Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
I submitted mine on Monday afternoon and it came back at 7:30 pm last night. I was impatient as well and submitted 2 additional requests. I was thinking there might be something up with the website, since some folks in this thread received their replies in minutes.

Going by my experience, I would suggest you wait.

Yea! Just got confirmation from ATT with both iPhone 6+ (mine and wife's). Do I still need to got thru restore in iTune or it should be unlock automatically? I can test it with my friend's T-Mobile SIM...

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
I submitted mine on Monday afternoon and it came back at 7:30 pm last night. I was impatient as well and submitted 2 additional requests. I was thinking there might be something up with the website, since some folks in this thread received their replies in minutes.

Going by my experience, I would suggest you wait.

and yes, the approved the one I submitted yesterday (second try)

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Yea! Just got confirmation from ATT with both iPhone 6+ (mine and wife's). Do I still need to got thru restore in iTune or it should be unlock automatically? I can test it with my friend's T-Mobile SIM...

No you don't need to restore it on iTunes. I took my verizon work sim and put it in my phone before I made the request and it failed. As soon as I got the email from AT&T I put my sim back in and it worked.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013

I didn't have a SIM readily available, so I restored via iTunes and received the unlock message. If you have a different SIM, should be able to activate it that way as well,

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
I didn't have a SIM readily available, so I restored via iTunes and received the unlock message. If you have a different SIM, should be able to activate it that way as well,

Yea! Just tested it with my co-worker's T-Mobile SIM and it's working after activation (I guess the activation thing replaced the mandatory restore from iTune like we had to do before, a one time thing)

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Yea! Just tested it with my co-worker's T-Mobile SIM and it's working after activation (I guess the activation thing replaced the mandatory restore from iTune like we had to do before, a one time thing)

Never had to do the iTunes restore. I unlocked my 3G and my 4S and never did the restore and I used them in Japan on vacation. The iTunes is just a way to confirm it.

I believe the new activation thing is for stolen phones. So that only the owner of the phone can activate it on another network.

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
Never had to do the iTunes restore. I unlocked my 3G and my 4S and never did the restore and I used them in Japan on vacation. The iTunes is just a way to confirm it.

I believe the new activation thing is for stolen phones. So that only the owner of the phone can activate it on another network.

So it will require activation every time I switch to another carrier SIM? Or is it a one time thing when you put in the "other" SIM for the first time after unlocking?

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
if you do this and need to exchange the phone, will the unlock still be in effect?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013

Just curious. When you put the SIM in, does it give you some kind of activation message?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just curious. When you put the SIM in, does it give you some kind of activation message?

Nope. The only message you will ever receive is if you restore in iTunes. The new sim just works. That's how you know it works. At least that's what happened to me.

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal

Yes, it does ask for activation require and I need to activate thru WiFi Network before I can get to home screen. That is why I ask is that only for the first time after unlocking using different carrier SIM or it will be like this every time I insert a foreign SIM (different countries or provider) for the first time?

----------

Just the first time.

Thanks

----------

if you do this and need to exchange the phone, will the unlock still be in effect?

Apple will see your old phone as unlock and exchange an unlocked one for you as well. Happen to my iPhone5 couple years ago that I need to replace my unlocked damage one and the replacement iP5 is also unlocked.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013

Well let me go further. I have a t-mobile sim but I think it might be at the office. I know I can swap back and forth with my Verizon and AT&T sim without it popping up again but I wonder if I try a new sim carrier if it will ask. I will report back as soon as I have a chance to test it.

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
I'm pretty surprised here ... because of this thread I submitted an unlock request to At&t on Tuesday. It took longer than they said it would to get a response but I just got the email saying it's unlocked! Thanks!

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I'm pretty surprised here ... because of this thread I submitted an unlock request to At&t on Tuesday. It took longer than they said it would to get a response but I just got the email saying it's unlocked! Thanks!

It can be hit or miss. I had mine denied twice before the third person unlocked it. Put a TMo SIM in and was in business. I have it activated on the free 200MB tablet plan just for coverage checks and stuff.

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
Weird thing happen, I had been able to unlock my ip6+ last week (see posts above) on the second email request and test it to be successful, but I just got an denied email regarding my first request, will they re-lock my phone back?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Weird thing happen, I had been able to unlock my ip6+ last week (see posts above) on the second email request and test it to be successful, but I just got an denied email regarding my first request, will they re-lock my phone back?

Once it's officially unlocked, it's unlocked.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

No.

Once unlocked, it's permanent.

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
What if for the phone that grant unlock but not yet perform? My wife's ip6+ was also grant unlock for the second attempt but haven't try with other SIM, she also got the denial email for her first request...would her still be unlock?

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
What if for the phone that grant unlock but not yet perform? My wife's ip6+ was also grant unlock for the second attempt but haven't try with other SIM, she also got the denial email for her first request...would her still be unlock?

You're overthinking this. If you received unlock approval, you're good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.