Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I think we can count week 43 as safe. Mine has the 4 finger scroll and no lines, and it's a week 43.:)

Reminds me of GM when they discovered cars built on Monday and Friday were more defective due to worker attitude. When is a good day in China?

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Reminds me of GM when they discovered cars built on Monday and Friday were more defective due to worker attitude. When is a good day in China?

I just don't think that looking at the week the computer was assembled is valid - I think it is more a matter of when the LED screen was created. Obviously - if it was created during the Summer Olympics in China - then your screen is screwed cuz all the workers heads were turned watching the tv - so no quality control to pull the bad ones out of the line - they let it all through....

;)

maybe...

BTW my MBA is week 43 and is perfect.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
LOL so yes McGilli is right. From what the others have posted, the week in which it was manufactured isn't a factor.

My screen is a 9C9A if that helps, though I believe a lot of us have that model.

bigrasmusdk

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
I just got my replacement from Apple Online Store.... It has the SAME ERORRS!

STILL NO FOUR FINGER SWIPE
STILL HORIZONTAL LINES

I am NOT happy.... Apple will replace it AGAIN.... 3 TIME

Serial no on 1st: 8845
Serial no on 2nd: 8846

Both with the same error

al3ph

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
That`s pretty lame, I`m getting mine swapped this week (I hope), though I suspect it`ll have the same issues, can`t believe they messed up the four finger swipe, has anyone got a V2 air with working swipe (excluding US)?

I just got my replacement from Apple Online Store.... It has the SAME ERORRS!

STILL NO FOUR FINGER SWIPE
STILL HORIZONTAL LINES

I am NOT happy.... Apple will replace it AGAIN.... 3 TIME

Serial no on 1st: 8845
Serial no on 2nd: 8846

Both with the same error

drevil

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
I'll put in my 2cc's worth, W8845****** no lines,beautiful screen.All gestures work also.

tommyv

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
Has anyone outside of the US received one where the 4-finger swipe worked? :confused:

I received 1.86 SSD last week in Switzerland (from Swiss Apple Store, US keyboard, English OS), 4 finger swipe works, but faint lines present, made in week 45, OS X Build 9F2523. I checked the localized models at local Apple dealers, none of them had 4-finger swipe working and the OS X build was 9F33.

bigrasmusdk

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
yeah the rythm is not that it is from the US...but it has a US keyboard...NON-Localized.

I dont know how many times I told Apple Care that the problem might be a little bigger than they though, but apparently they want to swap indefinitely... Anyone received to useful feedback from a executive department ?

immaculate

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Switzerland
Swiss MBA

I received 1.86 SSD last week in Switzerland (from Swiss Apple Store, US keyboard, English OS), 4 finger swipe works, but faint lines present, made in week 45, OS X Build 9F2523. I checked the localized models at local Apple dealers, none of them had 4-finger swipe working and the OS X build was 9F33.

tommyv: have you returned your MBA owing to the lines? I also live in Switzerland and was about to order a US keyboard 1.86 SDD from the Swiss Apple Store - then I learnt about this display problem and have put the order on hold.

immaculate

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Switzerland
Swiss Apple Store MBA

tommyv: have you returned your MBA owing to the lines? I also live in Switzerland and was about to order a US keyboard 1.86 SDD from the Swiss Apple Store - then I learnt about this display problem and have put the order on hold.

tommyv

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008

@immaculate: no, not yet, I'll wait couple of days to see if the problem gets official, and will call AppleCare for sure. Despite everything, a friend of mine ordered the same MBA today. Will keep you posted when it arrives.

immaculate

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Switzerland
thanks

@immaculate: no, not yet, I'll wait couple of days to see if the problem gets official, and will call AppleCare for sure. Despite everything, a friend of mine ordered the same MBA today. Will keep you posted when it arrives.

Thanks for the information - hope your friend's MBA is OK when it arrives.

bigrasmusdk

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
So what we can conclude so far is:

- Horizontal lines affects all around the world, but not everyone is hit by it.
- Missing Four finger swipe affects only MBA 2.0's with NON-US keyboards, everyone with them are hit by it.

StefanR.

Nov 8, 2008
got the Air today, Spanish keyboard. week 46

NO four finger swipe (I dont care, dont need that)

but the best!

NO thin faint horizontal lines :D !

happy.

menix

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
got the Air today, Spanish keyboard. week 46

NO four finger swipe (I dont care, dont need that)

but the best!

NO thin faint horizontal lines :D !

happy.

Hey StefanR, are you sure there are no lines? Even when you look close to it?

Today i got the replacement for my defective MBA and the replacement is Week 45, with lines, no 4finger scrolling AND a bent case that stands very uneven. and now? refund or should i give 'em yet another chance to exchange for a third replacement?

StefanR.

Nov 8, 2008
Hey StefanR, are you sure there are no lines? Even when you look close to it?

Today i got the replacement for my defective MBA and the replacement is Week 45, with lines, no 4finger scrolling AND a bent case that stands very uneven. and now? refund or should i give 'em yet another chance to exchange for a third replacement?

100% sure, no lines, close, far, left, right, down, up.... no lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.