Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
mrsebastian said:
gimmie, gimmie, gimmie with my updated g5 please :D

not that this is very relevant to the topic of this thread, but apple *did* promise 3.0GHz G5's within a year, and they were announced at last years WWDC... So i'd almost say that updated G5's are a gimme.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Applications manager!

That would be kick ass, about that thing with multiple dock, yeah! so you can organize your apps according to its function... actually what I want to pay 129$ for is a kind of app manager like F10 launcher, something you could handle with the mouse/keyboard, I thought panther would come with that and didn't buy the F10 program, now I took a view again at it and althought you can manage the apps, is still far away from the easy of use style...I hope to see Tiger by October, right now I will take 99EUR for my second .mac year... :) ... Come'on steve, do not forget the appleworks update! (I know, offtopic, but I hope apple will read this)

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Calebj14 said:
I'd like to have a clock on the login window and to be able to log out from the log in window as well. It's annoying to have to log in to log yourself out (or lesser accounts for that matter.).

you said it! i've thought about this logout thing a couple of times, but I never remember to report it anywhere :) that clock idea isn't any bad either.. also a screensaver on the login window would be ok, though not a must-have option.

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
This .mac integration could be interesting, but it seems like very few have accounts -- including me. If apple offered a 'good' 'better' 'best' scenario for .mac, with the 'best' option topping out at $99US -- I could be convinced to at least use the portion of features that are integrated into Tiger.

The upgrade from Jaguar to Panther was worth every cent -- even though it broke some of my software. But I think everyone will agree with me when I say that there had better be some darn good features if they plan to charge more!

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
A Wish for What Tiger Was

From a user perspective (not a developer one) there are some very simple things I want, and I bet a good few others.

Apple should concentrate on delivering on the detail this time around, rather than headline features:

1: Faster finder updating - new files, and changes to files should appear straight away f.f.s.!

2: Split off that 'preview' thread, so that when you start previewing a 1gig .avi file, you can actually still carry on using the finder, not sit staring at the beachball for 2 minutes.

3: SPEED - we can always use more speed. Don't know what the plans are for Apple, but new compiler technology from IBM can offer solid speed increases in the baseline OS code that is compatible with Apples use of GCC in XCode.

4: Better Bluetooth services, that people like Sailing Cliker, and Romeo can use to develop their products further.

5: Improved UI - Flattening the buttons and scrollbars in the same way the titlebar buttons have been flattened/ recessed would make for a cleaner interface. - Also, the whole UI should be tightened up a la the Pro line of products from Apple - these are so much more space efficient and softer on the eyes.

6: Do some serious work with Macromedia on the speed of the Flash Player for Mac - I never liked flash much, but we manage a $1million dollar digital marketing budget for our client and deliver them a Flash based site. God-damn it's slow when compared to the Wintel player.

7: Sort out the bloomin Network browsing - makes absolutely no sense to anyone pro or consumer alike.

8: Font management still sucks - ever tried booting up with 12,000 fonts installed?

etc
etc
etc
:)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Apple has its own .NET called PDO (Portable Distributed Objects) which is really targeted at the Enterprise and is CORBA compliant. My guess is if they do update it to interface with .NET via SOAP Web Services, include C# language runtime within XCode, than either they are adding to the Mono project or will include C# hooks into GCC that have Objective-C Wrappers ala ObjC#.

gerrycurl said:
I heard on some rumor website that Apple has ported some of .NET to OS X. This will
mean .NET run time libraries and C# for Xcode. This makes sense to happen for OS X
because eventually, MS Office will be all based on the .NET run time libraries. Not
exactly exciting, but .NET is a rather nice architecture, Longhorn is supposed to be
a huge derivative of the .NET framework, this will definitely push Apple to beat MS's
arse again by the oneuppance Jobs.

Anyway, I agree with the first poster--so far Tiger sounds boring!! SNORE.......

SLAPSHOTW

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2004
AidenShaw said:
I use the switch on the power strip for this....

Aiden-

This is a very bad move. Not only for software, but your hardware could become extremely damaged by this.

-Matt

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
enscjeff said:
Anyone have a feeling about this? With new Toshiba drives are on the way home on iPod would be a great feature to add. It would certainly push me into buying a new iPod!

Yes and no. Apple would have to make damn sure that there is some form of replication that allows you to have a backup of your home folder on your home computer. (Someone had mentioned this yesterday in the Tosh 60GB thread.) Otherwise people would be idiots to use this feature. Go to an iPod enthusiast site and check the forums. Count the number of failed hard. Would you really want to take the chance of losing everything in your home folder?
But as I said before if Apple implements some backup procedures to make sure that the chance of losing that info is minimal then more power to em.

darthdrinker

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
cr2sh said:
Well it's not in mine... didn't I just spend $130 for an OS? Then apple doesn't have the decency to allows us to update our copies to iLife '04... oh, and then they plan on introducing Tiger and charge more for it?

I'm sorry, but its crap.

Right on brother!
I work at a high securety department of a large company and we haven't even taken 10.3 into production yet. What is going on with these guy's at apple. Don't they listen to end users anymore. Apple is becoming more and more like microsoft. Except without the large mindless userbase.....

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
I am with danman...

More SPEED please! Faster video drivers even?

As for fonts, make Font Book better or give us the option to dis-comingle it so that we can use professional font managers.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
What Apple should put in 10.4

Here is what I am looking for in 10.4:
  • Fix the finder: After four year sof OS X, the finder is sadly, an embarrassingly large blemish on a great operating system. Besides missing many features which us prosumers have been requesting for years (Smart Folders ala iTunes, metadata file system) and bugs that make it quite unusable at times (lack of multithreading, file sharing crashes), Apple needs to sit down and decide what the finder is, and what it is not. Is it going to be a Windows Explorer clone with ever increasing but pointless Internet integration, or is it going to be a simple, elegant, stable way to access and manipulate the file system? Since I can’t put it better my self, I suggest everyone check out John Siracusa’s criticisms and solutions for the finder. This should be priority #1 for Apple.

• Fix the Dock: While I think the current dock has lots of great elements, but it still uses screen real estate pretty inefficiently , and does not come together in a cohesive way for me. I am not sure what the exact solution is, but something that allows have groups of programs, or some icons smaller than others, so I can fit what I use regularly in the dock.

• Update Mail and Safari: These are two the of most important applications on the Mac Platform. Mail is a good program, but it slows to a crawl on my iBook 500. I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, but this is just an email program people! Eudora, and Entourage fly by in comparison, though are of course greatly lacking in the usability department. Safari, is perfectly fast enough, but quite lacking in advanced features. Why can’t I choose which search engine the google search box searches, for example?

• More quartz extreme type effects: Now we know the plumbing is there, so to speak, so I expect nothing less than Apple to take this to the next level. I am kind of envisioning a Looking glass type interface where every window is basically an object that I can manipulate on the fly. I am sure apple has other things up there sleeves well.

• Miscellaneous changes: Make the Apple Menu customizable, ala OS 9. Let users put the trash where they want. Bring real cross platform file sharing to the finder (SMB, FTP, and stable! ) . Revamp disk first aid to be an advanced tool like Disk Warrior is. Include Apple Backup utility to non .Mac users. A Terminal, VNC type sever and client built in. Bring support for more Printers and Scanners. Add a tool for removing software such as the “Add/Remove programs” control panel in Windows. And there are more, Many more, if I had time to write them.

drewel

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
New PB pre-installed w/ Tiger?

If I buy a PB in July- will it have Tiger installed?

Thing is, can't buy it before then b/c I am in Asia & no where near a Mac now. :eek:

Or should I hold off on buying until Tiger released (assumming release right around the corner)?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
drewel said:

Thing is, can't buy it before then b/c I am in Asia & no where near a Mac now. :eek:

Or should I hold off on buying until Tiger released (assumming release right around the corner)?

At WWDC Tiger is only previewed. It probably won't be out before October at least, but it could possibly take even longer (perhaps January 2005?)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No, it won't have Tiger installed...
SJ will just be talking about Tiger... it won't be released until later in the year.

drewel said:

animemaster

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
update

michaelrjohnson said:
well, so far, it's a bust. i know, i know, this is unconfirmed tentative prerelease rumor info on a product still in the early stages of development... BUT I don't use .Mac, so there had better be more features than enabling us to put URLs in the Finder Sidebar. I mean, come on. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, I wasn't too excited to read the reference to charging MORE than $129 for this update. We'll see what apple pulls out at WWDC. So far, it's a no go.

Just to make things clear, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, etc, are NOT upgrades of the sort. You DON'T have to upgrade or even update to the new version. No one is forcing you, and 99% of the software for Mac OS X runs on 10.0. These are more technically full versions of the operating system. You can go straight from mac os 9 to 10.4 when it comes out. You can do the same from 10.2 or .3. So, people who think that you're buying a small update, you're not. It's a full fledged operating system.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i would hope for multiple desktops as well, increased speed, ect i want a lot of new features! but ill let apple surprize me with them first LOL

for those of you craving muplitple desktops now there is Desktop Manager it works good for me for now at least

crazedbytheheat

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
F10 Totally Rocks

AmigoMac said:
That would be kick ass, about that thing with multiple dock, yeah! so you can organize your apps according to its function... actually what I want to pay 129$ for is a kind of app manager like F10 launcher, something you could handle with the mouse/keyboard, I thought panther would come with that and didn't buy the F10 program, now I took a view again at it and althought you can manage the apps, is still far away from the easy of use style...I hope to see Tiger by October, right now I will take 99EUR for my second .mac year... :) ... Come'on steve, do not forget the appleworks update! (I know, offtopic, but I hope apple will read this)

F10 is the best application launcher I've ever used. If you don't own it, buy it - you won't be sorry. My doc only has a few items I use absolutely every day. Finding apps and files is a snap. I wish it were a bit easier to maintain, though.

Other things I'd like to see:

- Shared iCal calendars without .mac on the local network (and not just everyone using the same calendar location).
- Virtual folders in Finder - i.e. let me group files hierarchically and also create virtual folders of related files. You can do this with aliases, but managing them is a pain. I'd also like "Smart Folders" that can use the color tag thingies or some other metadata (but hide the goofy colors).
- Fix the network stuff in Finder. It basically works, but still isn't great.
- Multi-user .mac accounts. I use .mac, but don't really want to cough up the extra dough to get a second account for my wife. iDisk is pretty cool if you have multiple computers and travel. iCal online would be pretty cool too.

I hope the family pack stays at $200. With three computers that's a pretty good deal.

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
jxyama said:
an example is this: when you change the view (between icon/list/column) and press "back" on the Finder, it goes back to the previous view style. this is useless. "back" should move up a level in the current view, if the Finder is meant to be a browser or shouldn't exist at all if it's a symbolic representation of files/folders.

it's quite frustrating sometime.

exactly. i LOVE the columns view, use it 95% of the time (except when i need to sort by date modified or something). but it's really annoying when i can't back up past my home folder. that's not the top level of the computer, now is it? let me back up 'til i can't back no more!

and for the person that was saying that the left finder toolbar is too large in panther, i agree. have you ever resized it to just the icons? i like that view much better.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
michaelrjohnson said:
well, so far, it's a bust. i know, i know, this is unconfirmed tentative prerelease rumor info on a product still in the early stages of development... BUT I don't use .Mac, so there had better be more features than enabling us to put URLs in the Finder Sidebar. I mean, come on. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, I wasn't too excited to read the reference to charging MORE than $129 for this update. We'll see what apple pulls out at WWDC. So far, it's a no go.

I'm not going to rush to any judgments. Last year we were all getting ourselves moist over early rumors of Piles. I'm not holding my breath that any of this vague rumor is particularly accurate.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
There have been a few posts about Speech Recognition being part of Tiger, this is not what they are adding. The new feature is called Spoken Interface, it would allow low-vision and blind users to navigate through the desktop and have verbal recognition of what they are opening, I would assume it would read back email and webpages as well. I personally think that this is a great feature. Does anyone know if Safari support Aural CSS standards?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.