or just hardware specs update.

As for why we don't see rumours about it, I guess cause notebooks isn't that HOT these days hence the appeal to leak such products isn't really there anymore or that Apple is working with a very small group of people, so it's easier to control information from being passed around.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
The phone market is/was the hot market. Seeding info ("leaks" if you will) reminds everyone that "exciting" new products are on the way. That takes away a little temptation to get the latest Samsung device or similar.
Don't forget, everything Apple releases these days are products Jony has "completely redesigned" and a "whole new approach" to the "physical element of design". So that's worth waiting for right?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i very much need a new lap top and hope they dont mess up the new MBP with a total video card failure or exploding batteries. The rigid Apple culture with its secrecy and denial is starting to foster over priced low quality products.

iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks are no longer groundbreaking products, just ones undergoing refinement. Apple hasn't produced a truly novel product in a while. Its last major release, the Apple Watch, did not become a "must-have" among users. Did Apple marketing peeps know less users are wearing watches these days.

the new Apple corporate headquarters is designed like a space ship but the dream is lost and it will never take off again.

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England

It's harder to sneak laptop parts out of the factory. It also makes new MBP launches much more exciting

Reactions: pablosito

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
True, i've always wondered why the iPhone leakers don't get SHUT DOWN.
Leaking iPhone parts/news is much more profitable and easy than Mac parts/news. If you're going to risk your job you want to make sure the profit is worth it. This makes many more willing to risk leaking iPhone releated things due to the cost/risk factor.

Reactions: apolloa

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
The rigid Apple culture with its secrecy and denial is starting to foster over priced low quality products.

Have you ever looked at other manufacturers? HP just announced a new ultra-thin ultrabook which is way more expensive than the Macbook and some (let's say) ''creative'' ideas how to get ultrabooks thinner. Were there any information leaked before? No. Did someone care? Probably not. So, in a way Apple does also foster overprized expensive laptops / notebooks or ultrabooks whatever you call them...

pablosito

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2016
I have a MBP 13" Early 2011, and can hardly wait to get my hands on the 2016 model. Whatever they decide to release, it will nevertheless be a significant upgrade for me, compared to what I'm using today - since the new MBPr will most definitely be thinner, lighter and have a Retina display, a ForceTouch trackpad and SSD (man, just listing all that makes my MBP 2011 feel ancient!).

I would love for it to also include:
- Skylake (of course)
- USB-C is a given
- A redesigned keyboard (like the Magic Keyboard 2015) with individual LED keys
- TrueTone display
- All metal hinge
- Color options

I actually like the current form factor of the MBPr. Hopefully they don't compromise too much when it comes to the ports, like with the MacBook. So I hope they keep MagSafe and SD. I also use HDMI a lot (though, with an adapter on the 2011 model).

Slimmer bezels for a slightly bigger display (14") and TouchID might be asking too much, but would also be welcome additions.

Are these requests realistic? Am I missing something?
They won't do 14". You can bet 13.3" and 15" are here to stay.
All I want in the redesign of the current MBP 13" Retina is the new keyboard from the MacBook 12". I know some hate that keyboard, and some love it. I love it. I use my laptop as a workhorse every day and the keyboard is the most important thing.
I don't really care about anything else. New touchpad; processor; metal hinge; whatever. Keep the ports and magsafe, oh please oh please. At this point if Apple can keep from making the MBP worse, I'll be happy.

powertoold

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced at WWDC and then released in October...

Otherwise, they would have to squeeze it into the iPhone 7 announcement and release it 2-3 weeks later, which would be too much.

pablosito

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2016
Late June through Late September.
Of course that timing is just perfectly wrong for me. :-/ I am going to end up needing something before then and being stuck with the older tech. Bah!
[doublepost=1464123040][/doublepost]
Just my experience watching Apple's laptop trends over 10 years, when 14" has been the most popular PC laptop size yet Apple hasn't budged. Their trend has been more pixel density in smaller screens. They got rid of 17" altogether, and went down to 12" on the new MacBook Retina. Maybe they'll shrink the bezel on the 13" MBP this year and up the screen 14", and pump the 15" model to 16". I just don't see it.

wthomas86

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
San Diego
I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced at WWDC and then released in October...

Otherwise, they would have to squeeze it into the iPhone 7 announcement and release it 2-3 weeks later, which would be too much.

Agreed! I expect the announcement at WWDC as well. Similar to the MacPro

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

That would be a great way to kill MBP sales until October.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Apple only announces products far in advance if they don't care about existing sales, either because it's an all-new product line (iPhone in 2007, Watch in 2014, etc.) or because it's such an old/dead product that there aren't many current sales anyway (Mac Pro).

LudicrousLampost

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2016
hope they dont mess up the new MBP with a total video card failure or exploding batteries. The rigid Apple culture with its secrecy and denial is starting to foster over priced low quality products.
Exploding batteries are an unknown, uncommon and unforeseen occurrence, as are video card failures, and are in no way whatsoever unique to apple.

the Apple Watch, did not become a "must-have" among users.
The apple watch sparked a near instantaneous global phenomenon of both users, copycat watches, and copycat watch buyers. I don't want an apple watch, but it was phenomenal watching so many millions of others suddenly feel they needed one, and then go out and buy the various watches on offer. How you missed seeing that happen, I do not know!!

As a marked event, it was hundreds if not thousands of times bigger than calculator watch phenomenon was, when they first came out.

the new Apple corporate headquarters is designed like a space ship but the dream is lost and it will never take off again.
I have absolutely no idea what this negative person is on about :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.