Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennyjennydz

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
Dippo said:
I stand corrected :)

It's OK. In my lifetime, I predict all Americans will have GPS tracking devices implanted in them by law. You heard it here first. Write it down.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
jennyjennydz said:
It's OK. In my lifetime, I predict all Americans will have GPS tracking devices implanted in them by law. You heard it here first. Write it down.

A couple of months into my current job, our bosses took us out to lunch as a group. We got on the subject of child abductions, and both of my bosses raved about how we need this type of homing beacon implanted. Their rationale, honorable: if a child is abducted, they can be located immidiately. The truth, not so much-- First off, they'd find ways around this (as some criminals have done with GPS packs)(probably surgical), and secondly, it's giving the government an absolute power, and you know what they say about absolute power... we'd be in a facist police state before you could break wind.

so i agree, and am quite terrified of the prospect...

paul

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Just one comment re: "why would anyone destroy money..."

A scorch mark would not render the currency invalid, I believe. Even with quite a bit of damage or even missing pieces, it still is legal tender, so even if the microwave thing did scorch (haha) the bills, you could still use the money. Maybe someone could look up how much damage is still ok.

And if you really want to burn money completely, well, that's illegal. But if it gives you a thrill, well I have spent more throwing a ball at a carnival for a stuffed animal =\, for probably much less thrill.

______

re: conspiracy theories & gps.. hm... now i'm thinking mass smallpox innoculations "for public safety" (a long time x-files like topic)... hm... well I have one already so there.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Put this to rest once and for all:

Someone with a metal detector, scan a new 20. If it goes off, there's an RFID chip... If not, no chip. I think that would work, anyway...

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
hotwire132002 said:
Put this to rest once and for all:

Someone with a metal detector, scan a new 20. If it goes off, there's an RFID chip... If not, no chip. I think that would work, anyway...

I already microwaved some new $20s and they didn't burn up...

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Just a note: GPS devices dont work if there is no direct link between the sky and the receiver.

Proof: you cannot use satelite navigation in cities with tall building if there is no satelite directly over it, it doesnt work underground and with hand held GPS, even tree can block the signal.

This is why the tracking of stolen car with GPS based system doesnt work while system that use cellular phone triangulation (sp?) can work everywhere.

Unless there has been major change in the technology in the past 2 years, I am right...

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
2jaded2care said:
If anyone's really worried about this, they can just send their twenties to me! :D

I am worried about the government tracking me down so I need to unload all my cash...

What's you address so I send you the cash?

Better yet you can send me your bank account number and SSN and I will wire you the cash :D

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Plea: Not guilty of Laundering burnt Bills

Honest John said:
Honest Judge, I wasn't laundering no money. Those 20s just caught fire by a accident. I was trying to put the fire out, that's all.
And the smell proves it, too! I didn't have no other source of water with me...
I keeps my money in the microwave cuz I don't trust no banks. Nobody looks in there at my office, cuz nobody knows how to cook, not even my secretary.
Who knew that would happen when I was nukin' a Lasagna TV dinner...just cause I left my stash of cash in there don't mean nuttin'.

Attachments

• rope.gif
    rope.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 325

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Even if there is an RFID chip, it shouldn't matter to you unless you are counterfeiting $20 bills. Legitimate US paper money DOES have clearly visible unique serial numbers, afterall.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
RFID Chip shouldn't matter UNLESS counterfeiting? TRACKING--Big Brother's watching!!

JeffTL said:
Even if there is an RFID chip, it shouldn't matter to you unless you are counterfeiting $20 bills. Legitimate US paper money DOES have clearly visible unique serial numbers, afterall.
The lack of an RFID chip is a benifit with regards to preventing Governmental TRACKING, it has nothing to do with counterfeiting. Are you not familiar with "1984", and we're not talking about Apple Macintosh here. Big Brother IS watching, especially since 9/11. Have you been to Washington DC lately, seen the black Government Chevy SUBURBANS and Black Boxes along the roadways? Our Capital is a city in siege. Our government wants to keep track of the movement of people, data/information, MONEY, weapons, munitions and explosives.
• Metal detectors sense weapons on people
• Cameras can visually identify people
• Computer records match people - IDs, credit card records, and names on government data bases (Homeland Security, CIA, FBI, INS and NSA)
• Black boxes are designed to sniff out explosives and some munitions, and to sense RFIDs in our MONEY - especially when large quantities are present.
• Black boxes are now in government hands that sense keystrokes and movements on your USB tethered Mouse or Keyboard, it's easier with wireless (thank Apple and Bluetooth for that), and reportedly what your monitor is displaying, all from the curb sitting in the "public right-of-way" and not physically entering your house.
• Government computers (CIA, NSA, & FBI) monitor the flow of information, communications and data. Emails, money transfers, websites, memory backups, flow of data from point to point. Nothing is safe, secure or sacred.

You think RFID in money is there to identify counterfeit. No, it's there to identify CASH bills of legitimate money -- If the Government is interested in YOU, they may want to know - What's in your wallet, your suitcase, your car or home?
If you do not deal in CASH, then the Government already knows or has access to your credit record (tied into security for air transportation) your driver's license and ID, and most importantly of all, your financial accounts under your name or SSN and your credit cards.

Having or paying for things using CASH used to afford a considerable degree of privacy. How about now?
Are you feeling violated yet? Paranoid? Feeling naive?
Think you have a "right to privacy"? Check out the Constitution and Bill of Rights, there is no fundamental "right to privacy" that protects us from governmental inquiry or invasion of privacy.
Now that's a bitter, virtual reality.
Not worried because you are honest? Think again, hard! Our Federal Government cannot and does not assume that anyone is honest or innocent... and that includes YOU and me.

True, jeffTL, "it shouldn't matter" to the Secret Service unless you are counterfeiting paper money (don't try using Adobe's Photoshop to help print counterfeit bills, there's code inside now to prevent it, at Government request no less) or conspiring to assassinate the president.
It's the other agencies you have to sweat (To excrete sensible moisture from the pores of the skin; to perspire.).
It does matter to them...and it should matter to US as a matter of principle and fundamental human civil rights.

Have a nice day :)

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Like I said, even if there WERE an RFID chip in the $20, it wouldn't matter, because bills have had serial numbers for years. Ever heard of Where's George? It's insanely easy to track money by serial number, so all an RFID chip can add is another layer of anti-counterfeiting protection.

MacRAND said:
The lack of an RFID chip is a benifit with regards to preventing Governmental TRACKING, it has nothing to do with counterfeiting. Are you not familiar with "1984", and we're not talking about Apple Macintosh here. Big Brother IS watching, especially since 9/11. Have you been to Washington DC lately, seen the black Government Chevy SUBURBANS and Black Boxes along the roadways? Our Capital is a city in siege. Our government wants to keep track of the movement of people, data/information, MONEY, weapons, munitions and explosives.
• Metal detectors sense weapons on people
• Cameras can visually identify people
• Computer records match people - IDs, credit card records, and names on government data bases (Homeland Security, CIA, FBI, INS and NSA)
• Black boxes are designed to sniff out explosives and some munitions, and to sense RFIDs in our MONEY - especially when large quantities are present.
• Black boxes are now in government hands that sense keystrokes and movements on your USB tethered Mouse or Keyboard, it's easier with wireless (thank Apple and Bluetooth for that), and reportedly what your monitor is displaying, all from the curb sitting in the "public right-of-way" and not physically entering your house.
• Government computers (CIA, NSA, & FBI) monitor the flow of information, communications and data. Emails, money transfers, websites, memory backups, flow of data from point to point. Nothing is safe, secure or sacred.

You think RFID in money is there to identify counterfeit. No, it's there to identify CASH bills of legitimate money -- If the Government is interested in YOU, they may want to know - What's in your wallet, your suitcase, your car or home?
If you do not deal in CASH, then the Government already knows or has access to your credit record (tied into security for air transportation) your driver's license and ID, and most importantly of all, your financial accounts under your name or SSN and your credit cards.

Having or paying for things using CASH used to afford a considerable degree of privacy. How about now?
Are you feeling violated yet? Paranoid? Feeling naive?
Think you have a "right to privacy"? Check out the Constitution and Bill of Rights, there is no fundamental "right to privacy" that protects us from governmental inquiry or invasion of privacy.
Now that's a bitter, virtual reality.
Not worried because you are honest? Think again, hard! Our Federal Government cannot and does not assume that anyone is honest or innocent... and that includes YOU and me.

True, jeffTL, "it shouldn't matter" to the Secret Service unless you are counterfeiting paper money (don't try using Adobe's Photoshop to help print counterfeit bills, there's code inside now to prevent it, at Government request no less) or conspiring to assassinate the president.
It's the other agencies you have to sweat (To excrete sensible moisture from the pores of the skin; to perspire.).
It does matter to them...and it should matter to US as a matter of principle and fundamental human civil rights.

Have a nice day :)

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
MONEY - Sight unseen, amount sensed anyway.

JeffTL said:
Like I said, even if there WERE an RFID chip in the $20, it wouldn't matter, because bills have had serial numbers for years. Ever heard of Where's George? It's insanely easy to track money by serial number, so all an RFID chip can add is another layer of anti-counterfeiting protection.
You really miss the point, Jeff.

To read a Serial Number, someone has to have possession of the bill and look at it. This is the classic "let's see if your money is any good" at Taco Bell or McDonald's transaction. But the serial number is really no good there, right? Only one bill.

With the RFID chip, all your money can be "read" without your knowledge, and without your permission while it is in your wallet, pocket, moneybelt, wife's purse, suitcase, home, office... Do you like that?

The thread is about real money, not counterfeit, and whether the RFID chip can be destroyed by micro-waving bills.
That does not convert Mint printed bills into counterfeit (after all, the serial numbers are still there, right?) but it may remove a detection device by destroying the RFID chip.

To put it another way, if
1. "bills have had serial numbers for years" and
2. "if there WERE an RFID chip in the $20, it wouldn't matter?
3. then, considering all the other built-in safeguards with ink and paper and holograms,
what do you suppose is the real reason our Federal Government had in adding an RFID chip if not to be able to count bills in a container
A. without opening it,
B. without any detection by or
C. without any disclosure to the owner
that his/her money is being counted?

If you continue to be hung up on serial numbers on real bills, or whatever on counterfeit bills, you've missed the point. Get it?

And if you think smugglers or drug traffickers care, forget it. Diamonds are just as fungible* and easier to hide, are generally undetectable, and easy to retrieve. And most are expert (they can afford to hire and pay the best experts) in wire transfers that do not involve paper money anyway. So what it boils down to, is the poor slobs of this world (me! you?) have our civil rights trashed as an excuse for our government to go after people who are going to avoid detection in anyway.

Or, maybe the Feds really are after that suitcase containing $100,000 in hundreds or twenties conducted at the local street corner Starbucks over a cup of Java while wirelessly connected to the internet with a 12" PowerBook checking the latest MacRumors.

fungible*
adj : of goods or commodities; freely exchangeable for or
replaceable by another of like nature or kind in the
satisfaction of an obligation
n : a commodity that is freely interchangeable with another in
satisfying an obligation

Attachments

• money in hand 10.gif
    money in hand 10.gif
    36.7 KB · Views: 95

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
MacRAND said:
With the RFID chip, all your money can be "read" without your knowledge, and without your permission while it is in your wallet, pocket, moneybelt, wife's purse, suitcase, home, office... Do you like that?

That would great...you could walk down the street with a little device that scans how much money each person has in their wallet. Then when you find someone who is carrying around a lot of cash, you can rob them

I guess I can thank the government for making my job so much easier :)

Dippo said:
That would great...you could walk down the street with a little device that scans how much money each person has in their wallet. Then when you find someone who is carrying around a lot of cash, you can rob them

Nah, too complicated. Just look for the white earbuds and rob that guy!

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Dippo said:

Yes, but only after the IRS takes their share. Stand in line. :p

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Hands up!

TimDaddy said:
Nah, too complicated.
Just look for the white earbuds and rob that guy!
Could be a foolish move.

Hey, the Dude's listening to tunes on an iPod with them white Ear Buds, and
1. He probably wouldn't be able to hear you and he'd be a lousy uncooperative victim
2. He spent all of his money on his iPod and buying iTunes online, so he ain't got Jack...
3. It might be Al Gore on his way to an Apple Board meeting, and all his wife will let him have is cab fare and lunch money, he'll give you the pod but his name is engraved on it "From Steve, to my pal Al", or
4. The guy stole somebody else's iPod and he's lookin' for a buyer so he can sell the thing 'cause he's out of cash himself. Wait 'til he finds out you ain't buyin', he'll get so pizzed he might ding you himself.

Better get Dippo to loan you his Money Detector so you can do it right.
Or, you and Dippo could work together and just split the loot.
Be sure to leave JeffTL alone cause he's got the Serial Numbers of all his bills recorded neatly in a FileMaker Pro 6 DATA BASE on his PowerBook, and since it's so easy to trace money when you have the serial numbers, you guys are really in trouble if you mess with him.

Me? I'm a Scot, never carry much cash (no matter how much allowance me wife gives me that day) I got nothing on me.
Here's my wallet, be sure to use those credit cards cause their all nearly maxed out and I'll swear that you stole 'em all a month ago. You guys are the ones who bought all that Mac computer stuff, not me.

So, Mr. VISA, Dippo & TimDaddy done it, not me. See, they're thieves - they got that there Money Detector, and they don't even work for the IRS nor any other federal agency neither.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Doubt it.

evolu said:

Let's see.. about the "uniform burns".. You know, if one of them had a piece of metal flake attached and they were all folded together in the same wallet or stacked neatly when microwaved, I can guarantee the patterns woudl happen to look uniform.

Does anyone actually think the Fed stupid enough to put RFID tags all in the same exact noticeable location?

The fake clincher is (as a previous post said).. it fails to reason that the burns are on both new and old $20.. since the article makes no claim about old bills already having tags, the credibility lacks.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
MacRAND said:
blah blah blah
As previously noted, these would have to be passive tags, so they can't be read at a distance, it has to be up close. Unless they start having replaceable batteries on $20 bills, then we should start getting suspicious. And I really doubt that the Feds have devices that can read interference coming off of a USB or VGA/DVI/ADC cable. And wireless? Maybe if Bluetooth could make it all the way inside my house, I'd be worried, but it can't even go through to walls to the bathhroom 10 feet away from me. I don't think the Feds would be able to sniff it out 70 or so feet away on the street, and even the, I doubt that they would care what song I was listening to, or if I was controlling DVD Player, VLC, Keynote, or PowerPoint with my T68i.

And I thought I was paranoid. I guess that's only while driving...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.