Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ames

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
I just can't see it on mine. I ran those test patterns and really am looking for something, but it looks fine.

iomatic

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2004
Wow, that PowerBook issue really sucked. Took Apple MONTHS to get the issue resolved, and the fix was to ship your PB in for a whole new screen.

I'd guess that if the Air's problem was the same as the hi-rez PB's (horizontal banding), then viewing these two attachments full-screen would make the point clear. They're from the thread you linked to, so all credit goes to the folks who posted them there.

In the pass/fail one, if the FAIL is clear to read, then it's probably the same issue. On the desktopsplitologinscreen one, if it appears that the left side of the screen has a pattern noticeably different from the right, then it's probably the same issue.

Remember that if you click on the attachment in Firefox, it'll open in a new window at a reduced-size. Click on the graphic again to view it at 100%.

mine passes. week 44?

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Since you want an "Honest" opinion, I say stop reading forums and you may actually purchase a computer and enjoy using it. MR forums can be useful, AT TIMES, however if you need MR to help you point out flaws then there are really no flaws if you need a forum to point them out.
You will never buy an Apple computer if you hang out here too long.

Example, the allegedly MBA horizontal line issue was brought up by ONE person on the forum and then extended to several due to the snowball effect. Until yesterday it seemed that it was dedicated to the MBA. Now that one forum member has shown us that it also extends to the MBP then we know it's not dedicated to the MBA.

Yes, there are faint horizontal lines, so what? Is it damaging the screen to a point where it's not useable? NO. Is it so noticeable that it detracts focus away from what you are doing on the computer? NO. Have many people actually noticed it so much that it bothers them? YES. Why? Because they came here to MR and allowed them to make a mountain out of a molehill.

And before you tell me that I am wrong, I have the new MBA Rev B so I speak from experience. I am enjoying my computer ever since I got it 4 days ago and maybe you will too if you just buy it and USE it instead of letting MR downgrade your enjoyable experience.

Thank you for your honest opinion, I really appreciate it. :) That's why I like coming on macrumors because I can get honest advice from people who have no reason to lie.

So anyways, I went ahead and picked up a 1.86GHz macbook air this afternoon.

It has the 4 finger swipe. The screen Manufacturer is 00000610, Model 00009C9A, Serial Number 00000000, and Manufacturer Date C2486D00

It is a week 43 model. I have tried to find problems with the screen but I can't. Only minor issue is the port door isn't straight but it's not a deal breaker for me.

It doesn't have the horizontal lines as some of the pictures have shown, but when I inspect the screen up close I see tiny squares instead like a grid. Not sure if that's the problem people are having or if an LCD is supposed to look like that. I never noticed this on my previous MBP.

But that's only when i go up close. In regular use, I don't notice anything bad.

I agree that it's the people with problems that usually come on to the forums. Well, I'm going to do the opposite. No problems, and loving it in my first 45 minutes of use. :)

edit: @HLdan: I also wanted to add that when people talk about a problem, even if your computer doesn't have the problem, you start to think you have the problem too.

StefanR.

Nov 8, 2008
Yes, there are faint horizontal lines, so what? Is it damaging the screen to a point where it's not useable? NO. Is it so noticeable that it detracts focus away from what you are doing on the computer? NO. Have many people actually noticed it so much that it bothers them? YES. Why? Because they came here to MR and allowed them to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I dont need a forum to see "faint horizontal lines". In my office we work with several mac´s, none has strange lines. but one thing is for sure, if we get a machine what costs 2500, with faint lines, it will go back from where it came from.

... so what?

kanpachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Since you want an "Honest" opinion, I say stop reading forums and you may actually purchase a computer and enjoy using it. MR forums can be useful, AT TIMES, however if you need MR to help you point out flaws then there are really no flaws if you need a forum to point them out.
You will never buy an Apple computer if you hang out here too long.

Example, the allegedly MBA horizontal line issue was brought up by ONE person on the forum and then extended to several due to the snowball effect. Until yesterday it seemed that it was dedicated to the MBA. Now that one forum member has shown us that it also extends to the MBP then we know it's not dedicated to the MBA.

And before you tell me that I am wrong, I have the new MBA Rev B so I speak from experience. I am enjoying my computer ever since I got it 4 days ago and maybe you will too if you just buy it and USE it instead of letting MR downgrade your enjoyable experience.

Well, different people have different tolerances to problems. Apparently you fall within the complacent crowd so all the more power to you, but to pay $2500+ for a laptop that has a defective screen is simply unacceptable to many. We pay the high price premiums and expect a commensurate level of quality in return. Also, just the fact that Apple Execution Relations and Engineering are taking this issue in the serious manner they are should be indicative of its severity.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Well, different people have different tolerances to problems. Apparently you fall within the complacent crowd so all the more power to you, but to pay $2500+ for a laptop that has a defective screen is simply unacceptable to many. We pay the high price premiums and expect a commensurate level of quality in return. Also, just the fact that Apple Execution Relations and Engineering are taking this issue in the serious manner they are should be indicative of its severity.

Just a second, there has been nothing to confirm that the screen is actually "defective", those are your words. Those very faint horizontal lines could be from out of spec drivers from the Nvidia card and if that's the case then a software update will fix this. If you haven't noticed, this alleged issue affects both the Macbook Air and the Pro, not certain about the Macbook

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Thank you for your honest opinion, I really appreciate it. :) That's why I like coming on macrumors because I can get honest advice from people who have no reason to lie.

So anyways, I went ahead and picked up a 1.86GHz macbook air this afternoon.

It has the 4 finger swipe. The screen Manufacturer is 00000610, Model 00009C9A, Serial Number 00000000, and Manufacturer Date C2486D00

It is a week 43 model. I have tried to find problems with the screen but I can't. Only minor issue is the port door isn't straight but it's not a deal breaker for me.

It doesn't have the horizontal lines as some of the pictures have shown, but when I inspect the screen up close I see tiny squares instead like a grid. Not sure if that's the problem people are having or if an LCD is supposed to look like that. I never noticed this on my previous MBP.

But that's only when i go up close. In regular use, I don't notice anything bad.

I agree that it's the people with problems that usually come on to the forums. Well, I'm going to do the opposite. No problems, and loving it in my first 45 minutes of use. :)

edit: @HLdan: I also wanted to add that when people talk about a problem, even if your computer doesn't have the problem, you start to think you have the problem too.

Good for you!!!! See, you didn't allow this forum to scare you from making a good purchase and you are a satisfied customer. :)

dogg

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland
I received my replacement less than 24 hours after being contacted by Apple Executive Relations...

It has the same problems. I have emailed them with my concerns but this now being the weekend it is doubtful i will receive a reply till maybe Tuesday.

There are a few posters that don't agree with these issues and say MBA owners should just deal with it and stop moaning. From a personal point of view i do have high standards... But these standards were set originally by Apples previously flawless products and exceptionally high quality control track record.

In the past there products have been second to none, so when you purchase any Apple component and its not the usually high standard you have come to expect, you feel exceptionally let down.

I will keep everyone updated.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I agree that if it's a $2500 computer you should be thoroughly satisfied. So you have every right to bring this to Apple's attention until you are happy with your purchase. Go for it guys I support you.

I do have a question though, for those who say they have the lines, is it obviously visible during normal use or do you have to look closely at the screen to see it?

i tried looking closely and on a different variety of colored backgrounds but all I see are tiny squares in a grid on the whole screen.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
In the past there products have been second to none, so when you purchase any Apple component and its not the usually high standard you have come to expect, you feel exceptionally let down.

I will keep everyone updated.

You are obviously unaware of the Powerbooks in the past. The Titanium Powerbook suffered from the paint chipping and Apple did nothing about it except introduce the new Aluminum Powerbooks in 2003. The Aluminum Powerbooks suffered from the lid not sitting even when closed. The gap separating the lid from the palm rest is uneven and gives the impression that the lid is warped. Apple did nothing about this and kept the uneven gapped lid throughout the Macbook Pro line. Rather than fixing the issue Apple intro'd the new unibody enclosure.

Oh yeah, you may have not known about the G4 Cube in year 2000 that exhibited cracks around the casing after owning it for a month or so.

Maybe you are unaware of the sunflower iMac in year 2002 that had a wobbly screen and tilted to the side, as usual Apple did nothing about it except intro the new iMac G5.

Also the Powerbook 5300 intro'd in 1995, it caught fire to nearly every customer who bought one, it made television news.

Lastly the PowerMac MDD intro'd in 2002 which had the outrageously loud fans that sounded like a jet engine no matter how low the fans spun. You could hear it easily in the Apple stores. Apple discontinued it after one year.

Don't make Apple's current lack in quality control something new, you are sadly wrong if you think it was all better in the past.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Also, just the fact that Apple Execution Relations and Engineering are taking this issue in the serious manner they are should be indicative of its severity.
I think that they're being responsible by investigating an issue on their second-most expensive notebook, but until we see how they handle the issue now that they've captured your machine, it's probably a little early to be saying that they're taking the screen issue seriously.

wheelerw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Just a second, there has been nothing to confirm that the screen is actually "defective", those are your words. Those very faint horizontal lines could be from out of spec drivers from the Nvidia card and if that's the case then a software update will fix this. If you haven't noticed, this alleged issue affects both the Macbook Air and the Pro, not certain about the Macbook

Not to burst your bubble, but it is a defect. Apple agreed. I just got off the phone with applecare and they wanted me to send in the computer to their "research department" or something like that. The guy said that there have been a few computers returned due to "unsatisfactory screen quality", and apple is working on a fix. He did say that the problem does not affect all the new MBA's, and some seem to be worse than others. And a software update will NOT fix this.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Not to burst your bubble, but it is a defect. Apple agreed. I just got off the phone with applecare and they wanted me to send in the computer to their "research department" or something like that. The guy said that there have been a few computers returned due to "unsatisfactory screen quality", and apple is working on a fix. He did say that the problem does not affect all the new MBA's, and some seem to be worse than others. And a software update will NOT fix this.

thanks! sounds like future units will not have this problem!!!
I don't know why people have to bash those of us who have the issue and discuss it on these boards? personally I only read the posts on these boards
when I have an issue. I always thought that was the purpose of these boards:
for the mac community to come together and discuss problems and solutions as well as educate each other. Not to critique each other?
And for those who are here to defend apple as the perfect company or to suggest those who have raised the possibility of a flaw in the computer to be flawed themselves why waist your time reading these forums? I personally would rather be using my flawless computer for more productive things!

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca

Do you honestly believe Applecare has a clue what they're talking about?

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Is there a simple test to see if a MBA has the LCD issue?

When I go to the crowded Apple store around the corner I usually don't have the peace to check out products in detail and may miss the screen issue described here. So I'm wondering if there exists an easy test to determine whether a given MBA has the LCD issue or not, such as a background image that makes the horizontal lines particularly apparent?

kanpachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
When I go to the crowded Apple store around the corner I usually don't have the peace to check out products in detail and may miss the screen issue described here. So I'm wondering if there exists an easy test to determine whether a given MBA has the LCD issue or not, such as a background image that makes the horizontal lines particularly apparent?

It's pretty easy to notice if you go to a page like Google.com that's mostly white with a bit of color on it to help emphasize the lines.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
It's pretty easy to notice if you go to a page like Google.com that's mostly white with a bit of color on it to help emphasize the lines.

OK, thanks. I hope that in the course of this thread a trend will emerge indicating which MBA's are affected, i.e. which screen production numbers or weeks are the faulty ones. Maybe it would be good to have a systematic poll for this?

wheelerw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Do you honestly believe Applecare has a clue what they're talking about?
Uhm, yes? At least I would hope so. Its what they are paid to do. If its any help, applecare transfered me to someone from "executive product team" or something official sounding. They are the ones who wanted me to send it back and told me it is a known problem.

Herofan

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
My new swedish edition of the macbook air with serial W8845 does not have the 4 finger thing either, but one more thing......... my screen is phenomenal :) No grey lines at all. When I watch the pic attached earlier in this thread with the FAIL and PASS text on it everything is in order. But when I watch it with my old Powerbook G4 it not.

Anyway Im realy satisfied with the Air and I want change it just because the four finger gesture is missing.

wheelerw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
My new swedish edition of the macbook air with serial W8845 does not have the 4 finger thing either, but one more thing......... my screen is phenomenal :) No grey lines at all. When I watch the pic attached earlier in this thread with the FAIL and PASS text on it everything is in order. But when I watch it with my old Powerbook G4 it not.

Anyway Im realy satisfied with the Air and I want change it just because the four finger gesture is missing.
Thats great news about the perfect screen! About the lack of 4 finger swipe. Did you try the hack that is on the front page of macrumors? It looks like there is a way to enable 4 finger swipe.

lincolnchee

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Singapore
I am getting a Macbook Air on this Friday. Looks like I have better check for both the 4 fingers swipe and the annoying gray lines. The yellow-tint issues on the iPhone 3G's screen has since affected my confidence and I will always perform a thorough check before making payment.

bened

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Tokyo
Got an MBA rev B, production week 45, yesterday in Tokyo. No four finger swipe, small horizontal lines all over the screen. Even if you had to look close to recognize them they gave a muddy and not uniform appearance. It looked like as if you were looking through some grease. The lightning of the display was very uneven compared to an old MBP. I compared the new MBA with screens of old MBA on display and their screens were flawless. Swapped today for a another new MBA that showed the same lines (production week 46). I cancelled the contract. I might try again in some weeks when the issues are solved.

Genius thought that the lines were normal and claimed he could see them as well on the old MBA (but there were none). He was quite astonished about the missing four finger action and proposed that it would be solved through a software update.

Regards
B

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I saw several MBAs at my local store and they all had the lines and it is quite annoying because its in your face. Also no four finger swipe.

foodcoma

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
In Singapore for business and just bought a week 43 MBA rev B today (1.86Ghz, 128GB SSD). No horizontal lines and four finger swipe worked.

Haven't had time to play with it as it's currently updating office and OSX. Fan is on during updating but it's otherwise off (so far)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.