Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Legend of Zelda Wii U has been delayed - no new launch date, yet... ;)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/27/the-legend-of-zelda-for-wii-u-has-been-delayed

Rumors are that the NX will be a more "advanced" Wii U platform/architecture.

I wouldn't mind it coming sooner. I just wonder why they'd have two big games (Starfox and Zelda) coming next year to the Wii U, and a big multiplayer game out this year. I can only imagine it'll be backwards compatible or they're prepared to shift their big titles to the NX. Which they have done before!

The wishful thinker in me hopes for a summer 2016 launch and has backwards compatibility with all Wii U games (and eShop purchases).

Also... Nintendo said that the new Zelda game was running at 1080p. Perhaps we saw it on NX prototype hardware?

Zelda's been delayed with no new date. Biggest rumor is that it will be an NX launch title...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I'm wondering what the NX will look like, hopefully something small again like both Wii consoles.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-handing-out-nx-console-developer-kits-report

This is good. This is what I was hoping for - some kind of merger between handheld and home console.

What I'm hoping for is the ability to buy a game (probably have to be digitally) and be able to play it on a big TV with better visuals, or anywhere on a handheld.

I'd like backwards compatibility too. I think if Nintendo makes a really interesting console that people are going to want to buy, theres going to be a lot of people who missed out on the Wii U's hits. As far as my own requirements for a next-gen Nintendo system that's all I'm after. And faster menus would be nice!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Will be a veerrryyyyy interesting E3 next year, we should get some great big gun new gen games as devs will have got more used to the hardware, and a new Nintendo console.

I hope Nintendo get this right, I fear if they don't it may lead to being the end for them? But I do feel confident knowing what they can produce that they will make a success out of a new console.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The wishful thinker in me hopes for a summer 2016 launch and has backwards compatibility with all Wii U games (and eShop purchases).

Same. I think chances are good that Wii U purchases can be played on it. Those (rightly) dissappointed
loyal customers - who'd most likely buy another Nintendo console later too - would be all over the internet if it would't be possible. Hopefully they sort their e-shop system out too while they're at it.

I guess timing would be good too. If they wait much longer with the NX they're going to receive continously bad press due the Wii U (still loving it!) while some customers would already talk about PS5 and so - which I'm fairly certain will take a loooong time to be released, but there will be talk about it nevertheless come late 2017 / early 2018 I guess.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
From what the patent looks like, it will just be a disc-less Wii U with the processors inside the gamepad. NX titles will be released on chips and will also take 3DS/DS titles as well. The TV unit will just show what you are playing the the TV when close by or games can take advantage of a second larger screen and more controllers/gamepads.

Supposedly all for supposedly $149.

Would be nice for those that have downloads of Wii U games to be able to download to this unit as well since the Wii U bundles seem to include game downloads.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Article shows what Mario 3D would be like on the NX as the NX is supposed to be on par with the PS4/XBox One when it is released (Nintendo is usually slightly behind the current gen):

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ga...mario-should-look-like-on-nintendo-nx-1298021

"Should" look like (although I heavily disagree with that), not "would". ;)

---

If the NX really is just a streaming unit (hopefully that's wrong), it's nothing for me. It would then bank on Ninty's success in the handheld market, which makes sense but doesn't interest me the least.

I thought they'd separated the console itself from the gamepad - so that you can play on the gamepad/handheld when on the move (which I initially thought would already be possible once I bought the Wii U, should be burried somewhere in the Wii U thread :oops: ) while using it as a controller/second screen when at home. Which is the logical and right step to do imo. But having the handheld run the whole thing mostly on its own? Doubt something remotely graphically noteworthy can be had for $149.

But in case the console is "beasty" GPU with an SSD and the proc is inside the handheld..who knows maybe that'd work.. :eek: :D Although I still think it'd be better if they both could function autonomously but also have the possibility to supplement each other. Think Wii U (without gamepad) and 3ds could be used together, but also separately.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm wondering if the handheld part of this equation will replace the DS line and be sold as an extra rather than in the box peripheral. Personally if it's in the box I don't want it as it will undoubtedly increase the cost of the console initially and if be hesitant over support for it especially third party.

Just give me a powerful Nintendo home console with great graphics, ability to play and keep up with the competition graphically so that I get third party support for current new releases.

Drop extra pricy peripherals (make them optional extras) and get it to the market for $300

Releasing it at $500 against the PS4 or Xbox One will be a repeated disaster once again.

Likewise releasing a device that competes / replaces with the only hardware device your currently having success with (3DS/2DS) is akin to putting all your eggs in one basket. A really crazy move from a financial perspective as if the gamble fails, goodbye Nintendo.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think I read somewhere that the handheld and console would be sold separately. Don't think this is a fact but it does make a lot of sense. They got a lot of negative feedback regarding the gamepad (gimmickly, also drives the costs up which makes it even more unattractive as a secondary console).

The idea of the gamepad was brilliant imo but they marketed it wrong and had the wrong line-up at the start - I guess/hope they learned their lesson and do it right now, shouldn't be impossible. If it'd be even beefier than the PS4 I might get it - although I'd like a BR player included which it won't have most def - I could do with a better design than PS4 and Xbox (ugh!) too btw.

Let's face it, you need powerful graphics and third parties on your system. If you don't screw up your party / friends system and throw a couple of first party Ninty hits in by a good measure it should sell more than good.

Only thing I have no clue about is their DS systmes, thought they just updated their handheld line.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Reactions: Taustin Powers

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Zelda's been delayed with no new date. Biggest rumor is that it will be an NX launch title...
It could do a Twilight Princess. Ie release for the WiiU and NX. Or just be a WiiU game that will play on both consoles just fine.

Sadly screams gimmick. Nintendo need a straight up home console sans gimmicks if they are ever going to recapture an audience and developer support. PS4 & Xbox One (but especially PS4) sales clearly indicate people just want a decent powerful home console.
Actually no. I disagree. Nintendo's innocative controllers of recent are one of the strong points of Nintendo.

The lack of 3rd party support on the WiiU is a complex issue but I will explain it as it makes sence when explained.
  • The WiiU on launch had lots of 3rd party support. Almost too much. But that is never a bad thing.
  • The WiiU on launch had no console selling 1st party game.
  • People do buy 3rd party games to go with their 1st party Nintendo game when they buy Nintendo consoles.
  • Without the good 1st party game for the WiiU launch, the console was not bought and thus no 3rd party games were subsequently bought. This hurt the 3rd party game sales so their devs slowly pulled their support for the WiiU.
Nintendo caused the 3rd party issue itself, but not through any controller design.

The solution for the NX is to launch with a good console selling 1st party game. This will get people to buy the console and also a 3rd party game with it. So far we know Nintendo has Square Enix on board for the NX. That is a great start. We shall see who else Nintendo will get by the time of the NX launch.

To this end the NX needs an innovative controller. Not having the same style of press buttons to play controller that the PS4 and Xbox have (that originated with the NES and possibly before) will not differenterate Nintendo from the competition. Just adding more buttons, controller sticks and a different shape to the NES controller is not inovative. That's just the same thing slightly better. Nintendo innovated with the Wiimote and ganepad. Not the first to use those ideas, but the first of the main console players to do so.

they got a lot of negative feedback regarding the gamepad.
Correct. But this was not due to the existance of it. It was due to the fact Nintendo did not advertise it's features well enough at launch. Also NintendoLand was not enough of a game to advertise the gamepad's features. Sure it's a great "with console" game but there was no stand alone 1st party game that really sold the gamepad's features. This was the bulk of the feedback about the gamepad.

Also the gamepad takes people time to get used to it. I was originally on the fence about it. But now I think it's really good. I use it a lot for VC games and even for some retail WiiU games. I do not even turn the TV on. The only three games I have turned the TV on for on a long time is:
  • Captain Toad
  • Art Academy Atelier
  • Xenoblade Chronices X
This is only because these three games did the gamepad and TV combination so very well. Star Fox Zero seems to do the gamepad/TV combination very well also. XCX is a strange one as I control my character with the pro controller and use the gamepad as an interactive map. This works really well.

Article shows what Mario 3D would be like on the NX as the NX is supposed to be on par with the PS4/XBox One when it is released (Nintendo is usually slightly behind the current gen):

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ga...mario-should-look-like-on-nintendo-nx-1298021
In terms of graphics you are correct. But in terms of innovation it's Sony and Microsoft that are usually slightly behinbd the current generation (ie Nintendo).

Reactions: Lennholm

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Correct. But this was not due to the existance of it.

Never said otherwise. In fact I always loved it - off-tv ftw!

But I disagree on the strong 3rd party support at launch. We got a couple of lazy ports (some really bad ones at that, Fifa for example) of older games, ZombiU which is a fantastic game but a)really niche despite zombi theme and also not that polished as well + Rayman who got delayed into oblivion - showing everybody where it's at right from the start. Cod games didn't get any DLC at all from the get go.

I agree that at least Mario Kart or Smash Bros should have been up there at launch - or at least not that late, or something like Splatoon. Something with online multiplayer which keeps people sinking lots of time into so that the wait for other games appears shorter.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Never said otherwise. In fact I always loved it - off-tv ftw!

But I disagree on the strong 3rd party support at launch. We got a couple of lazy ports (some really bad ones at that, Fifa for example) of older games, ZombiU which is a fantastic game but a)really niche despite zombi theme and also not that polished as well + Rayman who got delayed into oblivion - showing everybody where it's at right from the start. Cod games didn't get any DLC at all from the get go.

I agree that at least Mario Kart or Smash Bros should have been up there at launch - or at least not that late, or something like Splatoon. Something with online multiplayer which keeps people sinking lots of time into so that the wait for other games appears shorter.
I found the booklet from the WiiU launch I have. Here are the games it talks about:

1st party
  1. Nintendo Land
  2. New Super Mario Bros U
  3. Wii Fit U
  4. Pikmin 3
3rd party
  1. ZombiU
  2. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  3. COD Black Ops 2
  4. Batman Arkham City
  5. Mass Effect 3
  6. Darksiders 2
  7. Assassin's Creed 3
  8. Aliens Colonial Marines
  9. Warriors 3
  10. Lego City Undercover
  11. Rayman Legends
  12. Just Dance 4
  13. Sing Party
  14. Sonic All Stars Racing
  15. FIFA 13
  16. NBA2K13
  17. The Wonderful 101
  18. Skylanders Giants
  19. Epic Mickey 2
  20. Rayman Rabbids Land
Sure a few of these games were delayed. But this just goes to show. 4 Nintendo made games, none of them console sellers and 20 3rd party titles either released on Australian launch or at least mentioned officially. Whether some of them are half assed ports or not, twenty 3rd party games is a lot of 3rd party support.

I do agree MK8 or SSB4 or heck even something like Hyrule Warriors or Splatoon should have been ready for launch. Any of those games would have been console sellers. But no, the 4 games Nintendo mention were not console sellers. And Pikmin 3 was noted in the booklet as coming soon, so you could not even use that while you wait for a better Nintendo made game.
The 3rd party support was there for the WiiU. Nintendo just blew it all, as I said above. Lets hope for the NX, Nintendo does not make the same mistakes again.

Reactions: Lennholm

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
the8thark said:
To this end the NX needs an innovative controller. Not having the same style of press buttons to play controller that the PS4 and Xbox have (that originated with the NES and possibly before) will not differenterate Nintendo from the competition. Just adding more buttons, controller sticks and a different shape to the NES controller is not inovative. That's just the same thing slightly better. Nintendo innovated with the Wiimote and ganepad. Not the first to use those ideas, but the first of the main console players to do so.
L).

Innovation for innovations sake is often not at the bequest of gamers or often serving them better.

Motion Controls on Wii made actually limited a lot of wii games or were a poor option to some more traditional style games.

The wii-u control pad even in Nintendo's first party titles has offered very little to the table enhancing game controls in any meaningful way. It's best feature is off screen tv gaming, but that's it.

I've been gaming on Nintendo platforms since the NES. I am not 'new' to Nintendo and their best gaming moments over the last 30!l or more years - irrespective of generational platform - generally never have gimicky controls at their heart of them. Most control in a simple traditional manner where the content was centre stage, not the control scheme.

Regarding third parties, Nintendo needs solid hardware and a consistent controller, so that the machine can keep a pace with the competition or better it, so that multi platform ports do not suffer on the machine.

Underpowered hardware, or difficult to programme hardware with a doubly difficult / verging on limited controller making translating games to the platform screams of the mistakes of the last 10 years and why third party support has been lacklustre.

Likewise Nintendo need a clear defined message with the hardware that says 'this is what I do, this isn't why I exist, this is why you should buy me'...

Nintendo first party games may often be great with a few notable turkeys pushed out to fill the MASSIVE gaps in release schedules - simply do not sell consoles alone.

More than anything else, Nintendo needs 3rd party support and ANYTHING that could jeopardise that, resulting in the same old mistakes and dwindling support - will not help its cause.

Give me beautiful powerful hardware, akin to the wow factor the Panasonic Q had, and give me a controller that feels fantastic in my hands, simply disappearing in them with a familiarity that allows me to enjoy the content on my screen, not staring down at my fingertips.

We wait and see, but if they feck up yet again with the NX - it will be a tragedy, but one of their own making.

Reactions: Taustin Powers

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You made some good points there. I agree with much of it.

Innovation for innovations sake is often not at the bequest of gamers or often serving them better.
I agree. That's no different to HD for HD's sake. Without the fun factor the game will not be fun. There has to be a point to all the additions from all of the big 3 (Sony, MS and Nintendo). So far all 3 are justify them relatively well.

Motion Controls on Wii made actually limited a lot of wii games or were a poor option to some more traditional style games.
For a few games like Xenoblade Chronicles and the 2 Zelda games I agree. But we can't deny the sales effect the Wiimote had. The Wiimote sold the Wii so very well.

The wii-u control pad even in Nintendo's first party titles has offered very little to the table enhancing game controls in any meaningful way. It's best feature is off screen tv gaming, but that's it.
I mostly agree with this. Very few games have used the gamepad well. Most of them were not released on launch though. The only 2 on launch were NintendoLand and ZombiU. The first was just a bunch of overly hard mini games and the other was a really niche game, not a big seller. That hurt the WiiU on launch. No great 1st party game selling what the gamepad can do.

Sure later on, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Art Academy Atelier and Star Fox Zero exist (or will exist). But they all came much too late. By then the writing was already on the WiiU's wall.

I've been gaming on Nintendo platforms since the NES. I am not 'new' to Nintendo and their best gaming moments over the last 30!l or more years - irrespective of generational platform - generally never have gimicky controls at their heart of them. Most control in a simple traditional manner where the content was centre stage, not the control scheme.
So we are both older gamers. I started gaming on the NES. My first game was Zelda 2.
I just think today the big 3 all have different ideas of what the best way to give their customers fun is. Sony and MS used better graphics, longer more indepth games and a richer online multiplayer experience. Nintendo on the other hand use innovative controls. Not just for the sake of them, but it's in their DNA to think outside the box. That is a little hit and miss. None of the bog 3 are wrong for what they do, they are all just doing in different directions.

Regarding third parties, Nintendo needs solid hardware and a consistent controller, so that the machine can keep a pace with the competition or better it, so that multi platform ports do not suffer on the machine.
This is an issue because most multiplatform ports are just lazy on the WiiU side and don't use the gamepad much or at all. Secondly there is no real reason to spend a lot on developing a WiiU port because they are traditionally best sellers. Most of the Nintendo best sellers are Nintendo exclusives.

Also keeping pace is a subjective thing. You can talk graphics. And that's understandable. But you can also talk in other ways. With a standard controller, games like Splatoon would not be able to exist. The real issue with 3rd party ports in my opinion is that Nintendo till recently had not made developing for Nintendo hardware an easy experience. The Nintendo SDK's abd API sets and other things were barebones at best. Made people think twice for developing on Nintendo. Concerning harware power and Nintendo controller choice, 99.9% of the 3rd party developers that refused ot develop for the WiiU all cited a lack of sales as their reason. That's a legit reason and I can understand. onle one cited not enough WiiU CPU/GPU grunt. That was for Project Cars. They seriously tried to make the game for WiiU and gave up after they realised what they wanted to do was too much for the WiiU. Fair enough. But Xenoblade Chronicles X proves that with the right compromises you can make a great looking game on the console.

I did go a little off topic there but I think you get my point.

Underpowered hardware, or difficult to programme hardware with a doubly difficult / verging on limited controller making translating games to the platform screams of the mistakes of the last 10 years and why third party support has been lacklustre.
The WiiU being underpowered is a myth. As I said above only the Project Cars people cited that as the reason they pulled WiiU support for their game. Xenoblade Chronicels X as I said above proves that amazing things can be done with the WiiU. But difficult to program for is 100% correct. Till recently, Nintendo consoles have been a nightmare to develop for. Nintendo did not go out of it's way with it's SDK's and other things. Slowly Nintendo though are learning that was a mistake and needs to fix it up.

Likewise Nintendo need a clear defined message with the hardware that says 'this is what I do, this isn't why I exist, this is why you should buy me'...
I disagree. No one cares for Nintendo hardware like they do for Playstation hardware. Nintendo hardware is only the price of admission to play the Nintendo games. Nintendo need to have amazing games so people pay the console admission price to play them. Without the amazing games, Nintendo consoles do not sell and Nintendo go out of business as they do not have other departments like Sony and MS to cover a failing console department.

Nintendo first party games may often be great with a few notable turkeys pushed out to fill the MASSIVE gaps in release schedules - simply do not sell consoles alone.
Actually a few great Nintendo games to sell consoles. . . but this is mostly to the Nintendo faithful who are waiting for that one good game they want. Nintendo's issue now is how to get new customers. The old faithful like us are getting older now. 30+ mostly. Nintendo need to do more to get the 15-30 year old market. I do hope the NX launch will somehow deal with this issue.

More than anything else, Nintendo needs 3rd party support and ANYTHING that could jeopardise that, resulting in the same old mistakes and dwindling support - will not help its cause.
If sales are anything to go by, Nintendo need it's 1st party games more than anything else. 1st party games sell Nintendo hardware. It's that simple. The WiiU is the best example. No good 1st party hardware on launch and the hardware sales were just not there. Good 3rd party support is important too. And I think Nintendo realise this. All of Nintendo's cross promotions, with Smash Bros 4, Super Mario Maker, MK8 and others is proof of this. But theyb are just a drop in the ocean. The NX launch will proove to us all if Nintendo has learnt from it's WiiU mistakes or not.

Give me beautiful powerful hardware, akin to the wow factor the Panasonic Q had, and give me a controller that feels fantastic in my hands, simply disappearing in them with a familiarity that allows me to enjoy the content on my screen, not staring down at my fingertips.
That's fair enough. Each to their own. A lot of people like exactly what you describe and there are developers out there to cater for you.
Myself on the other hand, want fun. That's it, fun in a game. I have an open mind I will let the game decide how it will provide me with that fun. Be it a traditional control scheme or a touch screen or something elese entirely. Fun to me is fon, no matter what the control scheme is.

We wait and see, but if they feck up yet again with the NX - it will be a tragedy, but one of their own making.
Yes we do. I don't think the WiiU is a disaster, but many mistakes were done with it. If the NX is not an improvement, it will not mean the end of Nintendo, but it will not look good for them in the long term.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
The lack of 3rd party support on the WiiU is a complex issue but I will explain it as it makes sence when explained.
  • The WiiU on launch had lots of 3rd party support. Almost too much. But that is never a bad thing.
  • The WiiU on launch had no console selling 1st party game.
  • People do buy 3rd party games to go with their 1st party Nintendo game when they buy Nintendo consoles.
  • Without the good 1st party game for the WiiU launch, the console was not bought and thus no 3rd party games were subsequently bought. This hurt the 3rd party game sales so their devs slowly pulled their support for the WiiU.

This is 100% correct. It's a bit frustrating that so many people fail to see this, they always resort to the easy but insufficient answers like "underpowered", "kiddy", "gimmicky" etc. The 3DS proves that it is the games that sell the hardware, not the specs.

Reactions: the8thark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.