Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
So, just for giggles, I tried to unlock my iPhone 6+ which still has nearly $600 left to pay... sure enough, I just got this email. So I can only assume YMMV.

Unlock request number: <omitted>

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

2. Ensure the original SIM card that came with this device is inserted in your iPhone.

3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.

5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014.

Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe these dummies are starting to realize that even if our phones are unlocked and we use other carriers or leave we still have to fulfill our financial obligations.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
After my 6+ (Bought with a 2 years contract on release day) was unlocked by ATT, I tried with my 5S (Also got it with the 2 years contract on release day, and has a few months left) and it just got approved, now, this time it took 24 hours for me to get the email.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Quick question for those who are familiar with the process after aproval.

I have a sim card from my ipad (Service is suspended since I do not use it), that I was testing to see if the unlock was working, when I put the sim card in my 6+ I get the "Verizon" on the top left, and 4-5 dots (bars).

But, when I insert the sim card in the 5s i only get "Verizon" on the top left for a min, one dot (bar) and it goes back to no service.

Since it was doing this when I tried to finish the unlock, I did the restore, and still doing the same thing, is there a reason it is been different on the 6+and the 5s?

Thank you for your help...

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
another speedy Next plan unlock

AT&T iPhone 6 ordered/received last September through their Next (20) plan. Made 4 installment payments so far and like others in this thread I requested the unlock through AT&T's portal. After replying to the request confirmation email, I instantly received the unlock notification.

This all makes sense because, beyond my obligation to completely pay for the phone, which I definitely will, I have no service agreement with AT&T. I'm on their Mobile Share plan and get the $15 data discount each month, but I'm not locked into any term for this. As long as I pay off the phone over 20 months, AT&T shouldn't be able to chain me to their network. Despite this, I'm completely satisfied with AT&T and will stay on the plan I have, but now I'll be able to pop in just about any foreign carrier's SIM when I'm abroad and get rates far far below what AT&T charges on their international plans. On a 3 month trip through Europe last year I saved a bundle doing this with my unlocked iP5.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
AT&T iPhone 6 ordered/received last September through their Next (20) plan. Made 4 installment payments so far and like others in this thread I requested the unlock through AT&T's portal. After replying to the request confirmation email, I instantly received the unlock notification.

This all makes sense because, beyond my obligation to completely pay for the phone, which I definitely will, I have no service agreement with AT&T. I'm on their Mobile Share plan and get the $15 data discount each month, but I'm not locked into any term for this. As long as I pay off the phone over 20 months, AT&T shouldn't be able to chain me to their network. Despite this, I'm completely satisfied with AT&T and will stay on the plan I have, but now I'll be able to pop in just about any foreign carrier's SIM when I'm abroad and get rates far far below what AT&T charges on their international plans. On a 3 month trip through Europe last year I saved a bundle doing this with my unlocked iP5.

Yeah, even if we had a service agreement. Unlocking the phone doesn't mean we aren't going to fulfill it. We we do stop paying for our phones, they should be able to then blacklist it, charge our credit cards for the phone and ruin our credit report.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
I wonder if it is different for those on NEXT and those who are in contract. Or if it comes down to who the ticket gets routed to.

Both my 6+ and 5s are under contract, no next, the 6+ was approved in a couple minutes, 5s took 24 hours.

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
I wonder if it is different for those on NEXT and those who are in contract. Or if it comes down to who the ticket gets routed to.

I am with my 2 years contract renewed in Sept for 2 iP6+ (keep my unlimited data) and was approved after 2 days...so I don't think it's only for NEXT...

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
I finally got approved! I've tried a few times a month since I got my 6+ on ATT through contract. Sometimes I applied back to back, others a day apart

Good luck to to everyone! Keep trying!!

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Denied 5 times in a row for an iP5s on contract. iP5s is not currently active on a line.

Last edited:

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Here's another success story. I preordered my iPhone 6 on AT&T Next and received it on release date. Needless to say, I still owe money on the phone, like most other Next subscribers. After reading this thread I submitted an unlock request last week and received the "Congratulations..." e-mail yesterday. I was actually thinking that, since it was taking longer than 48 hours, my request will get denied and submitted another one yesterday.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have apple dust, but I am out of AT&T fairy dust. Good luck, at least he request for isn't too difficult. I wonder if someone who is not in contract did the request for someone if it would make a difference.

Dude, it worked:D
Both 6 plus models I requested are under contract and they both got approved. I just got the congratulations email.
I tried over 8-9 times each before and always got denied.
For some reason they got accepted this time.
Now I just submitted one more to see if that gets unlocked too :D

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Both 6 plus models I requested are under contract and they both got approved. I just got the congratulations email.
Now I just submitted one more to see if that gets unlocked too :D

Congrats, someone at AT&T is going to lose their job for approving these.

I think if the notice that they approve unlocks but don't lose their customer base they will see it's a waste to keep them locked.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
The AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon devices are all the same.

The new sim free models are actually the same as the Sprint phones aside from being unlocked and have a few additional bands that the AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon devices don't have.

The only real benefit to the new unlocked phone over the other devices is that it is fully unlocked and it works on more networks. If you only plan on using AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon, your unlocked AT&T phone will do that just fine.

So the Sprinter versions are that much different than AT&T, VZ, and T-Mob? I thought VZ and Sprint were basically the same, huh, learn something new everyday

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Congrats, someone at AT&T is going to lose their job for approving these.
None of us are doing anything wrong here. No one is trying to get out of an etf or trying to not fulfill their Next contract.

----------

Did you try a different day from the day you tried 8-9 times?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
None of us are doing anything wrong here. No one is trying to get out of an etf or trying to not fulfill their Next contract.

I didn't say any of us were doing anything wrong. If you see above on post 2 I am the one who told everyone to submit request until it's approved. I just said someone at AT&T is probably going to lose his job. I got both my NEXT phones unlocked and others on contract have too based on my advice to people to keep submitting the request.

Right on AT&T's unlock site it states in contract plans and NEXT Accounts aren't eligible for unlock.

AT&T Unlock site said:
General Requirements for All Unlock Requests
The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. (For help see Device Unlock Support )
It must not be reported lost or stolen.
It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think if the notice that they approve unlocks but don't lose their customer base they will see it's a waste to keep them locked.

I agree.
People will still have to pay the ETF if they leave early or risk screwing up their credit.
Glad they're becoming less strict with it though.
Lets see if my 3rd request gets approved:D

----------

[/COLOR]Did you try a different day from the day you tried 8-9 times?

Cant remember what day it was when I kept submitting other requests.
Only takes a minutes so I was hitting them up every other week.
I even did live chat but was denied then too.

3rd request did not go through :(
I'll try again later.

Unlock request number: 2011643531
Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.
Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:
You haven’t fulfilled your service contract.
You can submit a new request once you complete your service contract.
Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

Last edited:

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I have 2 6+'s on my account. For the hell of it, i tried mine. It was unlocked in like 5 minutes. Then after that, i did my 5S that i was using previously. Still 'in preogress'.
And then i also did my fiances 6+, the other 6+ on my account. Also still in progress.

I hope i didn't screw anything up by doing them all at the same time. I guess if they get denied, i'll just keep trying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.