Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
SiliconAddict said:
BAD IDEA.....Windows [or] OS X. Doesn't matter. Modern OSs handled unexpected loss of power better then any previous OS but doing so still leaves the chance open for file corruption.

We had off and on power problems in our building last year.

I probably had about 20 times when the lab lost power, dropping a couple of hundred Linux and Windows systems each time.

I lost a handful of power supplies due these events, but no filesystems.

The journaling in NTFS and ext3 is pretty remarkable - I don't think twice about telneting into a power strip and dropping the power to a rack of systems.

Of course, you'll probably lose any unsaved *application* data unless the application is also journaling....

liveoak97

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2004
Tiger features more exciting than this bland leak

The Tiger features are much more exciting than better .Mac integration and a new sidebar. The builds that I saw in late January had vertical dock integration (sort of a dock within a dock) that would slide out. In other words, all of your photo applications could be represented in the main dock by one icon and when you selected that icon, another dock would slide out, perpendicular from it. I was aware that there may be 3rd party applications that do something similiar, but this was really slick. I also saw some really stunning Quartz Extreme effects that are somewhat similar to the "Looking Glass" project that Sun Microsystems demoed a while back. They were not entirely stable (nor were they fast) when I saw them. But I expect Apple has improved the code greatly in the many months since. The depth provided by this effect will advance the way you see and access files. The "brushed steel" look in Panther was not evident at that time, though what I saw was rather stripped-down so I would not be able to comment reliably on that.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
robbieduncan said:
I think Panther already uses gcc 3.3 (well as long as you have a recent version of XCode). Check it out here

sorry should have been more clear. i meant i wonder if they will continue to use gcc3.3 or will switch to the new xl/xlc compilers.

el_aarono

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
USA
cool...

liveoak97 said:
The builds that I saw in late January had vertical dock integration (sort of a dock within a dock) that would slide out. In other words, all of your photo applications could be represented in the main dock by one icon and when you selected that icon, another dock would slide out, perpendicular from it.

This sounds pretty cool and is something I could really use. My dock is getting way too big. As I said in my previous post, I would still like multiple docks; the ability to put one on the left side, one on the right, one on the bottom, etc.

Also, it might be nice to be able to label sections of the dock with a specific color code. Just a thought.

later,

a.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
JohnStrass said:
How about for home users the simple ability to SHUT DOWN (from any user) with the option of not having to log-in to each user and log them off. It is a pain in the butt for me to turn off my iMac then I get this stupid meessage cause my wife used a program under her user. I just want to be able tu turn off the computer ASAP sometimes.

bash> sudo shutdown -h now

djdarlek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
JohnStrass said:
How about for home users the simple ability to SHUT DOWN (from any user) with the option of not having to log-in to each user and log them off. It is a pain in the butt for me to turn off my iMac then I get this stupid meessage cause my wife used a program under her user. I just want to be able tu turn off the computer ASAP sometimes.

same problem.. same computer.. different wife... BUT i think it usually warns me that another user is logged in before you shut down and asks for a password to confirm that you really really really do want to shutdown.. add your name/password in the box and it should shut down.. hope this helps save you some time waiting for 10.4

dave

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
javabear90 said:
How would you be able to drag things to the trash can????

trash should be on the desktop, not on the dock, where it moves. with expose, it's easier than ever to clear the entire screen to bring up the desktop...

for the original post about dock on the desktop, try using tinkertools to anchor your dock to one of the corners. this is a decent compromise you may want to try, as i find it unlikely that apple will move the trash out of the dock.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
ClimbingTheLog said:
What does XP do, just discard all unsaved changes without asking?

If there are other users logged in - there will be an extra popup warning you that the other users will lose unsaved data if you proceed with the shutdown.

You have to click [OK] to shutdown.

Of course, you can standby (sleep) or hibernate (copy RAM to disk and poweroff) as well.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
JohnnyFirpo said:
Back in 1994, the Quadra 840AV was speech controllable. I know it was not perfect, just for the record.
Yes it was.

Had one. Loved it. Just died this year.

Funny thing. When I was programming and made a low level goof, while the mouse and keyboard would not respond, I could still issue a verbal command to the computer to Restart or Shutdown.

Sushi

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'd like to see an option to search google.co.uk in Safari rather than just google.com. That can be a real pain sometimes.

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
See through lingerie

How can you improve upon perfection? I ask myself this question each time Apple is going to change it's interface, and yet, each time they go far beyond anything I could have imagined. Though given the latest rumors, patent applications, and the upcoming Longhorn promises, I suspect that the interface enhancements are going to include some kind of translucency (see through :eek:) or perhaps 3D elements, or both!

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
SilentPanda said:
If you just have it launch at startup with the hidden option selected it will launch iCal (displaying the correct date) plus it won't bring iCal up on the screen (although iCal will be running). I don't know if that's what you want but... there it is.

Yea, you can find that in Sys Prefs> Accounts> UserName> Startup Items. Make sure to have it start up hidden or otherwise, AFAIK, it will be open.

------

I'm really looking forward to Tiger. I happen to like the sidebar and the brushed metal. but I'm always up for a change. More speed would be nice, along with the iCal thingy, better network integration and browsing. I guess multiple docks would be nice, but I think that might clutter up my screen to much. As for multiple desktops, isn't that possible with FUS? :rolleyes:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
LEgregius said:
Maybe they will make it better looking. I thought 10.1 was beautiful, needed some tweaks, but beautiful. 10.2 had the tweaks, but also, I think, didn't look quite as nice. Panther is still better than other things I've seen, but I think it's just not as attractive. I didn't have any usablility complaints with Aqua in 10.2. One of the things I miss the most is the semi-transparent window border for non-focused windows. I think that was the best visual clue I've ever seen for making the active window stand out. I also liked the big, bulby window border buttons. They had a lot more character than the recessed ones in panther.
<p>
I certainly hope Tiger isn't even flatter and less striped. I may have to start themeing.

Wow. You just spelled out the complete opposite of everything I would have said, and lot of other users as well. Panther is the most refined, easy-on-the-eyes interface I've ever used bar none!

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'd like to have a clock on the login window and to be able to log out from the log in window as well. It's annoying to have to log in to log yourself out (or lesser accounts for that matter.).

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Calebj14 said:
As for multiple desktops, isn't that possible with FUS? :rolleyes:

no, because different accounts will have different priviledges...

a document created by A will not be modifiable or even viewable by B. that's not exactly multiple desktop.

the fact FUS is so similar to multiple desktop in function/looks begs the question why apple hasn't included with multiple desktop already, not the other way around.

MrToast

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
USA
Prophecy time again!

Hi everyone!

It's time for Mr. Toast's Prophecy Post!

Come WWDC, Mr. Jobs (a.k.a. God) will come up on stage and talk about how Tiger has lots on new features blah blah blah and how it will be an entirely 64 bit OS.

"And, of course, you'll need a 64 bit computer to run a 64 bit OS. Introducing the PowerBook G5!"

Amen.

MrToast

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
MrToast said:
Hi everyone!

It's time for Mr. Toast's Prophecy Post!

Come WWDC, Mr. Jobs (a.k.a. God) will come up on stage and talk about how Tiger has lots on new features blah blah blah and how it will be an entirely 64 bit OS.

"And, of course, you'll need a 64 bit computer to run a 64 bit OS. Introducing the PowerBook G5!"

Amen.

MrToast

i'm thinking no.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
JohnStrass said:

i think a good way to solve this would be a window that appears if someone else's logged (if the account has apps open) asking the users password. when entering it (or them in case there's more accounts open) the computer would shut down just like if you'd have entered all the accounts and logged them off.

of course another possibility would be that the adminstrator could shut down even if someone had processes going on in their accounts.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
rnizlek said:
Well, isn't Tiger supposed to have native 64 bit support? That should speed things up for those with G5s.

The biggest thing I want to see in 10.4, though, is a solution to the "G5 freeze" problem! Assuming it is a software problem, that is.

I'd buy 10.4 just for that.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether making Tiger 64 bit native would increase it's speed, but I'd be willing to chance it anyway. I have a 64 bit processor, why stay with a 32 bit OS?

There's just about zero chance that Tiger will be 64bit native. Think about all the hardware that would then be deemed "legacy," even if it was purchased, say a week ago?! With the G4 being 32bit and still being sold and in most all of the recently sold machines, Apple couldn't make Tiger 64bit native. There'd have to be some sort of 32bit emulation OS to run Tiger. That, IMHO, would slow things down, not speed them up. Yes, we'll see 64bit native OSs in the future, but not with Tiger.

boomtopper

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2004
UK Huddersfield
I'd like to see an option to search google.co.uk in Safari rather than just google.com. That can be a real pain sometimes.
i totally agree with you on that MacRy.
I hope apple tweak the dock a little bit. Don't get me wrong the dock is great for somethings but sometimes i find it a annoyance.
I think apple will also use the brushed metal appearance even more in this release because at the mo it seems like the mac os is transitioning from the pin stripe look to the brushed metal appearance. I actually like the brushed metal appearance.

enscjeff

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2004
Home on iPod?

Anyone have a feeling about this? With new Toshiba drives are on the way home on iPod would be a great feature to add. It would certainly push me into buying a new iPod!

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Calebj14 said:
As for multiple desktops, isn't that possible with FUS? :rolleyes:

Well, using FUS for that is really kind of a hack, but wsmanager does it very well, and is a free dowload, so I don't see that as a killer app for Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.