Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
An interesting article:

"Nintendo NX: 5 Rumored Specs And Features That Can Destroy PS4 And Xbox One In 2016"

http://www.designntrend.com/article...nx-rumor-specs-features-ps4-xbox-one-2016.htm

With the XBox One and PS4 already out for a while, graphics on the NX can be on-par with those. Though I fail to see how the graphics on the Wii U were considered "horrible" with games such as Pikmin 3.

I find that going back to carts interesting - why not? I recently got a 32Gig SD card for $5. No optical drive to break down.

Heck the cheap laptop i'm writing this on has all solid state memory - boots lightning fast.

Latest rumor is that the NX will be unveiled at E3.
The problem is at the rumored $199 price I fail to see how the specs could possibly be better than either of those two devices.

Remembering Nintendo never sell hardware at a loss, it's untenable to think that at anything like that price they could produce a device as capable let alone more capable than the ps4.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The problem is at the rumored $199 price I fail to see how the specs could possibly be better than either of those two devices.

Remembering Nintendo never sell hardware at a loss, it's untenable to think that at anything like that price they could produce a device as capable let alone more capable than the ps4.

Not supposed to be better, but "on-par" with the XBox One. Do-able at $199 price if the unit releases November 2016.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I wouldn't be surprised, given that rumors say that developer consoles haven't been on the market very long.

But then again, Nintendo gained quite a bit from having more demand than production when the Wii was released. It was totally hyped.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nintendo needs to cut it's losses at this point and just license it's games out. It worked for Saga, it can work for Nintendo too. Get out of the console business.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Nintendo needs to cut it's losses at this point and just license it's games out. It worked for Saga, it can work for Nintendo too. Get out of the console business.

I don't see that happening. How well is Sega's business doing, really? According to this most recent article I could find Nintendo isn't doing too bad -- they still have a good sized stock pile of money to tap into if need be:

Nintendo has over $4.6 Billion in the Bank

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/nintendo-4-6-billion-bank/

Reactions: 0098386

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't see that happening. How well is Sega's business doing, really? According to this most recent article I could find Nintendo isn't doing too bad -- they still have a good sized stock pile of money to tap into if need be:

Nintendo has over $4.6 Billion in the Bank

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/nintendo-4-6-billion-bank/
They can't afford anymore flop consoles though.

Don't forget that Nintendo has more major titles than Sega. Mario alone would rake in billions on other platforms.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
They can't afford anymore flop consoles though.

Don't forget that Nintendo has more major titles than Sega. Mario alone would rake in billions on other platforms.

If licensing your popular IP to other platforms is such a sure way to make billions more in profits, then why isn't Apple licensing OS X and iOS to other platforms?
They actually tried that back in the early nineties and it almost ended in disaster. Luckily they abandoned that strategy, decided to stick to their philosophy of vertical integration and it greatly contributed to Apple's comeback and becoming the most valuable company in the world.
On the other hand Sega, which did exactly what you recommend Nintendo to do, is now a mere shell of its former self that has completely eroded its brand value and franchises.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Mario alone would rake in billions on other platforms.
It would also kill what Nintendo is. Mario being a Nintendo exclusive is no different to OS X being a Mac exclusive. The hardware is the price of admission. The hardware price keeps both companies in business and they can make sure the hardware is totally optimised to use the software at it's full potential.

If Mario was on something else other than Nintendo, it'd be the end of Mario. RIP.
I do think the new DeNA mobile game is not a Mario one. It'll be something like Animal Crossing or similar.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

And then there's the 3DS and Pokemon.

I don't know why Apple make laptops and computers. They should just cut their losses and license OSX out for specific non-Apple made hardware.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If licensing your popular IP to other platforms is such a sure way to make billions more in profits, then why isn't Apple licensing OS X and iOS to other platforms?
They actually tried that back in the early nineties and it almost ended in disaster. Luckily they abandoned that strategy, decided to stick to their philosophy of vertical integration and it greatly contributed to Apple's comeback and becoming the most valuable company in the world.
On the other hand Sega, which did exactly what you recommend Nintendo to do, is now a mere shell of its former self that has completely eroded its brand value and franchises.
Apple has good hardware, that is the difference. Nintendo hasn't had a hit since the Wii. And even sales of that dropped off after a year. They cannot keep up with Sony or Microsoft in the console side, and the iPhone will start eating into the handheld market.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple has good hardware, that is the difference. Nintendo hasn't had a hit since the Wii. And even sales of that dropped off after a year. They cannot keep up with Sony or Microsoft in the console side, and the iPhone will start eating into the handheld market.
The WiiU has finally got Nintendo out of the red and into profit again. That's what Nintendo are after (I assume). What Nintendo call a hit and what everyone else calls a hit are two vey different things. Profit wise Nintendo is keeping up very well with Sony's gaming division. Actually it was Nintendo that found profit again before Sony's gaming division did.

People need to stop always thinking that raw sales are the only means to measure success. In many ways only thinknig on the raw sales front is a bad way to measure success. There are a lot of other factors that need to be considered.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The WiiU has finally got Nintendo out of the red and into profit again. That's what Nintendo are after (I assume). What Nintendo call a hit and what everyone else calls a hit are two vey different things. Profit wise Nintendo is keeping up very well with Sony's gaming division. Actually it was Nintendo that found profit again before Sony's gaming division did.

People need to stop always thinking that raw sales are the only means to measure success. In many ways only thinknig on the raw sales front is a bad way to measure success. There are a lot of other factors that need to be considered.
But what is the lasting power of Nintendo systems now, long gone are the days of the N64 or Super Nintendo. Do they have the titles to outlast the hype. Where people enjoy it for a few months and then get bored of it. That's what happened to the Wii.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
But what is the lasting power of Nintendo systems now, long gone are the days of the N64 or Super Nintendo. Do they have the titles to outlast the hype. Where people enjoy it for a few months and then get bored of it. That's what happened to the Wii.
Yes, because their titles still sell in the millions. Nintendo games retain their value in the second hand market too because people are less likely to sell them on to begin with. Console games still sell in the millions - just because cheap, small, addictive mobile games exist doesn't mean big games have dried up (regardless of console). Just look at the PS4!
[doublepost=1460914240][/doublepost]
So they sold consoles but are people still playing the system? Are they selling a lot of titles compared to Sony?
Yes, I linked you to the Pokemon one. Also of note Splatoon and Mario Kart are owned by something like 1/3 to 1/2 of all Wii U owners.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes, because their titles still sell in the millions. Nintendo games retain their value in the second hand market too because people are less likely to sell them on to begin with. Console games still sell in the millions - just because cheap, small, addictive mobile games exist doesn't mean big games have dried up (regardless of console). Just look at the PS4!
[doublepost=1460914240][/doublepost]
Yes, I linked you to the Pokemon one. Also of note Splatoon and Mario Kart are owned by something like 1/3 to 1/2 of all Wii U owners.
Mario Kart is the go to game at this point. But are they playing anything else. Nintendo doesn't have a big enough catalog anymore to satisfy hard core gamers. Does Nintendo want that market or are they happy going after the teenagers only?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mario Kart is the go to game at this point. But are they playing anything else. Nintendo doesn't have a big enough catalog anymore to satisfy hard core gamers. Does Nintendo want that market or are they happy going after the teenagers only?
You'll have to ask those people. A lot of us here seem to be playing Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Splatoon. I'm playing the new Zelda as well as those games, and some virtual console titles. As for what market Nintendo wants, you'll have to ask them too.
Similarly I'd like to ask Apple about why they continue to mess around pro users, are they only happy going after teenagers who want nice, albeit limited phones?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You could also say "does any console have games that outlast the hype?" Sony and MS are in the same boat as Nintendo is here. Most of the PS and Xbox games do not outlast the initial hype. This is something all modern game developers need to worry about. I would say Nintendo is doing the best at it with it's DLC packs. Super Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon (just to mention 3) are relatively popular months after they were released thanks to the DLC slowly coming over the months to keep the gamers interested.

The Sony and MS DLC season passes are similar to this. They try just as hard to work as well but it's the same basic principle.

That's very true. I must be on that other half. I really like the WiiU games I own. I do not own Splatoon or MK8. I have zero interst in these two games. I do understand how popular they are though.

Nintendo is going for quality over quantity. You have Smash Bros 4, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero (soon), Monster Hunter 3U (and a few others too) for the more intense gamers to enjoy. That is without taking a look at all the good eShop content on the WiiU. Nintendo is specifically going for the hardcore gamer with the WiiU. They know the casual market (ie Wii) is not a sustainable market long term. It is much to volatile. That's why Nintendo made the shift back to the more intense gamer with the WiiU. The NX I am sure will keep this trend happening.

You'll have to ask those people. A lot of us here seem to be playing Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Splatoon. I'm playing the new Zelda as well as those games, and some virtual console titles. As for what market Nintendo wants, you'll have to ask them too.
Similarly I'd like to ask Apple about why they continue to mess around pro users, are they only happy going after teenagers who want nice, albeit limited phones?
Steve Jobs comment about always needing trucks comes to mind. I am sure you know exactly what comment I am referring to. It's very true. Sure the truck market is a lot smaller, but without it, the rest would come falling down. The truck market is the core, the foundation that everything else is built upon. Small, but very important.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You could also say "does any console have games that outlast the hype?" Sony and MS are in the same boat as Nintendo is here. Most of the PS and Xbox games do not outlast the initial hype. This is something all modern game developers need to worry about. I would say Nintendo is doing the best at it with it's DLC packs. Super Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon (just to mention 3) are relatively popular months after they were released thanks to the DLC slowly coming over the months to keep the gamers interested.
Exactly, that's why I can't get my head around these comments. I can't work out if this is another "we don't need any games manufacturers - only iPhones and Apple TVs" type post or what.

That's very true. I must be on that other half. I really like the WiiU games I own. I do not own Splatoon or MK8. I have zero interst in these two games. I do understand how popular they are though.

Nintendo is going for quality over quantity. You have Smash Bros 4, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero (soon), Monster Hunter 3U (and a few others too) for the more intense gamers to enjoy.
I completely forgot about those other games, haha! But I get ya. I go back to Mario Maker every weekend, it's a nice Saturday morning type game. Big fan of Nintendoland when friends are over, and Captain Toad is good for winding down with too.

I think I put more hours into my PS4 because of Star Wars Battlefront. But that's all I play on that system for now whereas I'm hopping between games on my 3DS and Wii U.

Steve Jobs comment about always needing trucks comes to mind. I am sure you know exactly what comment I am referring to. It's very true. Sure the truck market is a lot smaller, but without it, the rest would come falling down. The truck market is the core, the foundation that everything else is built upon. Small, but very important.
Never heard that but that's a really good quote.

Ultimately I know a lot of people like their mobile phones, and those people like their quick 69p games on them. I used to too. But gaming is an expanding market - it's not cannibalising itself. The Wii U didn't sell as much as the Wii (but still made a profit), and I think any console is going to find it difficult to match the PS2, DS, or Wii in terms of lifetime sales. But the folk who think big budget, "full fat" games are going anywhere are crazy. AAA development is costing more and more (look at Fire Emblem Fates, albeit a very huge game but being spread over 3 separate 3DS titles to cover development costs). So you're either going to have to pay full price for games or enjoy playing minigame-type games.

Reactions: the8thark

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010

The difference is that Apple focuses on premium hardware while Nintendo focuses on affordable hardware. Those times that Nintendo focused the most on affordability over specs are the times they have been the most successful. The Game Boy, DS, Wii and 3DS were all significantly lower spec'd than their competition but they're Nintendo's most successful systems thanks to being affordable while still having excellent software.
So there's really nothing historically that suggest that Nintendo has problems because of their "weak" hardware.

People have been saying that smart phones and such would kill the handheld market ever since the iPhone and iPod Touch came out, but the fact is that the 3DS (which was already weaker than current smart phones when it came out in 2011, btw) shows that the handheld market has survived a lot better than even the most optimistic analysts believed. Why do you think iPhone sales would start to significantly hurt it now all of a sudden?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I have an old 3DS XL and would love to upgrade. At the local Gamestops the salespeople are saying a lot of people are doing so. This is mainly also because you can't have these 3D type of games on smartphones/tablets.

As far as the Wii U console, people were saying (and I agree) that Nintendo should've just forgotten the Touchpad controller and included only the Wii U Pro controller (which I think is the best/most comfortable controller to date). The Wii U would've come in $100 cheaper and there would've been more third party development.

Nintendo has always sold their previous consoles mainly on a lower price and their IP games.

They could do it again with the NX, but I guess we'll see at the announcement.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
As far as the Wii U console, people were saying (and I agree) that Nintendo should've just forgotten the Touchpad controller and included only the Wii U Pro controller (which I think is the best/most comfortable controller to date). The Wii U would've come in $100 cheaper and there would've been more third party development.

I agree that it's too expensive compared to Ps4 / X1. Nowadays it's "all" about graphics comparisons (of stills mostly, framerate, what is that? :rolleyes:) so they looked outdated as soon as the newer gen hit the shelves while being not that much cheaper - as a secondary console should be. So including the touchpad was a bold move, which cost them customers, I would agree there. On the other hand, I would have never gotten the touchpad were it not included and think it's totally awesome and besides the fun games of Nintendo makes the Wii U a truly great and unique console (that sadly nobody owns).

The problem with the lack of third party is all about chip architecture I'd say though. That was just a plain wrong decision by Ninty and the nail in the coffin.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I agree that it's too expensive compared to Ps4 / X1. Nowadays it's "all" about graphics comparisons (of stills mostly, framerate, what is that? :rolleyes:) so they looked outdated as soon as the newer gen hit the shelves while being not that much cheaper - as a secondary console should be. So including the touchpad was a bold move, which cost them customers, I would agree there. On the other hand, I would have never gotten the touchpad were it not included and think it's totally awesome and besides the fun games of Nintendo makes the Wii U a truly great and unique console (that sadly nobody owns).

The problem with the lack of third party is all about chip architecture I'd say though. That was just a plain wrong decision by Ninty and the nail in the coffin.

Nintendo already has a neat handheld system - the 3DS/2DS systems. They need a great console system as this next one, IMHO, will be their "Dreamcast" system.

I think it would be cool if the rumor of the NX being a standalone smaller Wii U touchpad type system with a detachable "chromcast-like" wireless dongle that attaches to any HDMI tv for a larger or second screen is true. It would have the DS cart slot for NX games, and 3DS/DS games with the external screen being the top screen and friends can bring their system over for multi-player games. All for $199.

But that would make too much sense.... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.