Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
why go there? WHY?

Manzana said:
btw i do cringe when i see pismo's and wallstreets!

*ducks*

Insert pathetic looking face here [ex. moistening puppy dog eyes along with a half-pout/quivering lip] ... "but I _love_ my Pismo"

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
lorenzo said:
does anyone else cringe when they see those old apple clamshells? ahh, and to think... a few years back they seemed like the coolest.

What!? no way! I really liked those clamshell 'books! They should make an aluminum version ... wow, that would be a sweet looking computer.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I think there are two camps here:
The newbies, who have only known apple as white and metallic - and that is why they bought a Mac! - Now they own a Mac they feel they have become officionados on the Mac range.
And the Long time users, who have fallen in love with every Mac they have ever owned, and have been using computers that have ALWAYS looked better that the PC equivalents.
I would say the iBook G3's look better than 90% of PC laptops TODAY! And my Pismo looks better than 99% still 4 years on!
I have a friend who had to upgrade cos his pismo died, and when I visit him he looks on at mine longingly. He says "but the new models don't really have much personality, the'yre pretty much just silver slim boxes, sexy sure, but where's the identity!?"
So anyone who has only be using Macs for 4 years or less, pipe down, you weren't there, you don't know! Of course you like the new models more, the'ye part of what made you buy a Mac in the first place!

No-one puts Pismo in the corner!... If only they'd put the Apple logo on the right way, but in those days there was less posing with Macs (like most people seem to have them for these days - like being seen in the Apple store with your PowerBook is somehow 'trendy'). Whenever I'm in there abusing the Airport network, and catching a lecture, with my Pismo I feel somewhat superior; sure, the specs can't compare, but I was there WAY before most of you, and have maintained my laptop for 4 years, and really know my Mac.

The new ones have sexy appeal - it's like looking at a supermodel (generic), but the older machines have personality - like a sexy TV presenter, the lovely curves, the unique shape, and the strange, untennable thing that keeps you going back to the show every day!

You can't 'dis any of the Mac range, especially the Pismo - try using it for a year and you'll fall in love!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am looking to add an Orange (hey I ride KTM) and graphite Clamshell to my collection. My mom still uses a Pentium 233 Laptop for her primary computer. I want to get her into an Apple, and she won't let me buy her a new ibook.

Having the Handle on the case like the clamshell is going to be a big plus for her also!!

trtam

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
USA
I love those things!

The first Mac I had was an orange (tangerine) clamshell! Those were so cool!

I wish I still had it...

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
My wife still uses her Indigo clamshell everyday, although mostly just for web browsing and iTunes. It is stock, with a total of 320MB RAM and Airport. We've kept it at 10.2.8. The battery has 20 minutes of life, so it stays plugged in. The beer stain on the bottom adds character.

The looks never bothered me (or her, of course) too much, though the screen resolution, coupled with the vast expanse of plastic around said screen, can be frustrating. And it is an easy target for toilet-seat-themed jabs.

LOVE the handle!

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
two words: toilet seat.

what a terrible design. bulky case, low-res screen (dim, too), CD-ROM or DVD-ROM only (no writeable anything), not even stereo speakers for cryin' out loud.

I'd rather have a dell. or rabies.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
vga4life said:
two words: toilet seat.

what a terrible design. bulky case, low-res screen (dim, too), CD-ROM or DVD-ROM only (no writeable anything), not even stereo speakers for cryin' out loud.

I'd rather have a dell. or rabies.

And what are toilet seats? Comfy, useful devices on which you spend most of your day on after a curry. What are iBooks... comfy, useful devices on which you spend most of your day on after a curry :)

The resolution and the lack of CDRW really gets to me. The stereo speakers doesn't bother me. The iBook clamshells are great and still have personality as mentioned above about Pismos. The iBook whites feel like something out of 1984.

sonofapplepm

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Wheatland, Ia
The Tangerine clamshell i have gets just as much attention from onlookers as my 17" Powerbook, sometimes more! The resolution is the only thing i can complain about. It's been upgraded to a 366 processor and a cdrw.
I will keep it even after it no longer works, maybe another 3 years. I just love what it stands for, think different!

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i think the clamshells are greats, I've been trying to get ahold of one recently to replace my 1.5GHz Powerbook, and my brother has one but won't give it up even though he never uses it :(

bbcountach

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
I'm still kinda new at some of this Mac stuff, can I swap out some parts on the clamshells, like the processors and hard drives to upgrade performance?
I think they still look pretty cool, I just think they might be a little lagging in the amount of power i need.
-B

sorry about the double post!

bbcountach

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
I'm still kinda new at some of this Mac stuff, can I swap out some parts on the clamshells, like the processors and hard drives to upgrade performance?
I think they still look pretty cool, I just think they might be a little lacking in the amount of power i need.
-B

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
markjones05 said:
I bought a graphite 500mhz one ...
The graphite clam-shell iBooks were 466mhz, not 500 if I remember correctly. The 500mhz ones were the new white dual USB jobs.

I have a blueberry and tangerine original iBook for my collection :mad: :mad: :joins brap in smacking the newbie:

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
bbcountach said:
I'm using mine right now, with OS 8.6, and it's rock-solid stable (96mb RAM!)
You can replace the HD if you want, but it's a really involved process taking at least 1 hour, so you'd better be good with hardware (and keeping track of screws.) None of the iBooks are very open-up-and-tinker-friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.