Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
His original post didn't really stir any reactions from users. At least not me. It was the continual ranting about Apple's cloud service and how Googles is better. That and refusing to accept other forum users advice on alternate solutions.

It gets to the point where his ranting is just annoying, and whether or not he is trolling doesn't matter. If you have to constantly say something sucks, you should just shut up, get over it, and move on. It's sort of like those people who come to the same restaurant over and over again and say "every time I come to this restaurant there is an issue with my food". The issue isn't the food, it's the customer.

TL;DR
People hate complainers.

----------

I doubt it. I can't see Apple themselves creating such a service due to the lack in demand, and Apple's strict app policies probably won't change anytime soon.

If you noticed people's "suggestions for alternative solutions" were pretty poor. Just because someone suggests it doesn't mean it is a viable alternative. Not one suggestion in this thread is something that I would consider doing if I were in the OP's shoes. Most of the suggestions require two phone numbers and call forwarding and apps for phone calls. Not one person in this thread has suggested anything that is the same as what the OP suggested, so I don't blame him for not accepting those suggestions as there were all quite lacking. As for saying he's complaining, I'd say the OP has every right to feel the way he feels, and if you don't want to read it, then why are you in the thread? OP spent money on a device only to later find out it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'd be upset if I were him too (fortunately for me I don't use an iphone as my daily driver so I don't have to experience this). The OP named some things he noticed after using the phone over time and his complaints are legitimate.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
If you noticed people's "suggestions for alternative solutions" were pretty poor. Just because someone suggests it doesn't mean it is a viable alternative. Not one suggestion in this thread is something that I would consider doing if I were in the OP's shoes. Most of the suggestions require two phone numbers and call forwarding and apps for phone calls. Not one person in this thread has suggested anything that is the same as what the OP suggested, so I don't blame him for not accepting those suggestions as there were all quite lacking. As for saying he's complaining, I'd say the OP has every right to feel the way he feels, and if you don't want to read it, then why are you in the thread? OP spent money on a device only to later find out it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'd be upset if I were him too (fortunately for me I don't use an iphone as my daily driver so I don't have to experience this). The OP named some things he noticed after using the phone over time and his complaints are legitimate.

Legitimate or not, complaining doesn't solve anything. And I agree, most of the alternatives weren't great. What he is asking for simply doesn't exist in iOS. If he can't accept an alternative, then the only viable solution is to change phones.

I don't understand why people put themselves through hell. The OP has more bad things to say about iOS than I've seen any one person say, and he's an iPhone user. To me that is just sad. Hence why my suggestion in my original reply was change phones.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Legitimate or not, complaining doesn't solve anything. And I agree, most of the alternatives weren't great. What he is asking for simply doesn't exist in iOS. If he can't accept an alternative, then the only viable solution is to change phones.

I don't understand why people put themselves through hell. The OP has more bad things to say about iOS than I've seen any one person say, and he's an iPhone user. To me that is just sad. Hence why my suggestion in my original reply was change phones.

I get you, but by the same token, not complaining never solves anything. Being vocal is the best way to effect change. This goes back to what I stated earlier in the thread about the biggest difference I see on a site like this and a site like xda. On a site like xda, a thread like this will be met with people trying to figure out ways to obtain the functionality that is desired. Whereas, on this site a thread like this is met with bad attitudes, people challenging the reasons for wanting that functionality, and just overall closed mindedness. Responses like that do very little to foster any sort of innovation. Forums make great sounding boards for conveying ideas to devs, but it seems around here that sort of thing cannot happen.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
His original post didn't really stir any reactions from users. At least not me. It was the continual ranting about Apple's cloud service and how Android is better. That and refusing to accept other forum users advice on alternate solutions.

It gets to the point where his ranting is just annoying, and whether or not he is trolling doesn't matter. If you have to constantly say something sucks, you should just shut up, get over it, and move on. It's sort of like those people who come to the same restaurant over and over again and say "every time I come to this restaurant there is an issue with my food". The issue isn't the food, it's the customer.

TL;DR
People hate complainers.

----------

I doubt it. I can't see Apple themselves creating such a service due to the lack in demand, and Apple's strict app policies probably won't change anytime soon. iMessage is as good as it's going to get.

I agree. :)

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
As for saying he's complaining, I'd say the OP has every right to feel the way he feels, and if you don't want to read it, then why are you in the thread? OP spent money on a device only to later find out it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'd be upset if I were him too (fortunately for me I don't use an iphone as my daily driver so I don't have to experience this). The OP named some things he noticed after using the phone over time and his complaints are legitimate.

The OP apparently learned that he cannot live without this function (from a friends Android application ) only a few days ago. Android's vision for Cloud computing and Apple's are different. He had plenty of time to read Apple's printed material on what their iCloud can do or not do yet. If this feature is sooo important to him, then he should have investigated this before buying the iPhone.

Apple clearly states what the iCloud functions are, at this point in time...it is not for the OP to complain that his vision of cloud computing is the way it should be. Apple made a decision on what it what it to be...

It is not the lack of this feature or wishing that some functionality be added to Apple's phone/iCloud that is annoying to read from the OP...it is the severe ranting about it...when he should have figured this out before buying.

Regarding the mysms iPhone application...it doesn't exist in the USA iTunes store; it IS in the European iTunes store, albeit with the limited functionality as noted. Interesting as to why it is not. If indeed this app has been around since 2010, then the fact that it does not exist was well known.

I agree, that even having BlueTooth access to SMS, like my old Nokia's had would be useful. However, that was flaky too, in the synching part. I hope that at least apple makes that available someday. But we have been waiting for 3 years.

Since the OP is okay with being tethered to his phone via BT for voice...which is only 30 feet (at the very best), that is only about the size of a large family room in an american home...it is pretty hard to imagine he cannot get up to do some texting.

But, I realize that it is of great value to be able to have the phone even right next to your laptop for BT or Cloud texting/ sending and receiving, on your phone number. Right now I only see sending solutions, and once initiated can be returned back to a number/email. iPad is a solution via iMessage...maybe iMessage on the Mac would be available some day.

So give it time, and if you cannot live without it...change something up. But the silly ranting is annoying...as someone else said...it is a missing feature...there are lots of missing features on other platforms that are more important to many of us...and that keeps us were we are, using the iPhone.

It is up to the OP to decide. His original point was made pages ago.

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK

Well said. I can never understand why people come into these threads and bash people for asking a perfectly legitimate question. The reason this thread has turned into an iOS/Android debate (again) is more to do with those people coming in here and bashing the OP rather than any attitude the OP has displayed. I'd suggest the solution to this is not for the OP to go and get an Android, but rather for some posters not to come into this thread at all.

For me, I've been using cloud texting for a while and find it very useful. On some of my client sites I can't use my mobile so can be out of contact for 6-8 hours at a time so having access to SMS via a PC is a godsend. That's not a criticism of iOS, its an observation on my usage.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If you noticed people's "suggestions for alternative solutions" were pretty poor.
Subjective. Plenty of people use the solutions suggested regardless of your particular opinion on any of them.

As for saying he's complaining, I'd say the OP has every right to feel the way he feels, and if you don't want to read it, then why are you in the thread? OP spent money on a device only to later find out it isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Then the OP didn't perform proper due diligence. The OP only has himself to blame. Buying any device (IOS, Android, whatever) without research and because "it's supposed to be the best" is FAIL. Best is always highly subjective and it's up to each individual to determine which solutions are best suited to the individual.

I get you, but by the same token, not complaining never solves anything. Being vocal is the best way to effect change.
It does through the proper channels. Ranting here and ignorantly stating that the iPhone "should" be able to do something with no clear understanding of how things work accomplishes nothing. Every person has some feature that he/she thinks "should" be something that every device out there can do. Not all can. If an option meets your specific needs then use it.

This goes back to what I stated earlier in the thread about the biggest difference I see on a site like this and a site like xda. On a site like xda, a thread like this will be met with people trying to figure out ways to obtain the functionality that is desired.
Of course, XDA is a dev forum. Apples and oranges. Back to the whole proper channels thing. Use the right tool for the right job which the OP doesn't seem to grasp (in any sense).

I'd suggest the solution to this is not for the OP to go and get an Android, but rather for some posters not to come into this thread at all.
How, exactly does the latter solve the OP's problem? His entitled attitude is precisely my problem with him. I don't care which platform any particular person uses but if Android has something that the OP absolutely must have then he should use Android instead of irrationally sticking with the iPhone, ranting about something that doesn't exist, griping about how the alternatives don't fit his specific needs/wants and then claiming that the iPhone is a terrible device because he didn't do his research. Even if a dev was inspired and spurred on to create a solution the OP wouldn't have anything to work with for quite some time.

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Okay so a friend of mine showed me an app on his android phone called mysms that does cloud text messaging. It was pretty cool. It allowed him to be able to read, reply, delete, and compose text messages all from the computer. The whole time whether he did it on his computer or his phone the text messages stayed in sync. Since I use my computer a lot this would be pretty convenient to not have to go get my phone every time I receive a text message. I look on the mysms site and they state that the iphone app can't do cloud texting or sync any of that because Apple doesn't allow it! Then I look in the app store for other solutions and I literally could not find one single cloud texting solution. Hell the mangy old sidekick 4g comes with cloud texting stock! If a crappy phone like the sidekick 4g is capable why can't my iphone?! This is a feature that I would find very useful and see no reason why my iphone isn't capable of doing this.
*rant off*

Here is your solution. Get yourself an Apple TV($99). Mirror your iPhone to the TV. You got your iMessage now on your 60" LCD TV; you can see if from across the room.

Get yourself the Apple BlueTooth Keyboard ($69). BT to your iPhone. You can type on the BT keyboard and see it on the TV (which shows your SMS message window). MMS and even email.

Now you are done. You can receive and send SMS or iMessage from your iPhone, displayed in 60" on your HDMI TV. And all with your iPhone phone number.

Perfect! An All Apple Solution ;) No synching worries...it all goes through your iPhone.

Just tried myself. Works great. Plus you get the bonus of Apple TV...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Here is your solution. Get yourself an Apple TV($99). Mirror your iPhone to the TV. You got your iMessage now on your 60" LCD TV; you can see if from across the room.

Get yourself the Apple BlueTooth Keyboard ($69). BT to your iPhone. You can type on the BT keyboard and see it on the TV (which shows your SMS message window). MMS and even email.

Now you are done. You can receive and send SMS or iMessage from your iPhone, displayed in 60" on your HDMI TV. And all with your iPhone phone number.

Perfect! An All Apple Solution ;) No synching worries...it all goes through your iPhone.

Just tried myself. Works great. Plus you get the bonus of Apple TV...

Enjoy!
So your solution is for him to spend $170 to be able to use his television to be able to text....which will only work in that one room.. Doesn't seem like a very feasible solution IMO, especially for what's involved in doing it. That still doesn't give any type of solution if he isn't in that same room.

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
So your solution is for him to spend $170 to be able to use his television to be able to text....which will only work in that one room.. Doesn't seem like a very feasible solution IMO, especially for what's involved in doing it. That still doesn't give any type of solution if he isn't in that same room.

He already knows his solution cant be found currently in IOS. He has stated he has a PC in every room and cant be bothered to carry his phone everywhere in his house when an oh so important text come thru that he has to answer. Beating this dead horse wont bring it back to life, he knows what he wants its up to him to get on Android.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Here is the new Apple solution to the OP's question. Albeit, it works only with Mac OS (macbook, air, iMac) and, of course, iPads and iPhones. Just came out.

I downloaded the Beta , and indeed it works very well. Keeps history of my conversations on my phone to my laptop, a MacBook Pro and synchs. Beta now, and becoming part of the new Mountain Lion upgrade. No PC support at this time.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/messages-beta/

Download Messages Beta and get a taste of what’s coming in OS X Mountain Lion. When you install Messages, it replaces iChat. But iChat services will continue to work. And Messages brings iMessage to the Mac — just like on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch running iOS 5. Here are the features you can expect with Messages:

Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.*

Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.

Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.

Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accoun
ts.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Here is the new Apple solution to the OP's question. Albeit, it works only with Mac OS (macbook, air, iMac) and, of course, iPads and iPhones. Just came out.

I downloaded the Beta , and indeed it works very well. Keeps history of my conversations on my phone to my laptop, a MacBook Pro and synchs. Beta now, and becoming part of the new Mountain Lion upgrade. No PC support at this time.

The highlighted portion is actually what makes this not a solution at all, IMO. I certainly know more people without iPhones than those with. In fact, I regularly texts about a dozen people, only two of which have iPhones. Now, if Apple could incorporate something like what Google voice does in sending texts, I think we would have something. I would even consider paying a couple bucks a month for the service and I am sure others would too. On my end, I use data to send the text. Apple essentially proxys the message, turns it into an SMS, and sends it out. Google already does this for free. I suspect Apple could too, and have everything all the more streamlined.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Just installed iMessage and so far so good. However, the %£%$^&%$ problems with multiple iTunes/MobileMe/iCloud accounts has raised its ugly head. To be specific: I opened an iTunes account prior to opening a MobileMe account. The MobileMe account is now my official Apple ID account for iCloud etc. However, the e-mail address I use for my iTunes account, which is the main address I have for personal use, cannot be used as an alternative address for iMessage becuase it appears to be counted as a seperate Apple ID. This is exquisitely annoying, so I do wish Apple would create a utility that would allow me to consolidate my Apple information (iCloud, Apple ID, iTunes, Apple Support etc.) under just one user name. In my case this would simply be a matter of allowing me to convert my iTunes account to my main Apple ID.

After all this time after the release of iCloud, I am still not sure why Apple haven't pulled their finger out to do this.

:mad:@:apple:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Just installed iMessage and so far so good. However, the %£%$^&%$ problems with multiple iTunes/MobileMe/iCloud accounts has raised its ugly head. To be specific: I opened an iTunes account prior to opening a MobileMe account. The MobileMe account is now my official Apple ID account for iCloud etc. However, the e-mail address I use for my iTunes account, which is the main address I have for personal use, cannot be used as an alternative address for iMessage becuase it appears to be counted as a seperate Apple ID. This is exquisitely annoying, so I do wish Apple would create a utility that would allow me to consolidate my Apple information (iCloud, Apple ID, iTunes, Apple Support etc.) under just one user name. In my case this would simply be a matter of allowing me to convert my iTunes account to my main Apple ID.

After all this time after the release of iCloud, I am still not sure why Apple haven't pulled their finger out to do this.

:mad:@:apple:

I have the same username/email address for all of my Apple accounts. That is the way you would want it. Why can't you change them to be so?

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011

Download Messages Beta and get a taste of what’s coming in OS X Mountain Lion. When you install Messages, it replaces iChat. But iChat services will continue to work. And Messages brings iMessage to the Mac — just like on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch running iOS 5. Here are the features you can expect with Messages:

Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.*

Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.

Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.

Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accoun
ts.
No offense but if I wanted to download an instant messenger, I would have already downloaded an instant messenger. This is not the same thing as cloud texting. This is just instant messaging.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
No offense but if I wanted to download an instant messenger, I would have already downloaded an instant messenger. This is not the same thing as cloud texting. This is just instant messaging.

No offense taken. However within the apple system, this does everything you require. Send a text message from your Mac ( send to a phone number) using iMessage. Your copy also also appears on your phone. Receive a message the same way. appears on all devices.

For me, my most important friends have phone numbers associated with iphones. So it does what was requested. I don't need to know their apple ID. All is synced.

I posted it as a start in the right direction. Not a total solution for you however.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I have the same username/email address for all of my Apple accounts. That is the way you would want it. Why can't you change them to be so?

Because one cannot change the e-mail address on an iTunes account to that of an existing Apple ID, and that is the issue. I got my personal BT account many years back and then set up iTunes with that e-mail address. My apple ID was set up later through MobileMe (now the same account name is used for iCloud). The iTunes account is treated by iMessage as a separate Apple ID, and since only one Apple ID can be used for iMessage, I cannot use my personal BT e-mail as an additional e-mail for iMessages. Of course, if somebody uses my mobile phone number, my me.com address or my work address the message will get to me. However, if they use my BT e-mail address it won't. Frustrating to say the least. :mad:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
These solutions are incredible.

Its really amazing at how good Apple is at pulling you into their eco system! Once you have an i device you'll either need to get a bunch of other i devices for more functionality or get rid of it lol.

I have a friend who is hardcore into Apple products and he was showing off his Apple TV with AirPlay and his ipad. I acted impressed because he was so proud of all this. But its something you can do with a normal tablet and a 2 dollar app (twonky), all you need is a media server or Xbox or ps3 or wifi tv or wifi bluray player and wifi. And it requires no set up on the receiver end so you can take any place that has wifi + game console or wifi TV or wifi bluray player and stream music, videos and pictures from your phone or tablet.

If nothing else Apple is a master of business.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.