Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
While I agree with the sentiment and the reasoning behind Cook's message, Apple is becoming more and more arrogant by the second.

With respect, what gives them the right to overrule a court ruling? I see somebody (very likely Tim Cook), going to prison for this as you simply cannot ignore a court ruling.

No corporation should ever have this power otherwise they're all beyond the reach of the law and our rights would be dictated by Apple. (And we know exactly where that would go).

Reactions: CmdrLaForge

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Because that's not how it works. If Apple create a way to do this, they'll want the tool itself and make sure they get it. Also, this isn't a one-phone only case, it sets a dangerous precedent for all future requests.
And your an expert on "how it works"? There are many ways it could work. It doesn't have to be a tool. It could be a process, or software that only works one time on one phone. Of course the intelligence exists to create a backdoor (at least to bypass the brute force password lock). There can certainly be a way to make it less "universal" and more "one time". Just like a search warrant, if one is issued to Apple to unlock a criminals phone, what's the difference?

Reactions: CmdrLaForge

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
CNBC has a poll up on this. 50-50 split. This is no longer just a theoretical debate on privacy and security. And if the media (and politicians) is able to spin this as Apple siding with terrorists then I don't see how Apple wins in the court of public opinion. Is this a hill Tim Cook is willing to die on?
I already see it in the YouTube comments on cnn's repot of this. I know...YouTube comments are always cancer anyway, but I really am shocked at the amount of spin on something that should be a universal issue. It should really be as simple as "do you want yours and everybody else's privacy to go out the window"? Apparently people aren't understanding it like that
[doublepost=1455718532][/doublepost]
What's wrong with guns? Gun ownership is up and gun crime is down...
So you're saying there is a direct correlation between more guns and less crime? Citation needed for the studies you've read

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Apple will have a hard time fighting this one. The national media is already reporting it as "Apple refuses to unlock terrorist iPhone".

The masses are easily frightened into giving up rights and privacy for perceived security.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
While I agree with the sentiment and the reasoning behind Cook's message, Apple is becoming more and more arrogant by the second.

With respect, what gives them the right to overrule a court ruling? I see somebody (very likely Tim Cook), going to prison for this as you simply cannot ignore a court ruling.

No corporation should ever have this power otherwise they're all beyond the reach of the law and our rights would be dictated by Apple. (And we know exactly where that would go).

Apple has been told to provide 'reasonable technical assistance'.... Who decides what is reasonable?

Apple doesn't agree that allowing the the creation of a backdoor to be 'reasonable' so they are still complying with the court ruling.

Reactions: caligurl

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
THIS, alone is why every Apple product is worth what they are and then some to me.
Turns out he has a vendetta against overreaching governments who perform illegal mass surveillance which was found to be unconstitutional. I don't wonder what he is up to in Russia because he has already stated it. His girlfriend moved there to live with him and he does consulting work for a internet security firm. He is outside the reach of US, aka SAFE. Remember when the US took down the bolivian presidents plane because they thought he might be on it? Remember when they hit him with charges that he would be unable to defend himself from, removing any hope of a fair trial?

"Consulting work for an Internet security firm" you really can't be that gullible...or maybe you are.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I'm not sure how this ends, probably at the Supreme Court. But I agree that companies shouldn't be able to defy court orders. Just like I'm sure Tim Cook disagreed with Kim Davis refusing to authorize SSM licenses. This morning Donald Trump came out against Apple. While I think he's a clown of the highest order I'm not convinced a majority of the public is on Apple's side on this one. And I'm sure other candidates will be speaking out on it soon. I don't think a letter on Apple's website will be enough to turn public opinion.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/politics/donald-trump-apple-encryption-debate/

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
You don't get it. Fair enough.

The FBI can ask a court to make Apple give this hypothetical unlocking tool which they don't have to the FBI. After that, well, we know the government totally isn't interested in surveilling everyday Americans, right?

Oh, wait. It is.
Americans are watched everyday already. In public. On the roads. In buildings, restaurants, banks, shops, etc. Police cars have license plate scanners that records every cars license plate it sees and where it sees it. Pretty scary database, there, huh?

Personally, I don't have anything on my iPhone I don't want the government to see (or that they can't already see). I'm one of billions of people and I'm sure they have better things to do than look at my pictures and texts. If people have something to hide, there is usually a reason.

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
It'd be awesome if it could only be used for good but we all know that's a dream. What's next? telling security companies to let the gov't have access to their systems to watch for criminals? Making trash companies store trash for a certain period before finally disposing?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Not to sound harsh, but if 1000 people were killed by this guy, I would STILL want Apple NOT to comply. You can't take rights away from billions, even at the expense of 1000. The loss of any life is something that anyone with a conscious doesn't wish to endure. However, giving the government complete access to our private lives is simply out of the question for me. North Korea, yes. United States of America? Hell no!!!

Remember, once you lose a freedom, it's never coming back. When people tell you loss of liberty will lead to a better and safer life, make a run for the border as fast as you can!

EDIT: Before anyone complains about my use of "billions." I know there are not billions of people in the US. But this could affect everyone on the planet who has any type of device, not just Apple. Where would it end?

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
"Consulting work for an Internet security firm" you really can't be that gullible

No sir.

– You are 35,079 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
– You are 33,842 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack
your prescription meds are more likely to kill you than any other source of injury. So your meds are thousands of times more likely to kill you than Al Qaeda
“Number of American civilians who died worldwide in terrorist attacks last year: 8 — Minimum number who died after being struck by lightning: 29.” (2011)

Reactions: nj1266 and riomp300

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
I agree on the need for high security and protection of privacy, its good to know that data on the iPhone is so well encrypted. However in cases like this then Apple should help them pull data off the phone.

Im not saying build the backdoor they want, but surely one of Apples own engineers could pull the data in an Apple private lab and then just hand that data over to the FBI without showing them exactly how they got that data from the phone.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I am sure that most europeans won't mind getting a cheap replacement phone for the visit to the USA. Makes much more sense then exposing all my data to the authorities.

Seeing how people here hate "cheap" Android phones I don't see that going over to well if you're in the Apple camp.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I already see it in the YouTube comments on cnn's repot of this. I know...YouTube comments are always cancer anyway, but I really am shocked at the amount of spin on something that should be a universal issue. It should really be as simple as "do you want yours and everybody else's privacy to go out the window"? Apparently people aren't understanding it like that.

Again because this is no longer theoretical. In theory most people probably agree with Apple but then when it's applied to a specific case opinion shifts. That's why I say if this is a hill Tim Cook is willing to die on just a letter to customers on Apple's website won't be enough. Perhaps Apple PR should be thinking about booking Cook on CNN and other news outlets to defend Apple's stance.

Reactions: Jax44 and Ghost31

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Americans are watched everyday already. In public. On the roads. In buildings, restaurants, banks, shops, etc. Police cars have license plate scanners that records every cars license plate it sees and where it sees it. Pretty scary database, there, huh?

Personally, I don't have anything on my iPhone I don't want the government to see (or that they can't already see). I'm one of billions of people and I'm sure they have better things to do than look at my pictures and texts. If people have something to hide, there is usually a reason.
Just because I have nothing to hide doesn't mean I appreciate people poking their noses into my affairs. There are no sensitive photos on my iPhone that I have qualms about sharing online, but that doesn't mean I will allow anyone to just take my phone like that and upload my entire photo library to Facebook.

Simply put, I don't have to, so why should I?

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

Hey, you stole my avatar! ;)

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
I will gladly look over any sources you may have to the contrary. (I'm going to guess you don't have any)

No you're right, the Russian authorities would allow him to live in their court while working to undermine Russian and Anerican Internet security.

Could you please link to which "internet security" firm he is working at?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Not to sound harsh, but if 1000 people were killed by this guy, I would STILL want Apple NOT to comply. You can't take rights away from billions, even at the expense of 1000. The loss of any life is something that anyone with a conscious doesn't wish to endure. However, giving the government complete access to our private lives is simply out of the question for me. North Korea, yes. United States of America? Hell no!!!

Remember, once you lose a freedom, it's never coming back. When people tell you loss of liberty will lead to a better and safer life, make a run for the border as fast as you can!

EDIT: Before anyone complains about my use of "billions." I know there are not billions of people in the US. But this could affect everyone on the planet who has any type of device, not just Apple. Where would it end?
Honestly, it's a hard issue because both sides are actually kinda right. Apple wants privacy and values that while the FBI is concerned with getting into a terrorists' phone to hopefully find out how to save more people. I don't think anyone's intentions on this are wrong...I wish there was a way to make it so we could open phones on a phone per phone basis, but if you create a way for one, you create a way for all. It's an all or nothing proposition so we really have to decide what's more important here and what we value. Because we can't just think in the short term about this terrorist attack. We also have to think about what Edward Snowden warned the world about and the government abuses. The government isn't really good or bad. They're just people. And to trust people with that kind of power....no

Freeks

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I'm very happy to read this. BUT let's remember this is also marketing. Tim Cook knows that they can be forced to do it, but he can still say he was opposing it. Not single big company/organization want and will use phone that has known backdoor.

It WILL be used to steal corporate secrets.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
This is a battle they will lose, proving someone committed a crime is more important.

That concept is not true. The way our laws and our prosecution of criminals was setup in the country, it is better for 100 guilty people to go free than to have one innocent person prosecuted. It is not and has not been the opinion that proving someone committed a crime trumps all.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Data encryption is always a better idea, for not only a few, but everyone.

Hey, I have lost my precious iPhone 6 Plus. It is stolen. But I don't care about data leak, why? Data encryption and a complex unlock passcode. They can sell my device to anyone, fine. I will try finding it back, or die trying. But I can just earn more money, go to an Apple Store, buy a latest iPhone, restore backup, and done. I lose nothing, even credit card info. That is just so easy. I believe smartphone being stolen is way more common than someone is shot by a bad guy. And what if our smartphone cannot help us protecting data?

Owning and using an iPhone makes life easier so far. One reason is I believe my data cannot be accessed by thieves or robbers. So what if backdoor is available? No one can guarantee they are safely stored in a secret place, unaccessible to anyone else.

Now I need to use an Android device with a ROM modified by a Chinese company, before I have enough money to buy a new iPhone. I have no way to know if my data, any of them, has been uploaded to government server. I have no means to even guess what they would do using those data. I don't mean I can ignore such possibility while using an iPhone. Cracking criminal offence may only become a little bit harder, nothing more.

By the way, why FBI don't use unconventional method to force him/her leaking information they actually need? I think few would disagree with such action on a man found guilty. And police should have more ways to prove he/she acts against law, rather than sticking on a potentially useless iPhone 5c.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.