Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
MacRumours as a whole should take a little responsibility as well. At times some of the rumours they write up are so obviously false or blatant product advertising. A little thought before the rumours are written up here would really ease the issue. Then we'd have every article being serious and worthy od discussion.

I am not saying the articles in general here are bad. They are not, most are good. But there is a small selection of articles that are just reposting junk runmours or blatant product advertising. We all know which articles these are.
Do you think MacRumors is lying here :
Are news stories really advertising in disguise?

No. We always identify our promotional arrangements, and we don't post undisclosed paid stories.

If we think you'll be interested in a particular story about a Mac or iOS app, or a commercial product, site, or service, then we'll post it. But we've never posted ads that masquerade as stories, and we never will.

Most routine product reports are on the blog sites. You can choose whether to follow all stories or just those on the Front Page by clicking the tabs of interest or by using the appropriate RSS feed or Twitter feed.
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en...-news-stories-really-advertising-in-disguise-

There might be stories that a reader thinks are, *meh*, boring or useless, but to call into question, using innuendo, the integrity of individual "reporters" (and the staff as a whole) is unfair and disrespectful. I think you owe an apology.

Regardless, posters' irrational reactions to stories aren't mitigated by the actual or perceived content of the story. Each of us might make a bum post, but I think the OP and others are discussing something beyond an off-post or two.

Reactions: Weaselboy

macs4nw

macrumors 601
And just to be clear I'm not saying this site should become Apple Insider full of kool-aid drinkers that think Apple can never do anything wrong. But there has to be some sort of happy medium. And when someone is consistently posting nothing but negative comments one has to wonder why are they even here? If you don't like Apple products why are you hanging out on an Apple centric website?
I dunno. Deep down they resent Apple for haven better products and a superior user experience than their chosen brand gives them, and they want to bring Apple and their clientele down to their own level of dissatisfaction?

Where is SHRINK when you need em?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I'll go on record right now: when the new Macs drop later this month the reaction will be mostly negative and the majority of comments will be complaining about something.
Ding Ding Ding!

Yes you were right. That said, I do think there is room for legitimate criticism, pretty sure you started a thread or two with some interesting points where Apple were less than perfect. Generally I agree with you though.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Seriously every front page story these days is full of negative comments. The negative overwhelmingly outweighs the positive. Every product sucks, every experience is horrible. Tim Cook needs to go. Everyone else on the executive team needs to go. And every story has someone complaining about lack of Mac updates. This is no longer an Apple rumor site it's an Apple hate site. :(

Agree. Why don't the 'I'm leaving Apple crowd' just go and quietly shut the door behind them. Or are they just bluffing? Would love to see survey results seeing if the whining few actually capitulate and stay within the ecosystem.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Agree. Why don't the 'I'm leaving Apple crowd' just go and quietly shut the door behind them. Or are they just bluffing? Would love to see survey results seeing if the whining few actually capitulate and stay within the ecosystem.

I don't mind reading of those who are leaving the Apple world and only hope they state clearly their reason why they are leaving. I consider the home computer world like politics, often the choice is about the lesser evil. Both of the main camps have their share of issues, customer frustrations and more. When people leave the Apple world they are often simply saying that at the time, the other camp is the lesser evil.

As for eco system - I don't use Airport Extreme, I go for a router that costs a lil less and does a hell of a lot more. I don't own an iMac, I use my laptop display and/or my NEC 24" graphics display. While I do have an iPhone that too might change or maybe will not. I don't find iTunes these days all that "nice" an app. I do like OSX for the most part and while pricey I do like my rMBP 15". I have had Minis, iMacs, Mac Pro , AE, Aexpress so yeah, I kind of do know my way around Mac hardware. I doubt I will ever get the new castrated Mac Mini, don't care much for the iMac as Apple's hard on for "thinner is better" is pathetic since the iMac is pretty much a table device not mobile, and certainly have absolutely zero desire for the new Mac (mini) Pro that was inspired in shape/design by Cook's own bplug. So...in my world I praise what I believe is good about Apple and unafraid to be critical of what I find lacking and as quick able to jump ship from Apple on any given device/hardware they sell.

Reactions: HJM.NL and nnoble

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
Apple seem managed by Kanye West, that is why people are upset. You have equipment, you have a tradition and the company comes with crappy watches, computers are old technology, OS has nothing new to offer and so on. But the CEO is smiling.

That makes people upset, there are reasons to be upset. The platform is decaying by negligence, by mediocre pretentious new executives.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I'll go on record right now: when the new Macs drop later this month the reaction will be mostly negative and the majority of comments will be complaining about something.
You may want to record the "incredible" reaction to the last keynote. What I see it's a long list of longtime forum users expressing their dislike for what's happening w/Apple. You may call them whiners, but I suggest you take a couple of steps down from where you placed yourself and start to realise that no all other human beings agree with you and your fellow buddies. Don't try to teach others how to behave and take a look at your posting:

60% ending with a question mark
15% complaining about MacRumors editorial line (remember you're guest in here)
10% complaining about others' sgtatements
15% actually on topic
For the first time in my life I suggest: go and get a life
Bye

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple seem managed by Kanye West, that is why people are upset. You have equipment, you have a tradition and the company comes with crappy watches, computers are old technology, OS has nothing new to offer and so on. But the CEO is smiling.

That makes people upset, there are reasons to be upset. The platform is decaying by negligence, by mediocre pretentious new executives.
People can certainly be upset for what we reasons would apply to them, but that doesn't mean they need to essentially spread that around everywhere they go, just because basically.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Why not? I personally do not see "one" person spreading things around, I see a community upset and even Apple stocks going down after the keynote.
there's a lot of people in here with a position in AAPL and it is quite clear their sentiment is biased with this. It seems they fear that every critic assesment in here will take AAPL stock down. Wish I had a power like this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why not? I personally do not see "one" person spreading things around, I see a community upset and even Apple stocks going down after the keynote.
Why not jump in and post complaints anywhere and everywhere detailing discussions about particular topics?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Agree. Why don't the 'I'm leaving Apple crowd' just go and quietly shut the door behind them. Or are they just bluffing?
There is always a knee jerk reaction when there's a bit of controversy tied in with a new Apple product announcement. It will calm down and once the dust has settled we will soon return to MacRumors normality.
Would love to see survey results seeing if the whining few actually capitulate and stay within the ecosystem.
The results are often amusing. I think the best example was when a member of Apple staff lost a late prototype of the iPhone 4 and it wasn't very well received by our forum members who slammed it for being ugly or a fake and posted there was no way they would be buying it if it was real. The same thread looked hilarious a few months later when many of them had "iPhone 4" listed in their signatures. :D

Reactions: keysofanxiety

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
There is always a knee jerk reaction when there's a bit of controversy tied in with a new Apple product announcement. It will calm down and once the dust has settled we will soon return to MacRumors normality.

The results are often amusing. I think the best example was when a member of Apple staff lost a late prototype of the iPhone 4 and it wasn't very well received by our forum members who slammed it for being ugly or a fake and posted there was no way they would be buying it if it was real. The same thread looked hilarious a few months later when many of them had "iPhone 4" listed in their signatures. :D

I think it is about time that MacRumors gets with the new school of thought and take a page from the American universities.

1) put out a list of words we must use and words we cannot use in the comments/forums
2) please designate a forum as a safe space for those that can't handle any comment considered negative about Apple and its products.
3) allow those that are offended to rally and digi-lynch folks like myself who might have a dissenting opinion and have us kicked off.

Okay, getting off my soap box of sarcasm and hope at least one person got a chortle.
[doublepost=1477778982][/doublepost]

Yes I do see a perfect comparison with Kanye West. T. Cook loves fish sticks just like Kanye (see South Park). Your reference to Kanye is appreciated and cheeky.

Last edited:

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
there's a lot of people in here with a position in AAPL and it is quite clear their sentiment is biased with this. It seems they fear that every critic assesment in here will take AAPL stock down. Wish I had a power like this.

It is "assessment".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 9.36.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 9.36.51 AM.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 97

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
And just to be clear I'm not saying this site should become Apple Insider full of kool-aid drinkers that think Apple can never do anything wrong. But there has to be some sort of happy medium. And when someone is consistently posting nothing but negative comments one has to wonder why are they even here? If you don't like Apple products why are you hanging out on an Apple centric website?
Some really love Apple but are perplexed at some of the decisions made in recent years.

I joined personally because after reading the articles for years, I felt some of the comments weren't true reflections of my experience and that of many other users. I joined to add my voice.
[doublepost=1477844335][/doublepost]
There are faithful Apple customers with legitimate concerns that their needs stopped being met.
I agree with this comment very much.

It's fair to raise concerns without being told to go somewhere else or be reminded about the competition.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Not sure how doing that in random comments for random articles on a rumors site would accomplish that.
So we need to just post positive stuff? I personally do both.
[doublepost=1477883452][/doublepost]
Not sure how doing that in random comments for random articles on a rumors site would accomplish that.
So we need to just post positive stuff? I personally do both.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
Most of the people complaining have legitimate concerns and they're just voicing their frustration/opinion. Seems like the veterans tend to have an arrogant attitude or "Apples knows better you moron, just utter nonsense etc.."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Most of the people complaining have legitimate concerns and they're just voicing their frustration/opinion. Seems like the veterans tend to have an arrogant attitude or "Apples knows better you moron, just utter nonsense etc.."
Seems like the more important point is being overlooked here--it's not about having legitimate concerns or anything like that, it's about voicing them anywhere and everywhere, oftentimes where those concerns don't really belong.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Seems like the more important point is being overlooked here--it's not about having legitimate concerns or anything like that, it's about voicing them anywhere and everywhere, oftentimes where those concerns don't really belong.
This is spot on. There is a fairly new and active thread about the best dongles for the new MacBook Pros and the last couple pages are about half filled with posts talking about "Apple has lost its way" and so on. The thread is about which dongle is best suited for a particular need. There are dozens of other threads where members can go do discuss their displeasure with Apple's decisions on ports.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
This is spot on. There is a fairly new and active thread about the best dongles for the new MacBook Pros and the last couple pages are about half filled with posts talking about "Apple has lost its way" and so on. The thread is about which dongle is best suited for a particular need. There are dozens of other threads where members can go do discuss their displeasure with Apple's decisions on ports.

Thank you- this is the essential point that people have been trying to make. I'm sorry that some people didn't get what they wanted from Apple and are unhappy with the direction that Apple is taking, but they can leave the rest of us alone with their petty, snarky, off-topic whining. I really don't know why these forums are allowed to be infested with that kind of junk.

There hasn't been a single Apple product this year that has interested me besides the iPhone 7, so guess what- I'm just not going to buy them! And if I want to let people know why I'm not impressed with Apple's lineup, I'll do so respectfully in a place where such discussion makes sense, not just spam the whole site with ridiculous snarky comments. If you're so full of rage that you're incapable of doing that, why would you want to be thinking about Apple let alone talking about them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.