Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Chundles said:
Networked shares browsing.

Currently it's a case of finding a computer, connecting to it, selecting a shared folder, mounting it on the desktop, opening the mounted folder and then navigating.

This is the one thing I miss from Windows where networked computers would appear as folders that could be opened and closed as if I were browsing folders on my own machine.

Personally I think networking on Macs suck. I don't like the idea of the Public folder, when I drag something into it the object disappears from its original location - so if I wanted to share a lot of files I'd need to duplicate them, no thanks.

If they fix networking to be more intuitive and easy then it would be the ultimate OS, it's my only real gripe about OS X.

Well said.

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
Something like Window's Save dialogue-being able to save files in the subfolders instead of the broader folders that are on the side of the Finder.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Aarow said:
Something like Window's Save dialogue-being able to save files in the subfolders instead of the broader folders that are on the side of the Finder.
Don't macs already have that?. Where you click the little arrow on the right side?

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
louiek said:
I haven't used windows in years but one linux/unix thing I'd love to be able to do is resize my windows by dragging something other than the bottom right hand corner. It's irritating having to put the top and left borders where I want them and then drag the bottom right hand corner.

YES!!! I really miss this. I miss it even more because I can't get a full screen window.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I cannt believe I forgot about the window resizing and only being able to do it in one corner in OSX. I knew there was something big I was leaving out.

I have to agree the keyboard commands for choosing bettween save, dont save and cancel (or any other pop up boxes like that) would be nice. Keyboard short cuts are nice and still can be used but still I dont like the the fact that in OSX you can not funition with out a using the cursor.

In most of XP you can navigated around with out ever using the mouse just by the keyboard for almost anything and everything relating to OS basices lv stuff to fix something is it goes wrong.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
1. Resize from any edge.
2. Being able to do everything I can do in Explorer, in a File Open dialog!
3. Menus on windows instead of at the top. Working long on my Mac kicks the carpel tunnel into overdrive. The extra mousing seems to aggravate it.
4. Have it remember a mounted network drive from session to session.
5. Keyboard enabling for all UI elements. I hate that you have to use a mouse to do stuff and can't tab to certain things.
6. Home and End are just silly in OSX, do people really go to go to the top of the document and end of the document more than go to the beginning and end of the current line.
7. Image thumbnails in explorer without having to open the preview app.

Just a few off the top of my head.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
ewinemiller said:
4. Have it remember a mounted network drive from session to session.

That really would be useful, I backup my stuff to a networked external drive.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'd like the ability to print a picture at a custom size without mucking with the paper size on the print dialog. Actually, come to think of it, I'd just like the OS X print dialog to GO AWAY... I can't stand it!

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
ewinemiller said:
5. Keyboard enabling for all UI elements. I hate that you have to use a mouse to do stuff and can't tab to certain things.
6. Home and End are just silly in OSX, do people really go to go to the top of the document and end of the document more than go to the beginning and end of the current line.
^Those and keyboard shortcuts that aren't kept secret i.e. like in XP I hit the Alt key and XP underlines the 'F' in file the 'a' in Favorites in the menu options letting me know how to shortcut key my way to do anything in those menus. Simple brilliance!

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
mpw said:
^Those and keyboard shortcuts that aren't kept secret i.e. like in XP I hit the Alt key and XP underlines the 'F' in file the 'a' in Favorites in the menu options letting me know how to shortcut key my way to do anything in those menus. Simple brilliance!

but that doesnt remove the fact people want a system of interacting with the UI with out having to go to short cut keys. XP allows for that. OSX does not

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
godbout said:
This is from windows and Linux, I would like an easy way to access the "top bar" (with the little blue apple) for example "control+e" to access edit...

Hit control-F2, then type the first couple letters of the menu you want to go to, then hit spacebar or return to drop it down, then type the first few letters of the entry you want, then hit spacebar or return again to use it.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
janey said:
some way to refresh finder without forcequitting it. Biggest pet peeve so far :)

You know you can add a Quit option to the Finder's menu via Tinkertool, right? Then you can just quit (and restart it) like any other application.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
There are two things that have bugged me from the start with OS X.

1) Finder's lack of cut and paste functions. So even if an actual "cut" feature is never implimented, let's have a better way of moving files from one place to another..I'm sure Apple can think of something!

2) The Trash can bugs the hell out of me! There's no reason why I should have to download an extra program just to empty the trash that resides on my USB drive, while keeping the trash that's on my hard drive. Why can't they come up with a delete per drive? How about limiting the size of the trash, or better yet, telling the user just how much space the trash takes up! Also, the ability to open files that are in the trash.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
dotdotdot said:
Writing a long sentence, whoops, want to go back and edit the word "writing," hit "Home" and I'm at the beginning of the sentence! Want to go back and finish it now, hit "End" and I'm at the end, where I left off.

CMD-leftarrow and CMD-rightarrow do it for sentences. Option-(l/r)arrow does it for words. Home and End do it for documents.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Timepass said:
but that doesnt remove the fact people want a system of interacting with the UI with out having to go to short cut keys. XP allows for that. OSX does not
:confused: I don't get what you're saying, please explain.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
mpw said:
:confused: I don't get what you're saying, please explain.

ok people are asking for a way to move around the OS with out using short cut keys. or having to relay on the cursor (you know the thing you mouse moves)

the largest one is when the box comes up Save , dont save, and cancel come up. Be able to move around those using the keyboarded. Normally only using arrow keys. I have attach a picture kind of showing what I mean. If you notic the 3 save dialog boxes and look at how they are a little differnt and how the yes, no and cancel are each have a bolder out line.
I moved around for each on of those ONLY using my keyboard. No short cut key to deside it all for me. After the choice I want is choosen I just have to hit entered and boom it done. This is an example of what people want but it would apply to ALL dialog boxes (like ones with next and so on) ones where the short cuts are not as well known or even out there. (just so it helps everyone out. In the order of the picture from top to bottom the opition used is Yes, No, Cancel)

Besides short cut keys are general not under the classifaction of general knowleged and requiring to use them makes the OS much less user friendly. But using arrow keys to move around is much more user friendly.

either way I hope the picture helps. Rememeber I moved around between the chooses only using the keyboard arrow keys and I could of choosen any one of them with just hitting the return key after I choose it.

Attachments

• save example.JPG
    save example.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 64

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
ewinemiller said:
3. Menus on windows instead of at the top. Working long on my Mac kicks the carpel tunnel into overdrive. The extra mousing seems to aggravate it.
:eek:

1/ use CocoaGesture
2/ Learn the shortcuts?
3/ Assign your very own shortcuts with the standard apps?

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Timepass said:
...Besides short cut keys are general not under the classifaction of general knowleged and requiring to use them makes the OS much less user friendly. But using arrow keys to move around is much more user friendly....
Oh right, I thought you were disagreeing with what I'd said but we're on the same path.

My point was that in your example to go from the default option highlighted in the dialouge window of 'Yes' to 'Cancel' you'd hit the arrow key twice and then enter or tab twice and enter, of course this uses the underlined shortcut key I was talking about so I'd just hit 'c' and save two keystrokes.

But you're right that tabbing to every item on a page is useful and works, IMO, better under XP than OSX.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
ewinemiller said:

Under no circumstances. Usability nightmare. Just slamming the pointer to the top is much faster/easier than having to carefully point at the menu bar.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.