Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cherish

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Desmay, Shumuri, Caudabe Veil & Spigen Air skin case all looks very similar to ebay cases that cost <$5.

To those that have tried them and ebay case, are they really worth the premium?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Desmay, Shumuri, Caudabe Veil & Spigen Air skin case all looks very similar to ebay cases that cost <$5.

I have the same query....

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011

Maybe if you can offer a few examples of ones on ebay instead of imagining it, it would be better. All the <$5 cases are TPU and not hardshells like the ones being discussed in this thread.

On a different note, all of these ultraslim cases are either on the manufacturing process or out of stock for the iPhone6 Plus :( I am going to return the AppleSilicone case because it makes the phone feel even bulkier, I wish I had one of these guys in hand by now.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
same here, not crazy about shipping from china though, the veil is from the us i believe.

Yup. The Shumuri is interesting, but I'm not buying anything shipped from China. One, the wait is too long and two, I don't care who makes them, these cases will wear out over time. So does a small brand in China have a warranty for US customers? Even if they do, will they honor it?

As for the el cheapo clones on eBay, been there done that. The quality is all over the place and you get what you pay for. I've had good experience in quality consistency with the Caudabe Veils that I've bought and they've been really good with sending me replacements. I don't know why they're not selling on Amazon though - I bought all my 5s Veils on Amazon with free two day shipping.

Cherish

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Maybe if you can offer a few examples of ones on ebay instead of imagining it, it would be better. All the <$5 cases are TPU and not hardshells like the ones being discussed in this thread.

On a different note, all of these ultraslim cases are either on the manufacturing process or out of stock for the iPhone6 Plus :( I am going to return the AppleSilicone case because it makes the phone feel even bulkier, I wish I had one of these guys in hand by now.

You have to learn to search better. There are tons of matte pp hard iphone 6 cases on ebay.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
You want a guarantee against wear? for a 0.xxmm piece of plastic? Did I misread that? I could see for early breakage I guess. These things are thin.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
You want a guarantee against wear? for a 0.xxmm piece of plastic? Did I misread that? I could see for early breakage I guess. These things are thin.

Yeah, you know, sort of like the "guarantee" Caudabe has for their products under which I've been able to get free replacements for my 5s Veils. You know, that sort of thing.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
i bought this cheapo case from Ebay..supposedly the thinnest case at .3mm.. should arrive in a couple days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191344779655?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This conversation feels like deja vu. There was a really long thread about this for the 5s as well. Those cheap eBay cases are cheap for a reason. They take forever to get here since they're shipped from China and then what you get isn't necessarily what you ordered. Sure, you might get lucky, but more often than not you'll get something that's different or not quite as nice as what appeared in the photos.

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
This conversation feels like deja vu. There was a really long thread about this for the 5s as well. Those cheap eBay cases are cheap for a reason. They take forever to get here since they're shipped from China and then what you get isn't necessarily what you ordered. Sure, you might get lucky, but more often than not you'll get something that's different or not quite as nice as what appeared in the photos.

true...if that was the case. This seller is 30minutes drive from where i live. Im in the Bay Area. I guess, will find out soon.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I picked up this .02mm case and had it a day before my 6 arrived. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201166925926

Super thin but lacking extra grip I'd like to have. Any cases that are close to this thin with some tackiness to them?

I picked up the Photive Bumper a Case from Amazon and it's decent (again, not as tacky as I'd like). I also picked up the Tech21 (way too big) and OtterBox Symmetry. The OB is actually pretty slim, for an OB. I just need something with some actual grip on it.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Shipped from China, imagine that.. so glad my iPhone is coming from USA, good ol' Kentucky, via UPS.. sure glad it's not coming from way over in China..

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I just wish it didn't have the raised lip in the front to protect the screen. I'd rather have no obstructions at the edge of my screen. Oh well.

This! Where can I get a thin case that still allows me to swipe to my hearts content?! The apple cases have this same issue.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

They are all the same. I have bought the < $5 on ebay and the $20 versions. In almost all cases they are the same.

I never have to buy cases from china. Filter your search in ebay and you will find them from us sellers.

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
the Shumuri and Veil seem to be very similar

any noticeable difference between these 2 ?

i'm not especially looking for the thinnest as i also want my case to compensate partially the thickness of the camera

but also durable quality and no material covering the round edges of the screen to keep the smooth gestures

b1scu1t

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
I live in the east coast and this seller seems to be in the US and will get me this case within 4-5 days. I have purchased numerous cases like these(for me & my friends) and they have worked quite well. The highlight of these cases are they are dirt cheap and there are a lot of us who prefer cases which complement the iphone rather than fully cover up the phone in some other color.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
This! Where can I get a thin case that still allows me to swipe to my hearts content?! The apple cases have this same issue.

The Shumuri case apparently has no lip. It stops at the aluminum. I'll be ordering one soon.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1782294/

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Does the air skin protect the camera on the 6+? Meaning when laying the phone flat on the table with the case it doesn't touch the table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.