Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
For a small thin tablet, I don't think them ditching firewire is beyond the realms of possibilty. Whether that's a good thing or not is another thing.

Where in Manchester are you? :)

Yes, for a tablet, fair enough. I just disagree that they have 'abandoned it'. In an ultraportable, maybe it's not required? It would be a shame - I have a lovely Firewire 400 HDD.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Where in Manchester are you? :)

I work at the University.

Yes, for a tablet, fair enough. I just disagree that they have 'abandoned it'. In an ultraportable, maybe it's not required? It would be a shame - I have a lovely Firewire 400 HDD.

To be fair I missed what sparked the comment.

Apple won't ditch firewire in everything it's not necessary for a lot of devices.

Howver, think of it this way the powerbook 12" was bught by a lot of photographers. Dont some cameras (and videa cameras) favour firewire as a connector? It seems to me they'd want to appeal to that market. If that's the case firewire is safe.

Nepenthe

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Minnesota
Don't drop the laptop,

duh.

a very small missalignment may not allow you to connect the laptop. Great idea, but It maybe sensitive to minor missalignment problems.

So suddenly we are all authorities on a design that isn't even known to exist yet? Give Apple some credit. I don't think they would add functionality like that without at least ensuring that it is robust and somewhat idiot proof.

peraugym

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Austria
I'm still using my powerbook 12'' G4 and I have been long waiting for my replacement but I'll keep it until Macworld San Francisco. If there will be no ultra portable device I'm going to buy a Macbook Pro, don't like glossy screen and I want to have a better GPU than onboard.

Ultra-portable devices are normally more expansive than comparable 15'' notebooks, so I estimate a price of more than 2000$

MacJediDude

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
I WANT an ultra-port MAC!

Man - I want an ultra-portable mac so bad I can taste it!!!
My 12" PB is getting LONG in the tooth but I don't want the increased form factor of the 15" MBP or 13" Macbook. :p

Come on Apple we need the ultra-port!

Petje

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
What if?

What if you got your "ultraportable" laptop connected and you close it?

What will break?
The collapsable connnectors :(
The connectors on the cable or.... your fine new :apple: laptop? :eek:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If it's reasonably priced, count me in for buying an ultra-portable.

That's not going to happen.

Ditto. Priced around the 15" MB or a little higher please. It really gets to me when people want this concept to be 'cheap'. Go buy a dell.

Sorry, but I found your post to be a bit unrealistic. You argue with the first guy (who I quoted above); but by asking for this to be "priced around the 15" MB(P)" you're basically saying the same thing as him.

Ultraportables are expensive - just look around at the decent ones currently available. I'd guess this could find a price point maybe even $1000 over the MacBook Pros.

Personally I am quite happy with the size of Apple's current laptops. I'll be curious to see if there's enough of a market for an ultraportable - at least in the sense of the word as we currently understand it - to make it worth Apple's while.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just create a thin ends (example: SATA connector) to your USB/Firewire/etc... and then sell and adapter to put on the end of mouses, etc.... Better than having "movable parts", IMO.

I can't imagine anything more portable than a Macbook and still be usable.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Apple, don't listen to this I want this machine a pro level device.

Maybe I didn't explain that well enough. I didn't say I wanted it to be cheap, I said "reasonably priced" as in "good value for money". It could be a Pro computer and as long as it's "reasonably priced", I'll buy it.

sonneta

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Yes please!

I really need an ultra portable, but really don't want to buy a PC! Can I fit Mac components inside another device? Hopefully it won't come to that and Apple will come out with something early next year. I think I can wait until then!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Sorry, but I found your post to be a bit unrealistic. You argue with the first guy (who I quoted above); but by asking for this to be "priced around the 15" MB(P)" you're basically saying the same thing as him.

Not UK prices. The MacBook Pro 15" costs about $3,200 if you go for the mid range. And I said 'around that' meaning between that and the $3600 needed for the 17". It's nearly $1000 more in the UK than the US for the 17" so I base my prices on UK prices.

I work at the University.

So do I!

To be fair I missed what sparked the comment.

Apple won't ditch firewire in everything it's not necessary for a lot of devices.

Howver, think of it this way the powerbook 12" was bught by a lot of photographers. Dont some cameras (and videa cameras) favour firewire as a connector? It seems to me they'd want to appeal to that market. If that's the case firewire is safe.

I think they'll keep it.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
If you look at the new ultra-slim keyboard, it is a good indicator that Apple's new ultra-slim powerbook or other product will utilize this form factor.

It has the angles similar to a wedge, however not quite. It is quite possible that the new keyboard is the precursor to the future ultra-portable.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
Wouldn't these collapsible ports make it so that you couldn't have anything larger than the MagSafe plugged in when shut? If you wanted to close it, you'd have to disconnect an ethernet connection as well. I know that "ultra-portables" aren't meant to be used in desktop replacement modes, but you'd want to be able to close it while still connected to the internet.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
London
If you look at the new ultra-slim keyboard, it is a good indicator that Apple's new ultra-slim powerbook or other product will utilize this form factor.

It has the angles similar to a wedge, however not quite. It is quite possible that the new keyboard is the precursor to the future ultra-portable.

What are the dimensions for the new alu-keyboard?

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I don't like this folding port idea, but I can't wait to get my ultra-thin MacBook. It would replace my Sony TZN27.

Maybe I'd get a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra-Thin watch to go with it. :)

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Apple hasn't abandoned firewire, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered putting FW800 in the new imacs.

As for the expanding connector port idea, even if they could make it robust it would suffer too much FUD to be a successful product, IMHO.

A better solution is a slim connector attached to a slim, simple little breakout box containing USB, Firewire 800 and ethernet. One connection. And the reason why FW800 was put in the imacs.

The only flaw in this scenario is that the ultraportable would have to have a USB plug for memory sticks, or when you are out and about without your breakout box. I could see it with USB only as an alternative to a breakout box as most of the networking would be taken care of wirelessly.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
obsession with ports

What is the obsession with having lots of ports. I owned a MacBook, and the only port that I use is a audio out, one USB port and the power port. 95% of people who use the MacBook/Pro too will only use these three things. What is the point of having an ethernet, firewire, extra USB and audio out ports again?

We all see the back end of HP or Dell laptops in cafes, and we all know how ugly they are. What is that big round thing that bulge out from these laptop? Oh Oh Oh can I guess? Well it must be the big ass fan that cools the monster processor that is running Internet Explorer! Good times:D

Cinch

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Folding ports?? I wonder how in earth they'll pull that one off. Seriously, how do you get something that teeny to fold smaller? It seems like it would take a great deal of engineering, and probably end up breaking easily. Call me a critic, but that just doesn't seem very feasible.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Does anything in the patent look like a mini-DVI or HDMI out port?

I really need that to make an ultraportable useful for presentations and for extended screen at home.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
A better solution is a slim connector attached to a slim, simple little breakout box containing USB, Firewire 800 and ethernet. One connection.

I'd add a DVI link to that....

Apple is really neglecting the folks who want their "life" on their laptop, but want to connect it to a big monitor/keyboard/mouse at work, and at home - yet still have the portable form factor for traveling or working outside the office.

In my company, the standard laptop order includes two "port replicators" - one for the home, one for the office. While they may be called "docks" they are really just single, simple connectors between the laptop and the 24" screen, keyboard, mouse, printer, external drive and other peripherals. And, of course, the "dock" has an "undock" button that the software uses to cleanly disconnect all the attached gizmos.

And I'm really amazed that it all remembers that at home the attached monitor is a 1920x1200 on the left of the system, and at work it's a 1200x1600 in portrait mode on the right....

Apple takes a cheap shot at Dell for the cable tangle behind a desktop, yet an Apple portable has a mess of individual cables to (dis)connect every time it's moved, and most Dell's have a simple docking station quick (dis)connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.