Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muzicman82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice from some of you. I do not have an iPhone but generally know my way around iOS. I'm an AV engineer and we've deployed a system were public users use an app to connect with a WiFi based system.

• First of all, it seems to me that iOS devices HATE connecting to WiFi networks that do not have Internet access. Several users have phones that keep reverting to a public WiFi signal that has Internet, even though it is a weaker signal. Is there a way to disable this? The network they have to connect to for this service does not have Internet, can't have Internet, and never will have Internet. I know you can tell a device to "forget network", but is that it?
  • Can someone recommend a free (and hopefully ad-free), simple, and clean app that can kill background processes or open apps so that an iPhone's memory is as clear as possible before starting the app we're using? On Android, Clean Master is a great one.
  • Also, what iPhone models have FM tuners built in? Do you need a 3rd party app or is there one in iOS?
Thanks all.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
1.iOS 9 introduced a new feature called “WiFi Assist, that reverts back to the mobile network when the Wifi is poor.

2.Killed background apps, and freeing up memory is completely unnecessary in iOS.

3.FM tuners are not in any iPhone models, and I can say with certainty, they never will be.

If you really are an AV Engineer working on an “App to connect with a WiFi based System”, you should read up on iOS and truly understand how it works, because currently you seem way off the mark.

And as a company you should pick technology that is in it’s infancy, and support that. Forget about trying to support FM tuners, it’s a waste of yours and your company’s energy.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
1.iOS 9 introduced a new feature called “WiFi Assist, that reverts back to the mobile network when the Wifi is poor.

2.Killed background apps, and freeing up memory is completely unnecessary in iOS.

3.FM tuners are not in any iPhone models, and I can say with certainty, they never will be.

If you really are an AV Engineer working on an “App to connect with a WiFi based System”, you should read up on iOS and truly understand how it works, because currently you seem way off the mark.

And as a company you should pick technology that is in it’s infancy, and support that. Forget about trying to support FM tuners, it’s a waste of yours and your company’s energy.

Some iPhones had the hardware for an FM Tuner I believe but it was never used.

muzicman82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015

I appreciate your reply, but trust me when I say that I'm not "off the mark". I've been doing pro-AV for over 15 years. I primarily do installation and Crestron programming work, but my background is in sound reinforcement audio systems and FOH engineering. I'm not sure where one would "read up" on iOS other than looking at Apple show off product pages. Is there actually an iOS manual? Or the basic step-by-step knowledge-base or ask Siri for help when you already have an iDevice?

The system I am talking about is made by Sennheiser called ConnectStation / MobileConnect. I didn't sell it, and probably wouldn't sell it, but I became responsible for installing it. It's a low-latency live audio streaming device, putting four discrete channels of live audio on a iOS/Android device via an app. Sennheiser generally makes very good products but this device isn't ready for primetime. They don't even have English documentation ready, and the mobile app versions are 0.8.0 Beta. But somehow, it is being sold.. and it is over $7,000 for the system.

The device acts as a managed AP controller (using Rukus APs). It is specifically designed to NOT have Internet on the same network. It's not my choice, it's the product design, as flawed as it may be.

The intent of my post is to gather some info on how to help troubleshoot connectivity issues with a room full of 30+ iDevices (and Android). Out of over 15 iOS devices, there will be 3 or 4 that will constantly disconnect from the private (no-Internet) network or have crappy WiFi (cut outs, choppy audio, etc). If all iDevices are created equal, performance should be consistent across them all, especially given that they are all in the same spot and not moving around. Do iOS apps not attempt to connect to the Internet in the background? I definitely imagine that an iPhone with 30 games installed will have more background activity trying to hit the Internet than an iPhone with 2 games installed.

THIS post suggests that every iPhone and smartphone currently in existence has an FM tuner built in but Apple has them under lock and key, which is why I asked.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
That's the marketing line, but i have found that if you leave (for example) Facebook open it chews a lot of battery in the background. Closing it reduces battery usage.
Thats because Facebook is an app which abuses the Voip string to keep itself going. No reason for it other than the fact the Facebook app collects a lot of info about your habits. Ive removed it this week as it just killed my battery, even if you killed it I was getting 6+ hours of background activity.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Thats because Facebook is an app which abuses the Voip string to keep itself going. No reason for it other than the fact the Facebook app collects a lot of info about your habits. Ive removed it this week as it just killed my battery, even if you killed it I was getting 6+ hours of background activity.

The why of it doesn't really matter, from a pragmatic standpoint, the question is whether or not closing applications is pointless.

And it's not, it can help.

muzicman82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
The why of it doesn't really matter, from a pragmatic standpoint, the question is whether or not closing applications is pointless.

And it's not, it can help.

I had an iPad for about 6 months before I decided I didn't need it. It was iOS 6 or 7 at the time, and I did find that having background apps closed helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.