Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobbyDavis

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
oops, spoke too soon. To good to be true... :eek:

Just got a call from another Apple Genius that the "Quality Program" runs out after 3 years after date of purchase, which happens to be 19 Nov 2009. Go figure. They make the distinction between 'Apple care' and this 'Quality Program' - although the invoice clearly states I'm out of warranty anyhow, and the cost is listed as 0.

Made the promise to replace the screen gratis, now rescinds it.

However, since my LCD was replaced in 2011, I could technically claim it is still under 'Quality Program' is what I replied, since now it seems they replaced it with a faulty LCD.

Urgh.

Gave him an earful, some 'genius' manager will call me back.

Will keep you posted.

----

update: after a lot of back and forth, Apple has agreed to replace it for free. The manager also assured me the replacement screen would never have the same issue ever again, since apparently they are now replacing the LCD's with different ones. No idea how accurate that is however - I have serious doubts.

Glad things are going your way. Seems like it's more of case of finding the Apple person that knows that right answer! Just for the record, the Genius Bar guy I dealt with mentioned nothing of any expiration date.

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
thx for the videos etc. I have a late imac 27" with dust problems and I'm unsure how to prevent future dust problems. How and where do you seal the panel with aluminium tape after cleaning? Anything to be aware of?
Thanks Imatz for the video! At around 4:25 you work on loosening the frame with a screwdriver at the upper part of the panel (at the delicate connectors along the top at the display panel)..I'm a little scared to do that...I can't see exactly whats going on in the movie at that point, could you please point out how you loosen the frame with the screwdriver.
Thanks

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
thx for the videos etc. I have a late imac 27" with dust problems and I'm unsure how to prevent future dust problems. How and where do you seal the panel with aluminium tape after cleaning? Anything to be aware of?
Thanks Imatz for the video! At around 4:25 you work on loosening the frame with a screwdriver at the upper part of the panel (at the delicate connectors along the top at the display panel)..I'm a little scared to do that...I can't see exactly whats going on in the movie at that point, could you please point out how you loosen the frame with the screwdriver.
Thanks

hey
i think i have posted this in the past but here you go once again

many tahnks to all the people here especially my German friend Gebekophli and Oggy

Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P70WzU0ABBs

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Great video thanks, but I have a late 2009 27" imac where you need to remove the metal frame around the panel to get it open..
Can anyone confirm that the panel Oggy is working on in his excellent photo guide is a late 2009 27" imac panel?

Last edited:

Oggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Yes it is 2009. On the second page in the third picture you see a small cable that is the first one that you disconnect after you open the iMac. This kind was used in 2009 model.

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Thanks. Just a pity that I've just finished installing a SSD drive in the optical bay. After reassembling my imac the shadows turned up. I must have loosened up some dust during the installation.

Gebekophli

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Berlin-Germany
To GreenApple29: Thanks, You are welcome.

Once the 24" iMacs early 2009 Display housing I sealed with plastic (PVC?) tape especially the upper third over and around the cover tin of the video-control-
board.

First I made it with aluminum tape,

...but I was afraid, the tape could left its place in the course of time. So I covered it with plastic tape.

It's not beautiful, but it works until now under really hard and hot gaming conditions since more than one year without any new dust marks or clouds.

Best greetings to all and a Happy New Year!

lascott

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Baltimore
Took ours in about two weeks ago for this problem, and they originally had the part (new lcd and glass) but after trying it they found out that one was damaged.

Long story short they took and upgraded me the the new 2012 model which even has more ram than my old one. Didn't even have to fuss, guess they realized 2+ weeks is a long time to be without a computer. Makes me glad I purchased AppleCare :D

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Took ours in about two weeks ago for this problem, and they originally had the part (new lcd and glass) but after trying it they found out that one was damaged.

Long story short they took and upgraded me the the new 2012 model which even has more ram than my old one. Didn't even have to fuss, guess they realized 2+ weeks is a long time to be without a computer. Makes me glad I purchased AppleCare :D

Whoa...hold up...they replaced your iMac with the new model? What year was your old model though? It would be nice if they would just do this for all 2009-2012 iMac owners.

lascott

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Baltimore
Whoa...hold up...they replaced your iMac with the new model? What year was your old model though? It would be nice if they would just do this for all 2009-2012 iMac owners.

Pretty much :) I didn't even have to ask for it.

I had a 2011 27" iMac, the base 27" one that came with 4gig of ram and I believe the i5 processor.

They upgraded me to the new 2012 27" base model, even threw in a superdrive since the new ones don't come with a dvd writer. (I wasn't even too worried about this considering they basically swapped out my old one).

The good thing is, now I don't have to worry about any future smudging when it's out of warranty. I will be sure to purchase apple care for this new one as well, it was well worth the money.

This is my wifes computer for the most part, and this basically made her a apple fan for life (not that she wasn't already).

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

I had a 2011 27" iMac, the base 27" one that came with 4gig of ram and I believe the i5 processor.

They upgraded me to the new 2012 27" base model, even threw in a superdrive since the new ones don't come with a dvd writer. (I wasn't even too worried about this considering they basically swapped out my old one).

The good thing is, now I don't have to worry about any future smudging when it's out of warranty. I will be sure to purchase apple care for this new one as well, it was well worth the money.

This is my wifes computer for the most part, and this basically made her a apple fan for life (not that she wasn't already).

Despite all the nay sayers regarding Applecare (and some of those voices have legitimate points) it is the only extended warranty I take out on electrical goods and have always found that the service to be exemplary. However, your story goes beyond exemplary....I would be very very chuffed to get a result like that.:D:D:D

Luifigi

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Be careful when while opening the frame. Try not to turn the display around too much. Even better try to open the frame while it's in one vertical position. I had one accident with one iMac (dead pixels) - but they came back eventually.

Be carefull when you lift the LED.

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287667&d=1306956612

There'S the dust!

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287668&d=1306956612

Clean it very carefuly!

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287669&d=1306956612

And at the end put everything back. Be gentle! LED can easily breake!

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287670&d=1306956612

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287671&d=1306956612

Good luck!

Oggy

Hola. podría Ud. poner un video del procedimiento ? Gracias...!!!

feferon

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
clean imac but ....

Hi !

Thanks Oggy for the tutorial ... i did that succesfully, no dust. But ...
I have a straight line from left to right at the lower part of the screen. Not dead pixels cause if i move a window i can see this line changing so it looks to me that it reflects other pixels like this row is positioned in a wrong place ...

Is it caused by a damaged electronics of the display or just bad assemlby after cleaning it ? or maybe damaged LCD ... ?

Thanks for ideas ....

nicku

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Strange Problem fixed thanks.

I used this tutorial to fix a strange issue with my imac 27"..check out the photo..a piece of tape that is part of the screen assembly found its way onto the diffuser screen...strange..and annoying as you can see from the pic.

2lo0sh.jpg

Anyway following the guide i simply unstuck the tape (which was thin and grey..the tape runs around the edge of the screen.) and placed it back where it should be (it has a tacky back..no idea how it moved perhaps heat)..so its not just dust that can find its way onto a screen.

idds77.jpg

I've borrowed the pic earlier in this forum to highlight the taped area (mine was on the right hand side)

For me it was a anxious but pretty straight forward fix for what i see is a rare problem! Thanks to the tutorial here..so thanks.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
Just got mine replaced, just under the 3 year warranty. They said it was the worse they had seen:eek:
Without popping the screen off, are there simple ways to try and block/protect it perhaps?
I'm thinking some ugly tape on the outside of it to hep protect perhaps? Maybe run a small external fan on the desk behind or under it somehow to try and blow the dust or such away from where it is getting in?
Any tips would be appreciated, I'd hate to see this new screen start getting it.
Thanks

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
im currently having my 21.5' 2010 imac 3.06 i3 LCD replaced by apple. i went in with a i will not pay for anything mentality. i approached the geuis bar with an appointment and had a little talk with ol pizzaface dave there. he started to explain to me why it happens and how dirt gets in there and creates the appeareance of black smudge or smoke. im telling him some bs on how im a graphic and photo designer and i really need my screen to be clear. he shows some emotion on how how he feels very sorry but he see im out of warranty and that he cant do nothing about it. i tell him can i speak to someone else and he dissapears for about 5 minutes while i check out the iphone cases. he returns with a quotes of 440$. im verry annoyed now i say hell no im not going to pay that this is very unacceptable by apple since its a product defect. i tell em can i speak to your supervisor and now im crawling up the todem pole to the 2nd man in charge her name is melanie. i speak ter her my story and how its unacceptable yada yada yada bam ill give you a deal and do it for 200 im like wow i didnt know apple negotiates in my head and im like f dat im not paying she goes why do you have to use that language. i tell her its not acceptable for you guys to have this happen shes keeps telling me your not in warranty theres nothing i can do then i finally go let me speak to your manager they call over susan the manager she walks over in jiffy i shake her hand tell her whats going on and within 30 seconds of talking to her shes says this is what im gonna do for you im gonna get this all replaced for you for free and sorry for the inconvieance and thank you doing business with us. i say thank you very much and this is why apple is my favorite company ever!

TonyImac

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Rolled the dice, came up craps....

Any ideas on what happened? The 21.5 in is slightly different than the pics shown for the 27 in. While I was super careful about the connectors on the top of the display/backlight, I did not realize - apparently until it was too late - that there were thin, metallic connectors coming from the -left as you would be facing the computer - part of the display. They were tucked in between the metal frame and the plastic housing. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow damaged them as I was working away at prying loose the metal frame.

The irony is that the heavy smudges on the upper left-hand corner of the screen are gone for almost two months now. The bad news is self evident....

This particularly frustrates me in that I am fairly handy - or so I thought - with stuff like this and have replaced harddrives in desktops and laptops, motherboards, and even tore down my droid to replace a cracked display. This is the first time I %$&#@d something up....

Attachments

• Mac.jpg
    Mac.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 461

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Any ideas on what happened? The 21.5 in is slightly different than the pics shown for the 27 in. While I was super careful about the connectors on the top of the display/backlight, I did not realize - apparently until it was too late - that there were thin, metallic connectors coming from the -left as you would be facing the computer - part of the display. They were tucked in between the metal frame and the plastic housing. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow damaged them as I was working away at prying loose the metal frame.

The irony is that the heavy smudges on the upper left-hand corner of the screen are gone for almost two months now. The bad news is self evident....

This particularly frustrates me in that I am fairly handy - or so I thought - with stuff like this and have replaced harddrives in desktops and laptops, motherboards, and even tore down my droid to replace a cracked display. This is the first time I %$&#@d something up....

Arghhh... Not good. After installing a SSD some dust got into my 27" panel. I've decided to live with it, at least until someone makes a 100% foolproof take apart DIY guide fo the late 2009 27" iMac. Be carefull with those panel connectors, when you remove the metal frame!

blackfalcon921

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
HOUSTON TEXAS

Lascott,

I just had the same thing happen to me. I had a 2011 imac that I purchased for $1,100 off of craigslist. After I got it home i noticed it had some burn in spots on the screen and decided to take it in to the apple store, since the nice gentleman that owned it before me purchased apple care. I took it in and was told I would have it back in a few days that they were going to replace the screen. I call a week later and am told that they are giving me a brand new 2012 27 imac because of faulty hardware. I go into the apple store and they give me a brand new one as well as a free optical drive. I then get informed that since the apple care is still in effect i will get a refund if I call the apple hotline number. Sure enough the tech was right I got a refund of $141.11, a new 27 IMAC and a external super drive. Has to be my best purchase ever!

Just brought that up so can look into getting the balance of your apple care back. Well worth the 10 min call I made.

lascott

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Baltimore
Nice, they hadn't mentioned the applecare refund to me. I'm guessing since there is only a few months left on my old plan it wouldn't help me much to get a refund :D

I will be definitely be buying applecare for my new 2012 imac.

mpta

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2013
Hello Guys,
I just bought few days ago an Apple Cinema Display 24 and there is something wierd. It might look as dead pixels but I am not sure about this. It's changing the colors depending on viewing angle.. like a really small crack, or maybe there is something inside :/ I am not brave enought yet to open LCD panel (there is everything fine under first glass)

acd24.jpg

The screen is little bit warmer (yellow) on the bottom and left part - do u think that cleaning the lcd could help?

Pls forgive me my english :)
thanks!

slybas

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
Thanks Oggy for pioneering this way of d.i.y. cleaning your defective iMac screen . I was having this smudge problem since I bought the 27" iMac secondhand and was dreading executing this kind of risky cleaning myself. Yesterday I finally had the courage and after 1 and a half hours sweating/cursing I am now posting this from an all clear like new iMac.

Thank you guys.:D

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
So, I did this. Almost all the spots are gone. So it's all clear now.

However, when reassembling, I found the frame (with the magnets) to be slighty bend making it hard to get the screen in. Now all is good but slighty forced.

I did however got a sudden kernel panic at first boot up (2 minutes in or so). I think it has something to do with one of the LCD cables not properly plugged in..? because the screen went black then came on and then the panic came.

But I rebooted and it's running stable for 10 minutes. I'll wait and see..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.