Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Because of the "restrictions." In this case, the "restriction" is performance.

EDIT: OP has USB 3. My point still stands, however, since USB is much slower than the internal SSD.

USB 3 version is $5 more but I suspect the performance would be a lot slower. I'm quite happy with the performance of my fleet of bootable OSX install USB sticks but I only ever use them to reinstall OSX.

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Ok, let's start with this :D :

- I know it's a Developer Preview
- I know it's full of bugs and I'm not complaining
- I know that not all apps are going to work

Why do I want to do this :

I own a 15" Late 2013 Macbook Pro with Retina Display with a 256GB SSD and I'm running out of space with 2 partitions.

a) Mavericks - 200GB / Free 18GB (I store all my movies on my 3TB NAS Server)
b) Yosemite - 50GB / Free 21GB

If I install Yosemite as my Main OS I can get a lot of free space back.

- I paid the 99 bucks to get access to this betas so I want to play with them with no restrictions (an example of a restriction is running out of space).
- Yosemite has recieved 3 updates so far ; that's a lot of bug fixes and new features.
- I have a bug with Mavericks which is driving me insane.

I've been playing with DP3 for a couple of days and I must say, it's far better than the previous DPs.

Why I don't want to do this :

- Even if it's been updated 3 time since June, it's still a beta which means :

a) The system could crash at anytime (i haven't experienced this yet but you never know)
b) You can never trust the readings (for example, battery) on a beta OS
c) The apps I use the most work with Yosemite but maybe I'll buy an app tomorrow which does not work with 10.10

As you can see, I have the same number of pros and cons on this.
What should I do ? I wan't to know your thoughts.

well you didn't say what you do with your mac because that should be the most important factor in your decision. I own a macbook air running dp3 and all i really do is surf the web, watch vids, stream music, pdf's, Pages, and do emails. So for me the Previews have been perfectly fine (with the except of safari in dp3 which is more buggy than in the first two previews - audio streaming is affected along with loading quicktime and a few other smaller things).

But if you're playing games, doing photography editing (memory management is incredibly sloppy in the dp's), film editing, music creation and editing or using any kind of "pro" tools, then i would seriously advise you to wait until the beta's come out which will be sometime soon.

That also baffles me that you paid a 100 dollars! for a developer account when 1; the beta's are going to be free when they come out and 2; you don't need to get robbed by apple to run these Previews. Just install them. that's it. Whether you pay for a dev account or not it doesn't help with that fact that you can't easily downgrade back to mavericks. In the beta's you most likely will hence why they'll be public.

There's also a ton of small ***** that doesn't work properly that will work once the os comes out in sept. It all depends on what you use ur comp for.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Meh. Go for it. I'll be installing BP1 as my main OS when they release it. Just make sure you have a way of rolling back if you ever need to.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
well you didn't say what you do with your mac because that should be the most important factor in your decision. I own a macbook air running dp3 and all i really do is surf the web, watch vids, stream music, pdf's, Pages, and do emails. So for me the Previews have been perfectly fine (with the except of safari in dp3 which is more buggy than in the first two previews - audio streaming is affected along with loading quicktime and a few other smaller things).

But if you're playing games, doing photography editing (memory management is incredibly sloppy in the dp's), film editing, music creation and editing or using any kind of "pro" tools, then i would seriously advise you to wait until the beta's come out which will be sometime soon.

I use my Mac for heavy browsing (Forums, News, Shops, Facebook & Twitter, Youtube, etc - so Safari is a must have for me), heavy Mailing (5 accounts), Movies & TV Shows via AirPlay to my Apple TV, and iTunes is opened 24/7.

For games I have a PS3 and a Wii (and a Xbox 360 which caught fire a couple of months ago- LOL) so I don't play games on my Mac..

But here is the most important thing... I do edit photos in Aperture and Photoshop (it's not my job, just a hobby). Once every 2 or 3 months I go on a trip with my friends and take hundred of photos with my Nikon D90 and I import them to Aperture and edit them. But just last week I returned from a trip so probably the next one will be at the end of August, so that means I won't use Aperture that much until the next trip. And at the end of August I believe Yosemite will be at DP version 5.

That also baffles me that you paid a 100 dollars! for a developer account when 1; the beta's are going to be free when they come out and 2; you don't need to get robbed by apple to run these Previews. Just install them. that's it. Whether you pay for a dev account or not it doesn't help with that fact that you can't easily downgrade back to mavericks. In the beta's you most likely will hence why they'll be public.

I have a dev account since 2009.
I like testing betas, both OS X and iOS.
Currently I have iOS 8 on my iPad Air and 10.10 on my MBP.
Last year I had iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, 2 years ago I had iOS 6 on my iPhone 4. You get the point.

Last edited:

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Personally I keep my 2007 Macbook Pro around partly for trying out new versions of OSX when they hit public beta or I decide to install it ether way. However I do not install it on my main machine as I actually do work on it and do not want my work to suffer from yet-to-be-fixed flaws in a beta (or pre-beta) version of OSX.

So my recommendation would be that if you use your machine for something actually productive, then done, but if it's just your leisure machine, then go right ahead.

Last edited:

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
So my recommendation would be that if you use your machine for something actually productive, then done, but if it's just your leisure machine, then go right ahead.

Well, I am student (med school) but now it's summer so I got no school.
During school time, sure, I write my papers and study a lot with my machine (I sometimes take it to school, too) but now I got nothing (productive) to do with it. Except editing some photos now and then with Aperture and PS (but that's just a hobby of mine).

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Well, I am student (med school) but now it's summer so I got no school.
During school time, sure, I write my papers and study a lot with my machine (I sometimes take it to school, too) but now I got nothing (productive) to do with it. Except editing some photos now and then with Aperture and PS (but that's just a hobby of mine).

Well then I'd say go right ahead, but I would also recommend that you go back to 10.9 by the time the next semester starts.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I use my Mac for heavy browsing (Forums, News, Shops, Facebook & Twitter, Youtube, etc - so Safari is a must have for me), heavy Mailing (5 accounts), Movies & TV Shows via AirPlay to my Apple TV, and iTunes is opened 24/7.
But here is the most important thing... I do edit photos in Aperture and Photoshop (it's not my job, just a hobby).

Mail and Aperture have some problems right now. You might need to restart Mail frequently to get it to see Mail. The other things work well enough in my experience.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I've been waiting until the public beta to install it as my main. I've got it on an external partition at the moment, but Apple's public beta will give me confidence that it's stable enough to not brick my MacBook.

That being said, DP3 is very impressive in terms of performance. It's far quicker than dp2 was.

Salukipilot4590

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ive been running it as my main OS since day one.

The only issue I've seen is that my work app no longer syncs to iCloud...which sucks...but I also use it on my iPad (running 7.1.2).

No regrets here.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Definitely not even close to ready for prime time. Mission Control blurs lag, iCloud Drive has no use yet, dark mode is spotty, font is hideous, folders even more so. Overall much slower than Mavericks. When an OS gets me to downgrade in less than a day it's pretty shocking (and I'm a developer - hence my consideration to test it out). I do hope they fix these aesthetic "bugs" (I mean, turquoise folders?), otherwise I won't even upgrade to Yosemite. A faster Safari isn't going to convince me - I use Chrome & FF for all my needs.

Also, some crucial third-party apps don't even work yet (but that's expected).

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Ok, it's a rainy day, I got nothing to do and I'm bored.
About 10 minutes ago I deleted my 50GB Yosemite Partition.
I'm going in, Main OS baby. :eek:

I'm backing all my data manually (Aperture & iTunes library, documents, miscellaneous) to my NAS Server and I'm making a TimeMachine backup to my external HDD connected to my AE.

Also, I'm making a bootable OSX Mavericks USB Stick with DiskMaker X in case I need to get back.

Attachments

• Captur? de ecran din 2014.07.11 la 15.57.56.png
    Captur? de ecran din 2014.07.11 la 15.57.56.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I'm so happy ! :)
Everything works (including Paralles with Windows 8.1, FinalCut Pro, Aperture and Photoshop - the only "Pro" apps I use). I'm having problems with Bartender, that's all !
The UI lags sometimes but I turned of the transparency and everything works.
I did an upgrade, not a clean install.

Attachments

• Captur? de ecran din 2014.07.12 la 02.11.34.jpg
    Captur? de ecran din 2014.07.12 la 02.11.34.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Definitely not even close to ready for prime time. Mission Control blurs lag, iCloud Drive has no use yet, dark mode is spotty, font is hideous, folders even more so. Overall much slower than Mavericks. When an OS gets me to downgrade in less than a day it's pretty shocking (and I'm a developer - hence my consideration to test it out). I do hope they fix these aesthetic "bugs" (I mean, turquoise folders?), otherwise I won't even upgrade to Yosemite. A faster Safari isn't going to convince me - I use Chrome & FF for all my needs.

Also, some crucial third-party apps don't even work yet (but that's expected).

The font won't be changing, it's the same as iOS. You can change it back with tinker tool if it really bothers you. I doubt the folders will change, either, but at least it's easy to fix.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Because Yosemite is now my Main OS I can spend a lot more time with it.

Some things (good & bad - bugs) I noticed :

1) iTunes freezes every time I want to quit it. In order to close it, I have to "Force Quit" it.
2) Bookmarks not always showing in Safari.
3) Sometimes when I scroll my apps in Finder it lags.
4) My NAS Server and TimeCapsule don't always show in Finder. In order to see them I have to Relaunch Finder.
5) Battery life is GREAT, but not awesome. I could squeeze about 7.5hrs from my 15" Haswell Retina using Iris PRO.
6) Memory management is decent, but not great. I have 8GB / DDR3 1600MHz.
7) Safari is indeed snappier.
8) Notification Center freezes for a second or two when I open it.
9) When you zoom near the Dock it gets white.
10) When dark mode is enabled, I can't see the WiFi Networks.

... and that's all.
Damn, pretty good for a DP.

Last edited:

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Given the stability this way running at on my test machine, I took a gamble and installed in on my main OS.

No issues so far except for Outlook 2011 which was resolved by creating a new profile (been meaning to do that for a while anyway).

Running on MBA 13" Haswell. My test machine was a rMBP 15" (non-haswell).

:cool:

Loving the new interface.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
4) My NAS Server and TimeCapsule don't always show in Finder. In order to see them I have to Relaunch Finder.
NAS units are typically very sensitive to OS upgrades with Apple, because apple updates AFP and that usually causes issues.

ejenu

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
I use it as my main os for about a week now. No major issues, some freezing now and then and a whole lot slower boot compared to mavericks. Apart from that all good. I mainly surf the web and watch movies so i did not find any issues.

@Hamilton da-i bice! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.