Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
So far it's been working nicely for the last week. I switch it about 1 to 2 times a day between work and home and there hasn't been any issues with the orientation of the cable or needing to flip it or anything like that. It's pretty seamless.

I really wish this display had more than one input, though. I know that's wishful thinking and isn't something historically offered by Apple. But, in this remote-centric era, maybe Apple ought to "think different".

Reactions: ric22

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
It appears, from the provided photos, that you have a certified USB4 or Thunderbolt 3 or 4 extension cable (male to female) connected to your ASD, that then connects, depending on your usage scenario (personal, WFH) to either of the 2 Thunderbolt cables shown. Given that Thunderbolt extension cables are not supported by the applicable specs, I am wondering about 2 aspects of your solution/setup:

What is the brand of the USB 4 extension cable that you are using?Related, where did you obtain the cable?

Second, given reported, elsewhere, connectivity issues when using extension cables with Thunderbolt connections, is your setup continuing to function smoothly?

Thanks.
This is an elegant solution without adding extra switches, things to plug in, and higher costs.

What brand cable is this and does it play nicely swapping between computers with your Studio Display?

I'm looking to switch my Studio Display between an M1 Macbook Pro and M1 Mac Studio using the Apple thunderbolt pro cables (similar to what you have). I tried a female to female coupler but it was very fickle and wouldn't reliably work when connecting Apple thunderbolt pro cables together to achieve a similar setup as pictured.

Correct, Factory Apple Thunderbolt cables, one coming from my Mac Studio, the other coming from my Dell Thunderbolt Dock under my desk (this allows my work laptop to always stay plugged in and charged, as well as connected to wired internet). The two Thunderbolt cable ends run into this little cable management thing stuck to the back of my desk https://www.amazon.com/SOULWIT-Management-Organizer-Silicone-Nightstand/dp/B0B8CPMS4T and I swap this exact cable https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Thunderbolt-Support-Transfer-MacBook/dp/B09L156794 back and forth depending which computer I need to run on the Studio Display. The side LB monitor hanging on a VESA arm has HDMI cables running to both the Mac Studio and the Dell dock, and I can switch back and forth with the internal display inputs and go 3 displays for work if I want to, or run the Mac on the side during work.

About once a month when I swap to the cable coming from my Dell dock the Studio Display camera isn't recognized by Webex Teams and I had to restart the Dell with the monitor attached. We just switched to Microsoft Teams last week and it's been working great, so it might have been a Webex software problem. Just remember to set your monitor brightness with your Mac before you swap cables if you are using a windows machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.