Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moo083

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I generally agree that the frustration over Maps is overhyped. I have used turn by turn way more with this than I ever did with Navigon. The reason? Siri. Totally works.

My only complaint? I listen to audiobooks and I want Siri to pause my audiobook rather than talk over my book.

Popinbottles

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Very relevant to, err, nothing at all because it's a $500+ product being sold in 2012 with clear deficiencies as compared with the 2012 version of Google Maps being shipped as we speak on millions of devices.

Sounds like you have made your choice. You should go get an Android phone.:)

slineaudi

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
I think this was a really silly thing for Tim to write. Apple owes no one an explanation for this. Maps is better than it was and will continue to get better. The navigation interface is amazingly well integrated into the rest of the phone. We've all know this change was happening for months. Best of all, you can always use a third party app if you don't like what apple has done.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
He would have written a note no more than a sentence long and make everybody feel happy and Apple stuck would skyrocket... but that was Steve.

Steve wouldn't have written an open letter, he would've just given a terse response via email:

So don't travel then.
-Steve

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Do you understand that the real objection is that Apple wants your location data vs giving it to Google. Which is their right. But let's not make Apple out to be any less wanting of your info/privacy.

Yes, and i also understand why both companies want that data. Google sees me as a product, Apple does not (yet). Should Apple ever forget themselves and become to greedy, I'll move right along. But currently Apple don't sticks ads on everything I do, they allow me to opt out of any tracking I don't want to be a part of, and make doing so *easy*.

Google values customer privacy too.

Of course they do. That data is their cash cow, they aren't going to give it away freely. Are you seriously equating the data that Apple collects with the range and depth of data that Google collects?

At this time Apple is not interested (and does not appear to even have the nous) to guess what I eat for breakfast. Google could probably give a damn good run at estimating my future health based on my current diet. There's the difference.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I wish Steve was still here. Hey, didn't he have a son?

This is getting old. Steve allowed the release of the iPhone 4 with the antenna gate and Steve allowed the release of mobile me. He also allowed the release of many flawed products and various broken OS releases. It's time to move on now.

Steve Jobs was a brilliant, yet flawed, genius. He wasn't perfect. No person is. How would Steve have handled this? Probably in a similar fashion to the antenna problem... "You're holding it wrong". And then a couple of weeks later Apple had to admit that it was a problem with an official statement and give out free covers. That did not make Apple look like a professional company.

Tim Cook has my utmost respect for releasing this statement instead of arguing with users over email or keeping quiet and pretending the problem does not exist. Having said that, I think the problem has been blown way out of proportion.

It's time to grow up, remove those rose-tinted glasses and move on. Trying to pretend to know what Mr Jobs would have done in this situation is pointless and disrespectful.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp

I totally agree.it's true down here in Brazil as well (at least for the whereabouts I usually traverse, in the São Paulo/Campinas/Sorocaba region. I've been using it for the past week, and haven't experienced anything remotely as bad as has been reported.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Oh Tim, open letters are great but naming the competition is a no no mate. Old Stevie would have erred on the side of caution.

Things like that don't matter as much when you have a $117bn cash reserve.

chrisd1974

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
London, UK
I'm in London and it's fine. Try again, troll.

If London is fine could you check something for me. Is the naming of Blackfriars and Southwark underground stations consistently applied? Do the names and positions of the labels at Waterloo station make any sense to you? Can you find any details about bus stops? Is there a petrol station on the eastern side of Kennington Lane? (it doesn't exist) Are the roads correctly coloured and are the aerial photos as new as a side by side comparison with Google maps? Is street view working?

If I'm wrong on the above I'll stand corrected!

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Not to sound like an (a), but I honestly don't think Steve would have allowed Maps to be released in its current form. Steve would have never apologized like Tim. That's one way you can tell those two apart.

So that's why MobileMe wasn't a complete disaster at launch, right? Everything was perfect under Steve.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp

One would expect them to be up to par in the nation's capital and its suburbia. The real test comes when I test them in rural western MD, for which Google has been less than impressive for me over the years.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Keep rolling those eyes. He was previously at Compaq. That's right the people with the GUI that looked like a Filofax drawn in primary colors. I guess that wasn't his fault either.

#1 - he's been at apple since 1998.

#2 - Compaq was PHENOMENALLY successful for the things that Cook had any influence over.

So, uh, what's your point?

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
At least they apologize and not hiding behind anything. Yes, they messed up. Yes, a company like Apple should have done it better but at least we know that they will do everything to make it right.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
If London is fine could you check something for me. Is the naming of Blackfriars and Southwark underground stations consistently applied? Do the names and positions of the labels at Waterloo station make any sense to you? Can you find any details about bus stops? Is there a petrol station on the eastern side of Kennington Lane? (it doesn't exist) Are the roads correctly coloured and are the aerial photos as new as a side by side comparison with Google maps? Is street view working?

If I'm wrong on the above I'll stand corrected!

Are you serious? You're a troll. It's known that there are no public transit or street view.

maustin1979

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Brighton
Can everybody maybe **** off???

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple CEO Tim Cook has published an open letter to customers on the company's website addressing the criticism over the new Apple-powered Maps app in iOS 6. In the letter, Cook apologizes for not meeting expectations and mentions a number of alternative mapping solutions customers may wish to use while Apple is refining its Maps.

Article Link: Tim Cook Publishes Open Letter on Maps for iOS 6

Personally I haven't found any issue using Apple Maps in iOS6... I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is a fledgling app that has further development requirements before it is perfect - so like any other app out there then as none of them are perfect. The 3d element is really good (even though they haven't gotten around to mapping the town i live in yet) and the satellite pictures need to be taken on a day that you can actually see through the clouds, but again, this will come in time, and probably not too much of it either. I'd rather have this app than the risk of having a ton of personal data sent to google (and wherever else) just so the internet can pretend to know me and keep trying to sell me ***** i don't want.....

Really can't see why so many are making such a big deal about this, get a ****ing life!!!

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Keep rolling those eyes. He was previously at Compaq. That's right the people with the GUI that looked like a Filofax drawn in primary colors. I guess that wasn't his fault either.

OK, you iz trollin. I wasn't sure[1].

[1] Actually I'm still not 100%, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
So that's why MobileMe wasn't a complete disaster at launch, right? Everything was perfect under Steve.
I never once said Steve was perfect. We all know Steve was arrogant and aggressive. Tim comes off the complete opposite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.