Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photosapiens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
Hi all,

I just ordered a Studio Display & Mac Studio and I have a question about connecting two computers to one Studio Display. I have my work laptop (Dell Latitude 5420) and I want to connect both of my work computer and Mac Studio, and switch between those two. (not by unplugging / plugging)

This can be easily done with my current Dell monitor which has two inputs. But it seems the Studio Display has only one input and I'm trying to figure out how. I use bluetooth mouse / keyboard which can be connected to multiple computers so I won't need full KVM feature. I just need to switch monitor inputs.

If anyone has a solution or know of good switchers, please share. Thanks!

Reactions: forrestwhite

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I have the same question. I work from home MOST of the time so I'd like to use my studio display to extend my work laptop screen, but easily be able to switch over to my mac studio when required. Then in the evenings only the mac studio would be used. So far the only way I can see is to grab that cable and yank it out of one and into the other. Something that won't be great for the connectors over time. My only other option is to get something like an LG Ultrawide and split the screen between the two devices. Much more practical and straightforward but apparently the lower resolution looks poor compared to the 5K screens we are used to.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The Studio Display does not have a(n) HDMI input.
Oh my, yes. I forgot. Sorry everyone. I think a switch of some sort is the only solution, though. So a USB-C DisplayPort switch would be the only solution. I am not aware of the existence of anything like that.

A good solution would be to keep the Mac Studio connected to the display, and operate the Dell Laptop from the Mac using screen sharing like VNC. The VNC app can run full screen on the Mac and switching from Mac to PC would be as easy as swiping between spaces.

photosapiens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
Thanks for inputs guys. It seems Thunderbolt 3 switch does not exist yet. I'm wondering if this switch would work. According to their description, it supports up to 8k 30Hz and 10Gbps data transfer (vs thunderbolt 3 is up to 40Gbps).

Or this DP switch (supports up to 8k 30Hz and 32.4Gbps) from the same company and 3 x decent DP to USB-C adapter might work.

I don't really care about the extended screen resolution of my work laptop but I want to use the full 5k resolution when I switched to Mac Studio.

photosapiens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
A good solution would be to keep the Mac Studio connected to the display, and operate the Dell Laptop from the Mac using screen sharing like VNC. The VNC app can run full screen on the Mac and switching from Mac to PC would be as easy as swiping between spaces.
Unfortunately many people including me will not want to install 3rd part apps on their work laptop for security reasons.

For people who can RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) into their laptop can leave Mac Studio connected to the screen but that's not the case for me. RDC is blocked in my work laptop. ?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I suspect the DisplayPort switch to which you linked will work, but not at full resolution.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I don't really care about the extended screen resolution of my work laptop but I want to use the full 5k resolution when I switched to Mac Studio.
And this is where things will fall apart if the Studio Display requires two DisplayPort signals encapsulated in a Thunderbolt 3 stream for 5K 60Hz 10bpc RGB, each driving one half of the screen at 2560×2880 (like the LG UltraFine 5K does). If this is the case, it doesn't matter if the switch supports "8K" or whatever.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
My work laptop (via DisplayPort) and MBP (via TB3 Dock) are both connected to my LG 34 inch 5K2K. There's a joystick under the screen that allows me to switch between the two machines. I'd like to order the Studio Display and use that for additional screen space (next to the 34 inch 5K2K) only for my MBP. I don't think my TB3 dock will support both monitors at full resolution so I need to figure something out.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think it's currently feasible without plugging and unplugging. May I ask why this approach doesn't work for you?

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Based on my limited research and general technical know how, I think that for a multi computer use; you are better off with other monitors than the Studio.

Many Dell moniotrs for example, come with a built in KVM switch.

This means:
- connect all your USB peripherals to the monitor
- connect network to the monitor.
- connect your two computers to the monitor

With a KVM switch:
When you switch video input (ex from your work machine and personal machine), usb peripherals and network will switch with that input. So you are using the same mouse / keyb, network cable, usb attached drives etc on both computers.

In my personal use case, where my monitor would be used for both my windows gaming machine and M1 14" - I am struggling to see how this would work well with the Studio.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Based on my limited research and general technical know how, I think that for a multi computer use; you are better off with other monitors than the Studio.

Many Dell moniotrs for example, come with a built in KVM switch.

This means:
- connect all your USB peripherals to the monitor
- connect network to the monitor.
- connect your two computers to the monitor

With a KVM switch:
When you switch video input (ex from your work machine and personal machine), usb peripherals and network will switch with that input. So you are using the same mouse / keyb, network cable, usb attached drives etc on both computers.

In my personal use case, where my monitor would be used for both my windows gaming machine and M1 14" - I am struggling to see how this would work well with the Studio.
Agree. I currently use the LG 34 inch 5K2K but will be getting the Studio Display for extra screen real estate. I'll have my windows work computer connected to the LG only, but will connect my MBP Pro 1 to both the LG and Studio Display. I need to find a TB4 hub that can support both the LG and Studio Display. I prefer just using one TB port. The issue is that 5K will be so much sharper so I wonder how my eyes will manage the two different resolutions.

or

Just sell my LG and buy two Studio Displays, and just plug out/plug in the TB cable into/from my two computers.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
And this is where things will fall apart if the Studio Display requires two DisplayPort signals encapsulated in a Thunderbolt 3 stream for 5K 60Hz 10bpc RGB, […]
Ars Technica claim it does 5K60 via USB-C. Thus, it looks like a Thunderbolt connection is not required for full resolution, giving hope for compatibility with DisplayPort/USB-C KVM switches.

Last edited:

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I had basically the same question for switching between my personal machine and a work machine. It would be nice to be able to switch between the two without moving the cable given the location of the devices on the desk and some sort of switch would be ideal. I guess I'll keep an eye on the forum as these start arriving to see if switches like those above might work.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
I too would love an adapter that would allow me to use at least one Mac at 5K and also plug in another Mac so I don't have to keep switching cables.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
Ars Technica claim it does 5K60 via USB-C. Thus, it looks like a Thunderbolt connection is not required for full resolution, giving hope for compatibility with DisplayPort/USB-C KVM switches.
Seems like as long as the usb c port does 10 gbps and the computer can output to 5k its should go full resolution.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
Do you all think we could use something like the usb-c Digital AV Multiport Adapter from apple and just plug the computer you want to use into that or maybe it only works the other way around?

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Do you all think we could use something like the usb-c Digital AV Multiport Adapter from apple and just plug the computer you want to use into that or maybe it only works the other way around?

I believe the speakers are handled by a usb hub so even if something like that worked there's a chance that there would be no audio camera mic

If you only care about the display out people said the moshi bidirectional displayport to usb c cable worked with their XDR Displays, I have one in order but it won't be here until tomorrow.

Reactions: nastysailboat

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I’m in a similar boat too. I have two studio displays and I’m hoping to find a way to toggle between a soon-to-be Mac Studio (personal) and 2019 MacBook Pro 15” (work). I’d prefer to not have to unplug cables when changing devices. I don’t intend on having anything high bandwidth making use of the studio display usb c ports either. Retaining the charging capability for the MacBook Pro would be a nice to have but not a deal breaker. Keeping the camera and audio functioning is a must have though 🤔

Reactions: dgdosen

WhatTheCJ

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Malibu, CA
I'm in the same boat. Personal Mac mini, and a work MBP that I'd ideally need to switch between. I previously was using an HDMI switcher, but now with the Studio Display I'm not sure what to do.

If anyone buys either of the switches linked above, let us know!

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
This SI-452TB4 KVM would be the device needed but the manufacturer is an ODM which means they typically don’t sell direct to end users but instead sell to other companies that sell it under their own brand.

Reactions: SaMMyS and pkamb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.