Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
what's your guys' take on it?
everyone from Drake to Taylor Swift to Maroon 5 to Chris Brown all have channeled the 80s into their current hits.
granted, these artists are a far cry from the madonnas, cyndi laupers, and princes that we know, they still capture that vibe and feel, which is i think is awesome. pop beats, synth and that miami vice feel still gets me. fairlight CMI anyone?

who are you taking notice of with their 80s sound?

thought Swift did a great job of hitting that 80s vibe on her 1989, but a new one has dethroned her from my ears.

Carly Rae Jepsen.

Yes...that Call Me Maybe girl.

Her latest effort, dropping next month, E∙MO∙TION has turned me into a fan. after 'call me maybe' i wrote her off as a 1-hit wonder. clearly i was mistaken. it's 80s dance-synth bombastic pop perfection. her vocals could use a bit more work, and the lyrical content might be up for debate (mostly about love, boys and crushes) but the production on these songs is fantastic, something not to be overlooked. she definitely hit her stride and found her sound on this album.

check her out if not for the fandom of the artist, but simply for that throwback sound.
my bad for this being super-long, just wanted to elaborate more than say 'its great.'

Attachments

• tumblr_npdfe9l3Io1s03li1o1_500.png
    tumblr_npdfe9l3Io1s03li1o1_500.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,769

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's not just music, but television as well. The new show Mr. Robot has a complete 80's vibe to its production value with music, opening credits, etc..

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
It's not just music, but television as well. The new show Mr. Robot has a complete 80's vibe to its production value with music, opening credits, etc..

ah see, i don't have cable! that sounds great, I'm gonna have to see about catching it some other way.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Me personally am loving it. Been a huge 80's fan since living through it and can't get enough of the synth sound. Much better than the 70's comeback.

I subscribe to music streaming service Deezer. 80s inspired synthpop house music is right up my street and luckily there's shed loads on there. Especially from France.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Same here but my 70s music collection is far larger than my 80s. 80s music was meh, for the most part.
There's certain things I like of the 80s, AC/DC for instance but yeah I agree, I like the 70s music quite a bit more, i.e., Led Zeppelin :D

Reactions: motulist

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Love the gritty, synthetic 80s! Not just music, movies too.
Not following mainstream musicians at all so this is news to me. Interesting, but I guess those 30-40 year olds have enough money to be an attractive target. ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Maybe it's just me, but music needs to do more than incorporate synthesizers to sound like 80's music to me.

I agree, but it helps. And then there are certain songs that just have that 80's feel to them. Take Walk the Moon's "Shut up and Dance." From the lyrics of the song to the feel of the music it could be ripped from an 80's film.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I lived through the 80s too, and rather liked a lot of the music that was out at the time, and not always the most obviously popular music either; some of the British stuff from the 80s was outstanding.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
80s references in music have been "back" for quite some time. I definitely noticed it creeping back in during the early 2000s, and it's only gained momentum and crossed over to quite a few different genres of music.

But now, you see more and more 90s cues popping up again. It seems the post-millennial mood is pretty much never-ending nostalgia. Not that that's a bad thing to me, as I love a wide range of music across genres and decades. I mean, if I had to make a snap decision, I'd say that the 80s were the decade I keep coming back to, but there's loads of great stuff from other decades and my decision is not so straightforward.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
80s references in music have been "back" for quite some time. I definitely noticed it creeping back in during the early 2000s, and it's only gained momentum and crossed over to quite a few different genres of music.

But now, you see more and more 90s cues popping up again. It seems the post-millennial mood is pretty much never-ending nostalgia. Not that that's a bad thing to me, as I love a wide range of music across genres and decades. I mean, if I had to make a snap decision, I'd say that the 80s were the decade I keep coming back to, but there's loads of great stuff from other decades and my decision is not so straightforward.

Absolutely agree. In the independent/electronic department this is going on for a long time now. Maybe elsewhere just the same but that's where I noticed it quite heavily. 90s techno is being paid tribute to now quite strong as well. I wonder how long it will take till we wear our trousers backwards again like krisskross taught us to?

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Absolutely agree. In the independent/electronic department this is going on for a long time now. Maybe elsewhere just the same but that's where I noticed it quite heavily. 90s techno is being paid tribute to now quite strong as well. I wonder how long it will take till we wear our trousers backwards again like krisskross taught us to?

And here I thought they taught us to "Jump, Jump". ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Silencio

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
DIE 80's DIE!!!

I can live with the music, sort of. But if the fashion trends and hair styles start coming back, I'm crawling under a rock til it's over. I was born in 1989. I managed to avoid the 80's the first time around and I certainly don't wanna start living it now!

And women with shoulder pads are gross.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.