Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Give it a rest bud.
If it happens it will.
You can try again later if it gets refused.
If I don't hear back by tomorrow or if my GoPhone request gets denied, I am going to hammer them with unlock requests, lol! Maybe they will get so sick of me asking for an unlock that they will give in and unlock it!

cymolia

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Orange County, FL
I can confirm that my 6 plus has been unlocked . Requested unlock last night around 7 pm. Haven't even made the first payment yet on my Next plan . Bought phone Dec 5th. So thanks to everyone in this thread , I now have an unlocked 6 plus

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Lol :)
Either that or they might accidentally blacklist your imei:D

You're right, they will flag the IMEI if you make too many requests.

I sent my first unlock request, which was denied for a device is active on another account. I had the person, who I purchased the phone from, remove the device from their account. The device was paid for in full.

I sent another request and didn't hear anything for 3 days, so I sent two other requests. Big mistake by stupid, impatient me and all my fault! :D

Two requests came back unlocked, last request was denied. Called AT&T and representative said they flagged the IMEI, for too many requests. She said that this was a security feature. She removed flag, pointed the IMEI to the last unlock request that was approved and all is well.

Moral of this story, don't send multiple requests like me and listen to Applejuiced! :)

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
You're right, they will flag the IMEI if you make too many requests.
I feel like this one was flagged from the beginning! I got instantaneous denials on this one from the first one I requested.

Two requests came back unlocked
From everything I am reading here, once they do that, it can't be undone and you no longer have to restore through iTunes to finish the unlocking. So your device was unlocked.

----------

I just got denied once more a few minutes ago. Very quick this time too.
Im giving it a rest for a while so I don't get flagged and never be able to get it unlocked:D
Did you try GoPhone option? That is the only one that wasn't denied for me.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I feel like this one was flagged from the beginning! I got instantaneous denials on this one from the first one I requested.

From everything I am reading here, once they do that, it can't be undone and you no longer have to restore through iTunes to finish the unlocking. So your device was unlocked..

I called AT&T and spoke to the representative. She told me the IMEI was flagged, because of multiple attempts after the unlock was approved. She removed it and said she's seen this happen before. She gave me her name and employee ID. Maybe she was making the whole thing up? She seemed serious enough.

You haven't been unlocked yet, so requesting unlocks and being denied must be different. Have you sent multiple requests, before receiving each individual reply?

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I called AT&T and spoke to the representative. She told me the IMEI was flagged, because of multiple attempts after the unlock was approved. She removed it and said she's seen this happen before. She gave me her name and employee ID. Maybe she was making the whole thing up? She seemed serious enough.
No, that wasn't my point. My point is that if you read this thread, according to some knowledgeable posters here, once a carrier submits an unlock request to Apple, it cannot be undone. So if you ever get one of those congratulations you're unlocked! emails, AT&T has no way of reversing it. So you didn't need to call when you got an approval and then subsequently got a denial. The SIM unlock is permanent.

Also, even though the instructions say to restore through iTunes, according to some knowledgeable posters here, you no longer have to do that and haven't had to do that since the iP5. AT&T just sends out the same instructions to everyone regardless of model. The device is unlocked from the moment you receive the congratulations you're unlocked email.

Have you sent multiple requests, before receiving each individual reply?
Yes, I did for the one that was unlocked and I got 2 congratulations you're unlocked emails back. But again, my point is that it only takes 1 successful request to unlock an iPhone and any subsequent requests are irrelevant as once the device is unlocked, it is permanently unlocked and there is nothing AT&T can do to relock it.

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
No, that wasn't my point. My point is that if you read this thread, according to some knowledgeable posters here, once a carrier submits an unlock request to Apple, it cannot be undone. So if you ever get one of those congratulations you're unlocked! emails, AT&T has no way of reversing it. So you didn't need to call when you got an approval and then subsequently got a denial. The SIM unlock is permanent.

Also, even though the instructions say to restore through iTunes, according to some knowledgeable posters here, you no longer have to do that and haven't had to do that since the iP5. AT&T just sends out the same instructions to everyone regardless of model. The device is unlocked from the moment you receive the congratulations you're unlocked email.

In regards to restoring via iTunes or just plopping in a SIM, that I understood. I guess what she was telling me was incorrect. I don't see the purpose to tell a customer your IMEI is flagged, just for the heck of it.

Having said that, it's unlocked and that's what I needed to be done. Hope yours will unlock soon!

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
In regards to restoring via iTunes or just plopping in a SIM, that I understood. I guess what she was telling me was incorrect. I don't see the purpose to tell a customer your IMEI is flagged, just for the heck of it.
It may have been flagged idk. All I am telling you is that it doesn't matter. If you get that congratulations you're unlocked email, the device is unlocked.

As for AT&T reps being wrong, they are wrong all of the time. Same with Verizon reps. I can get 3 different answers from 3 different reps. If they don't know the answer to a question, they literally make one up rather than saying they don't know.

Again, my point is that the moment the unlock request is sent to Apple, that is it. AT&T cannot reverse it.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
So I put an inactive Verizon SIM card in the iP5s that is not unlocked and I got the message:

SIM Not Valid

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

Then I put the same SIM card in the iP5s that is unlocked and connected to iTunes and got the congratulations your iPhone is unlocked message without having to do a restore.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I'm glad I came across this thread. My wife and I are still under contact for buying iPhone 5s on release day in 2013, so we used 2 eligible lines on our family plan to do upgrade swaps to get 2 iPhone 6 on release day. As a result, all 4 of our lines with AT&T are currently still under contract.

We will be out of the country for almost 2 months later this year, so I've been desperately trying to get both iPhone 6 unlocked without success. I've submitted multiple times using various techniques such as using a friend's account who is no longer under contract, submitting immediately after getting a warranty replacement from Apple, etc., and the unlock denials came almost immediately.

After reading this thread, I tried submitted my unlock request Friday night and got an approval email Saturday afternoon. I then submitted my wife's unlock request, and the approval came within minutes. Not sure what has changed, but it seems that AT&T is much more lenient at least right now.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I've been desperately trying to get both iPhone 6 unlocked without success. I've submitted multiple times using various techniques such as using a friend's account who is no longer under contract, submitting immediately after getting a warranty replacement from Apple, etc., and the unlock denials came almost immediately.

After reading this thread, I tried submitted my unlock request Friday night and got an approval email Saturday afternoon. I then submitted my wife's unlock request, and the approval came within minutes. Not sure what has changed, but it seems that AT&T is much more lenient at least right now.
Congrats!!! How long did you wait between the denials and the request you submitted last Friday night?

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Congrats!!! How long did you wait between the denials and the request you submitted last Friday night?

Actually, I haven't even tried submitting for months. I think the last submission was back in November. I'm not leaving for my trip until May, so I was originally hoping that the prices for 3rd party unlock services would come down by then. I only tried again after reading this thread, and both phones were unlocked!

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
On a family plan, is the account holder the name on primary line or the actual line for which an unlock is being requested?

lkim03

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015

So I put in a Prepaid option, around Sunday/Saturday, and I got an email back today (Monday) saying it is not the right account holder information. Makes sense because my account is not a prepaid one..

Since everyone is saying if you do tooo many requests you can get blacklisted, I'm not sure what to do. I just put in another request for current customer and got denied a minute later...

I honestly don't know how long I can last living abroad without any phone service... its my second week...:confused:

How do I check if I am blacklisted already?...

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
So I put in a Prepaid option, around Sunday/Saturday, and I got an email back today (Monday) saying it is not the right account holder information. Makes sense because my account is not a prepaid one..
I got the same result today so I put in another GoPhone request, lol! At least I am not getting the immediate denials that are automated responses. Hoping that who ever is reviewing my requests will give in.

Since everyone is saying if you do tooo many requests you can get blacklisted
Flagged, not blacklisted.

I'm not sure what to do. I just put in another request for current customer and got denied a minute later...
seems to me like these are automated.

I honestly don't know how long I can last living abroad without any phone service... its my second week...:confused:
There are no unlocked phones for sale in Europe? You can buy one and then sell it before you leave. Idk where you are in Europe, but swappa has a UK site.

http://swappa.com/market/uk

How do I check if I am blacklisted already?...
If you mean flagged, you would need to call ATT and ask them what is going on. I would see if you can get through to ATT retentions, explain the situation and tell them you will leave ATT over this if they won't unlock your phone.

I will probably do this soon myself - call ATT and speak to the retentions department about unlocking the phone.

Also if you leave ATT and pay the ETF, they will unlock your phone.

lkim03

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
I got the same result today so I put in another GoPhone request, lol! At least I am not getting the immediate denials that are automated responses. Hoping that who ever is reviewing my requests will give in.

Flagged, not blacklisted.

seems to me like these are automated.

There are no unlocked phones for sale in Europe? You can buy one and then sell it before you leave. Idk where you are in Europe, but swappa has a UK site.

http://swappa.com/market/uk

If you mean flagged, you would need to call ATT and ask them what is going on. I would see if you can get through to ATT retentions, explain the situation and tell them you will leave ATT over this if they won't unlock your phone.

I will probably do this soon myself - call ATT and speak to the retentions department about unlocking the phone.

Also if you leave ATT and pay the ETF, they will unlock your phone.

Yes, I meant flagged. I guess I can call (assuming I can dial 611 with wifi?) and explain the desperation at the moment, but I guess I will look into buying a phone around here.

Its just the last time I called and explained, it was a very bad experience. The only way they would consider unlocking my phone was if I paid it off, which would be over $300.. I honestly just don't have enough money to pay it off at once!!

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
assuming I can dial 611 with wifi
What service are you using to make your calls over data?

To call ATT customer care when you are abroad, you dial +1-916-843-4685 and according to this, it is free when on international roaming.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/faq.jsp

Q. How do I contact Customer Care from abroad?

A. If you have problems or questions while roaming outside the U.S., call AT&T at +1-916-843-4685 (a free call from your wireless phone).

----------

Its just the last time I called and explained, it was a very bad experience.
They have a study abroad package for students who are studying abroad:

http://www.corp.att.com/edu/studyabroad/
http://www.corp.att.com/edu/docs/study_abroad_faq.pdf

----------

The only way they would consider unlocking my phone was if I paid it off, which would be over $300.. I honestly just don't have enough money to pay it off at once!!
How long have you been with ATT? Are you on a family plan with your parents?

----------

and explain the desperation at the moment, but I guess I will look into buying a phone around here.
What about the unlock services? Idk anything about them and some are scams but I know some people use them successfully.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Tried again today as Current Customer and non-ATT Customer but both come back immediate denials, obviously automated. Prepaid/GoPhone requests at least get reviewed by a person so I will try those a few more times to see what happens.

Then I will call retentions and see what I can get them to do. This line is leaving ATT soon anyhow so if I can't get retentions to give in, when I port the number to Verizon and pay the ETF, I will get it unlocked then. I was just hoping that I could find a way to save the UDP line after the port and then sell the UDP line. But then the iP5s would stay locked to ATT b/c no ETF.

I only need it unlocked in order to sell it for more money. I can sell it locked, I would just get less money for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.