Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
I mostly enjoyed episode 2
The star in the rally car section is painful. somebody needs to tell Evans he not hosting TFI Friday any more.
Mind you, the old "News" section frequently used to make me want to put my fist through the screen as well.

Interestingly it looks like we might actually get a proper car review next week
"Elsewhere, Rory Reid tests the new Ford Focus RS..."

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
I mostly enjoyed episode 2
The star in the rally car section is painful. somebody needs to tell Evans he not hosting TFI Friday any more.
Mind you, the old "News" section frequently used to make me want to put my fist through the screen as well.

Interestingly it looks like we might actually get a proper car review next week
"Elsewhere, Rory Reid tests the new Ford Focus RS..."

The second episode was definitely better than the first.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I've been tweeting about it but this is how I've found it so far:
Episode 1 = dud do not watch
Episode 2 = improvement and good
Episode 3 = Good a big budget episode

Guest appearances so far have been the best I've seen on Topgear and Chris Evans is better at interviewing them than Clarkson was.

Chris Evans screams too much and is not a good main host but I would keep him for interviewing celebs.

Chris Harris looks like a better main host and stole a lot of lime light from Evans.

Matt Le Blanc is surprisingly good for a yank

Rory Reid and Sabine Schmitz have provided good segments so far

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Guest appearances so far have been the best I've seen on Topgear and Chris Evans is better at interviewing them than Clarkson was.

Chris Evans screams too much and is not a good main host but I would keep him for interviewing celebs.

Chris Harris looks like a better main host and stole a lot of lime light from Evans.

If have to disagree.
I think all three episodes have been duds.
Tonight has more of a three way race/challenge so hopefully it will work better.
But I'll watch it on the iplayer later this week as I'll be watching football.

Reactions: George Dawes

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
If have to disagree.
I think all three episodes have been duds.
Tonight has more of a three way race/challenge so hopefully it will work better.
But I'll watch it on the iplayer later this week as I'll be watching football.

Fair enough everyone has their view.
I'll be watching tonight (i'm not a football fan) and will see the season out, but after the dud 1st episode I felt the others felt like Topgear episodes with different hosts.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England

I agree with all of this. Well summarised.

I'm really surprised at how good Matt has been considering he has a somewhat monotone voice and at first appears to be a bit of a personality vacuum. He's been quite funny and natural I think.

I love Chris Harris. I've watched his YouTube videos for years and have been saying that he needs to have his own show or be on top gear, so I was really pleased when he was announced. Really looking forward to seeing more of him on the show.

Overall I think it's been ok. The old three were getting far too scripted and tired in my opinion and Clarkson was just out to shock and offend as many people as he could - he's like some kind of overprivileged school kid.

Reactions: Three141

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I agree with all of this. Well summarised.

I'm really surprised at how good Matt has been considering he has a somewhat monotone voice and at first appears to be a bit of a personality vacuum. He's been quite funny and natural I think.

I love Chris Harris. I've watched his YouTube videos for years and have been saying that he needs to have his own show or be on top gear, so I was really pleased when he was announced. Really looking forward to seeing more of him on the show.

Overall I think it's been ok. The old three were getting far too scripted and tired in my opinion and Clarkson was just out to shock and offend as many people as he could - he's like some kind of overprivileged school kid.

Thanks!

I felt the segment with Tinnie Tempah brought out Matt's personality and I warmed to him, I think but I may be wrong that he does not particularly like working with Evans, they don't seem to gel.

I've been following Evans on YouTube for ages too! hopefully you watched:
he belong on Topgear, I always felt he was going to be 'new' Topgear when Clarkson and were due to leave more gracefully.

I completely agree with you on the Clarkson part but not many seem to see it.

If they do have a shake up down the line I think bringing in Marino Franchitti might me interesting as I thought he did well in Chris Evans video

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
Episode 4: Was not as good as 2 & 3 it was just OK (old Topgear had some of those too).

I liked the Tesla segment (as you would expect) was actually surprised to see how useable those falcon wing doors were.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I think that a lot of die hard Clarkson fans just want it to fail because it doesn't have the three stooges in it any more and regardless of what it is actually like, they're going to pan it. Having said that I'll watch The Grand Tour when it launches later this year but I imagine that I'll be groaning and sighing through most of it like I used to watching them on Top Gear. Clarkson will be able to be even more bigoted and provocative free from the shackles of the BBC, so the politically incorrect crowd will no doubt lap that up.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. That Aston was awesome. What a great noise.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....Chris Evans screams too much and is not a good main host ...

:D very true, and his grin while screaming is not attractive either.........he seems to be trying way too hard to assume Clarkson's character on the show.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I think that a lot of die hard Clarkson fans just want it to fail because it doesn't have the three stooges in it any more and regardless of what it is actually like, they're going to pan it. Having said that I'll watch The Grand Tour when it launches later this year but I imagine that I'll be groaning and sighing through most of it like I used to watching them on Top Gear. Clarkson will be able to be even more bigoted and provocative free from the shackles of the BBC, so the politically incorrect crowd will no doubt lap that up.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. That Aston was awesome. What a great noise.

That Aston sound was brilliant, reminded me of an old school F1 car! and I thought it was a smart move kicking it off with Chris.

Sad but true, some don't even realise Topgear was around before Clarkson; I'll be watching Grandtour also and I think the irony is if he is let off his shackles his jibes won't be as creative but like you say most won't care.
[doublepost=1466369477][/doublepost]
:D very true, and his grin while screaming is not attractive either.........he seems to be trying way too hard to assume Clarkson's character on the show.

Lol that grin is cringe worthy isn't it?! on last weeks episode, I'm sure I was not going mad I could of swore he laughed exactly like Pee Wee Herman!

Reactions: MacRy

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
and so Chris Evans is quitting the show........probably necessary if the show is to survive

report;
Chris Evans quits Top Gear after one series
Star quits motoring show saying his ‘best shot’ wasn’t enough but BBC thought to be in talks with Matt LeBlanc for second series

Chris Evans has quit Top Gear a day after his first series in charge of the BBC2 motoring show finished with its lowest ratings since 2002.

The Radio 2 breakfast show presenter, who took charge after Jeremy Clarkson was axed last year, said he had given it his best shot but “sometimes that’s not enough”.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
and so Chris Evans is quitting the show........probably necessary if the show is to survive

report;

This is the best move for both parties, they don't need to replace Chris as the current cast (minus Eddie Jordan) is fine.
It's unlucky for Chris and I thought he wiped the flaw with Clarkson when it came to interviewing celebrities.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I can't seeing it improving the ratings much. They would have done much better calling it something else (treat it as a totally new show) so people didn't compare it to the original.

Given the income the show produced, I can understand why they would want to try to continue on with "Top Gear", although they might have changed the content a bit so that it fit the new team better instead of merely trying to be the old show with a new cast

This is the best move for both parties, they don't need to replace Chris as the current cast (minus Eddie Jordan) is fine.
It's unlucky for Chris and I thought he wiped the flaw with Clarkson when it came to interviewing celebrities.

Chris Evans proved to do a very poor Clarkson impression though, which was unfortunate but that's what it seemed like he was attempting most of the time.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Probably for the best
Evans seemed to think he was still presenting TFI Friday to shrill and shouty.

But overall I enjoyed the series.
It definitely got better as it went on.
I enjoyed Chris Harris & Rory Reid's reviews and Matt Le Blanc is has alway been a likeable screen presence.
Sabine Schmitz was under used and the less said about Eddie Jordan's contribution the better.

i'm not sure the ratings are really that relevant i think the BBC is more concerned with overseas sales than domestic views.
It is odd that they aired it during the European Championship Football tournament. Which is something old Top Gear would never do. They would never go head to head against sport. it almost as if they were looking for an excuse for the ratings ahead of time.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I think with Chris Harris , Rory Reid & Matt they may have found a team with real chemistry

The new 3 amigos ? who knows ??

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I think with Chris Harris , Rory Reid & Matt they may have found a team with real chemistry

The new 3 amigos ? who knows ??

The cast is almost there for me just drop Eddie Jordan and keep Sabine Schmitz.

I would like to see the celebrity interviews gone, I think Chris did a solid job interviewing them but they don't fit anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.