Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rycerzyyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Hello,

I have a problem with touch bar on my macbook pro 13 (2016). For last few days it was completly unresponsive. Everything seems to work ok, icons on the touchbar change when opening different apps but when i try to clik it is not reacting at any place on the touch screen.

What I did:

1. fresh install newest macOS high sierra

2. nvram reset

3. smc reset

4. force quit of touch bar service and control strip

Nothing helped. Any ideas?

rycerzyyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
not really, wanted to try fix it first as it looks as a software problem. We don't have apple stores in my country and it will take a long time to fix it (and thats my work device).

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Judging by what you've already done it sounds like a hardware problem, although that's assuming you did a complete fresh install without installing any other software and it still misbehaved. What country are you in?

Reactions: green86

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
not really, wanted to try fix it first as it looks as a software problem. We don't have apple stores in my country and it will take a long time to fix it (and thats my work device).
Is the bug on high sierra. This OS X is very buggy and definitely is software. Just wipe the drive again and reinstall high sierra or just downgrade back to Sierra to check weather it gone away before travel to Apple store which they likely do the same.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This OS X is very buggy and definitely is software.
I'm not so sure that its that buggy, or least to the extent that is preventing the Touch Bar from working. In fact if it was an OS bug, wouldn't we see more TB owners asking for help?

Just wipe the drive again and reinstall high sierra
That's not going to solve it. How will reinstalling macOS a second time produce different results? The OP did a clean install and that did not solve the issue.

I recommend @New_Mac_Smell posted, the OP needs to call Apple on this. I don't believe its a software issue, not when when the OP tried all the normal steps that are typically mentioned.

Reactions: green86

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
I'm not so sure that its that buggy, or least to the extent that is preventing the Touch Bar from working. In fact if it was an OS bug, wouldn't we see more TB owners asking for help?

That's not going to solve it. How will reinstalling macOS a second time produce different results? The OP did a clean install and that did not solve the issue.

I recommend @New_Mac_Smell posted, the OP needs to call Apple on this. I don't believe its a software issue, not when when the OP tried all the normal steps that are typically mentioned.

You should read the whole forum of macOS high sierra about people compliant everything from touch bar to sleep wake issues and etc. Fresh install doesn’t guaranteed it will be no bug, but second try fresh install will have second chance. Btw if me I will make a try. If you have made a firmware fresh reinstall on iPhone you will believe how buggy is Apple even fresh install never guaranteed no buggy. Had to try few time to get perfect. Good luck

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You should read the whole forum of macOS high sierra about people compliant everything from touch bar to sleep wake issues
I found three threads that had touch bar in the title, I don't think the forum is filled with people complaining about the touch bar not working as the OP stated. I think its in the OP's best interest to call apple and have some diagnostics run on the laptop

Fresh install doesn’t guaranteed it will be no bug, but second try fresh install will have second chance.
That makes no sense, if a fresh install didn't work, reformatting and re-installing a second time will install the same exact OS and it will behave the same exact way.. The end result is the same OS is being installed on a clean drive and if it didn't work the first time it won't work the second time.

Reactions: jerryk

alinama

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2019
Hello,

I have a problem with touch bar on my macbook pro 13 (2016). For last few days it was completly unresponsive. Everything seems to work ok, icons on the touchbar change when opening different apps but when i try to clik it is not reacting at any place on the touch screen.

What I did:

1. fresh install newest macOS high sierra

2. nvram reset

3. smc reset

4. force quit of touch bar service and control strip

Nothing helped. Any ideas?
Hello! Have you resolved your problem with Touch Bar? I have exactly the same. Please send me email - amajorova21@gmail.com

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
this happened to me the other day too. I force quit the Touch Bar process in activity monitor, and it helped for a few minutes before the problem resurfaced. I did a full restart and fortunately that seemed to fix it for me.

but its getting frustrating how unstable this laptop is compared to every previous Mac I've owned. the entire system freezes for 10-20s quite frequently.

alinama

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2019
this happened to me the other day too. I force quit the Touch Bar process in activity monitor, and it helped for a few minutes before the problem resurfaced. I did a full restart and fortunately that seemed to fix it for me.

but its getting frustrating how unstable this laptop is compared to every previous Mac I've owned. the entire system freezes for 10-20s quite frequently.

Hello!
Thanks for response. What you mean Full restart?
And I have searched in Activity Monitor - this Touch Bar , and I didn’t see it ...

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
I think apple broke my Touch Bar. I went in to repair my screen because it had a dead pixel, and now my Touch Bar is not working. The icons change, but don't respond to touch

spartan0710

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2019
I'm having a similar problem....The touch bar changes perfectly accordingly with the app but doesnt respond to touch...However this behaviour is not permanent...Sometimes after a boot it works perfectly and after a while it dies out..I haven't still figured out what might be causing this problem.... And also once my touch bar completely went blank...Both TouchBarServer and ControlStrip processes werent running in the activity monitor...Plz if anyone has found out a solution to this..

courboy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
I'm also having exactly these issues too; did anybody find a solution?

The bar updates when i change programmes, etc, but is rarely responsive to touch, and often crashes. It's doing my head in!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.