Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceMan30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Not sure what or how..but my Time Machine sparse disk files seem to have the dates corrupted, or something similar. Is there a way to manually change these? Or am I stuck having to start my backups from scratch, and hope for the best?

Attachments

• A7A34F8B-B210-43B6-AF59-C5570D6890E3.jpeg
    A7A34F8B-B210-43B6-AF59-C5570D6890E3.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 218

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Those are some odd timestamps and I wonder how that happened. Looks like the filesystem is mounted over the network?

There is a way to change the timestamps with Terminal commands (can't remember how ATM), but why bother? A sparse bundle is really just a directory in the unix-like filesystem that Finder treats as a special package (similar to an app). I think the odd timestamps in your image are the create and modify times on the sparse bundle directory.

I would consider two options:
1.) do my best to determine if it's working ok (do some restores to a spare drive or something), and leave the timestamps alone, or
2.) delete it and start a fresh TM backup, just to eliminate possible problems should you need to do a full restore.

I really doubt the timestamps on the top-level directory (the sparse bundle) are used for anything in Time Machine. But one never knows for sure, thus choice 2!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Not sure what or how..but my Time Machine sparse disk files seem to have the dates corrupted, or something similar. Is there a way to manually change these? Or am I stuck having to start my backups from scratch, and hope for the best?

Mount the sparsebundle and see what the date/times are inside the sparsebundle. In order to mount it you will need to make sure it has the extension .sparsebundle. If you do add the extension make sure to remove after you are done with it.

You can correct the date/time of the sparsebundle by looking at the link below.

Reactions: Brian33

IceMan30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Post-backup adventure follow-up...

In the original post I forgot to mention a key part of this. For some reason I have not been able to perform a full backup in a month, nor could Time Machine actually access my backups (I presumed it was related to the errant dates). TM could see the individual backups by date, but no data/files could be gotten from them.

After some tinkering, I was able to reset the image bundle modified date to day or so after my last saved backup (using touch); and I was able to reset the created date to a couple days just before my first saved backup (using SetFile). After that TM could see into the past properly. I'm in the middle of backing up, but I think that will be fine.

Thank you all. :)

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.