Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
McBeresford said:
2.3 ghz dualcore 1.15 x 2 1 mb cache per cpu 16 GB ram per machine 512 pc2 4200 ram per unit nvidia 6600 all pci express slots.
No, no. This part is all wrong: "2.3GHz dual core 1.15 x 2." A 2.3GHz dual core machine would have 2, 2.3GHz cores. I don't doubt the possibility of 2.3GHz dual core machines or even nVidia 6600s, but obviously this person isn't reprinting official specs.

EDIT: And no way the thing has 16 slots for RAM.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
physics_gopher said:
Is this going to be one of those phantom upgrades at first, like with the Mac mini's? At first they "forget" to change the packaging on the last batch of single core PowerMacs, with repackaged models shipping from the factor late Wednesday afternoon.

They wouldn't do that with a product that they're holding a news conference about. The minis were a totally different situation.

I believe him too. It's not like anything he said is so outrageous, and it's not like there aren't people who know at this point. Hopefully that won't be the high end though. I think a pretty great (and realistic) line up would be:

dual core 2.0
dual processor-dual core 2.3
dual processor-dual core 2.5 (or 2.7)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
QCassidy352 said:
It's not like anything he said is so outrageous, and it's not like there aren't people who know at this point.

I don't want to sound like a parrot _but_

Do you really think Apple would replace the PCI-X slots with there minimal hardware for PCIe with no hardware?

Oh well only a few more hours and we shall all know.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
risc said:

Do you really think Apple would replace the PCI-X slots with there minimal hardware for PCIe with no hardware?

That's true. But then I don't know much about PCI-X or its future. :confused:

Damn are you guys staying up or what? I guess I don't need to go to class tomorrow... :D

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
dferrara said:
But then I don't know much about PCI-X or its future. :confused:

PCI-X is the industry standard for 64 bit PCI, it's everywhere from workstations, to servers. It's just not in PCs, but then I don't really class the Power Mac as a PC.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
risc said:

I could see them doing it. The market for PCI-X is high end only, and PCIe is compatible with PCI 2.2. They'd be angering some of the people who have expensive PCI-X hardware (network cards, SCSI controllers), but Apple has been known to do such things.

I hope that they leave at least a PCI-X slot or two, just to finish out the PowerPC generation. People using these as workstations are going to have enough to buy in 2007 (but on the flip side, maybe now's a good time to start that investment by going PCIe).

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I was just reading up at the AI forums. A guy there suggested dual-core PowerBooks! With dual-dual-core PowerMacs!? :eek:

This would mean that Apple re-engineered for the MPC8641D and didn't pull the plug. There's a .1% chance people! :D But what an event that would be.

We'll know the reality soon so enjoy the dream.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
matticus008 said:
EDIT: And no way the thing has 16 slots for RAM.
It doesn't need 16 slots for 16GB of RAM, only 8, have you noticed that DDR2 comes in 2GB chips? The new iMac you can buy one for it.

*oh i didn't see his other post saying the 16 slots thing, sry was comparing your post to just what was quoted in yours.

And the 1.15 x 2 thing i believe he was stating the bus speed.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Benjamin said:
And the 1.15 x 2 thing i believe he was stating the bus speed.

That would make more sense, and would bring bus speeds in line with AMD. And yeah, the 16 slots thing was his post.

But there's nothing surprising or even really interesting about these proposed specs, though it will be nice to see PowerMacs that can actually push the envelope again.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
matticus008 said:
But there's nothing surprising or even really interesting about these proposed specs, though it will be nice to see PowerMacs that can actually push the envelope again.

It's what makes them so believable. :(

Ah well, at least the consumer Macs are still great value.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
mad jew said:
It's what makes them so believable. :(

Ah well, at least the consumer Macs are still great value.

Are you guys disappointed in dual dual-core? :eek: :confused:

The speed is disappointing maybe, but maybe that's the low-end...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
dferrara said:
Are you guys disappointed in dual dual-core? :eek: :confused:

Until it can wash the dishes, it's got nothin' on my girl!

Nah, it's not that I'm disappointed with dual core per se, but rather that it's taken this long for Apple to implement it and that they'll no doubt massively overcharge for it. :(

Still, I'll admit I can't really say anything until they actually release something. It's just that I see the professional line a little overpriced at the moment. They're not incompetent or inadequate, just overpriced.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
matticus008 said:
That would make more sense, and would bring bus speeds in line with AMD. And yeah, the 16 slots thing was his post.

It's still inaccurate. His post implies a single dual-core 2.3 GHz processor. This processor only needs 1 front-side bus at 1.15 GHz. A dual dual-core 2.3 GHz would require 1.15 x 2. Further, the motherboard has a near-zero likelihood of having 16 memory slots.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
Nah, it's not that I'm disappointed with dual core per se, but rather that it's taken this long for Apple to implement it

Sure, AMD (and maybe Intel too?) have dual core now, but Apple's had dual-CPU since when? 2001? If Apple uses dual dual-core, then we'll be in the lead again :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nermal said:
Sure, AMD (and maybe Intel too?) have dual core now, but Apple's had dual-CPU since when? 2001? If Apple uses dual dual-core, then we'll be in the lead again :D

But we can't boast about dual dual cores without sounding like retards. :(

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
QCassidy352 said:
dual core 2.0
This may (or may not) be a step backwards. The current dual processor 2 GHz model has 2 independent 1 GHz FSBs. The new single processor dual-core 2 GHz model would have half the number of front-side buses. The two cores would be sharing a single bus, but if the two cores have an internal core-to-core communication bus (ala AMD Athlon64 X2), it could have a net positive impact on performance. Very little has been published about real world performance differences between the two architectures.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
we all know what will happen here , apple will go ahead and let lose these bad boys and for the next 6 weeks we will be arguing the facts of dual core v's raw clock power and after the 6 weeks (ie apple starts shipping) we will be talking about when apple will release faster ones - then maybe febuary time we might get some more info on the next OS X .5 release and then we will argue the toss over that if it will run on your slow dual core g5 that they release way back in october 05 lol and why apple have not upgraded them bad boys already.

dam i need a coffee and a ciggy lol :)

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Nermal said:

Intel has had dual CPU since the late 90s, and AMD at least since 2000. And I believe that dual, dual core AMD setups exist (but Apple would be first to bring them to the general public).

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
ksz said:
It's still inaccurate. His post implies a single dual-core 2.3 GHz processor. This processor only needs 1 front-side bus at 1.15 GHz. A dual dual-core 2.3 GHz would require 1.15 x 2. Further, the motherboard has a near-zero likelihood of having 16 memory slots.

Nahhhhh, Apple will be introducing the A0 motherboard form factor tomorrow (named after the ISO paper size!), with one square meter of surface area. It will have 16 RAM slots per CPU socket (8 per core, double the current PM) and offer PLENTY of space for cryogenic cooling. Sadly, top speed will still fail to hit 3.0GHz.

And you thought that G5 cases were big and heavy now!

:eek: :D ;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
But we can't boast about dual dual cores without sounding like retards. :(

"Quad-core" then :)

matticus008 said:
Intel has had dual CPU since the late 90s, and AMD at least since 2000.

But like you said about dual dual-core, Apple actually brings these things to the public :)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
matticus008 said:
Nahhhhh, Apple will be introducing the A0 motherboard form factor tomorrow (named after the ISO paper size!), with one square meter of surface area. It will have 16 RAM slots per CPU socket (8 per core, double the current PM) and offer PLENTY of space for cryogenic cooling. Sadly, top speed will still fail to hit 3.0GHz.

And you thought that G5 cases were big and heavy now!

:eek: :D ;)
Haha, why stop at 16 when you can have 17? Why stop at 17 when you can have 18? ;)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
McBeresford said:
Well, shoot. Now you got me thinkin. They have 16 slots from what I understand. That doesn't make sense to me, but that is what I have seen. I suppose, if one wanted to think like a crazy person..... 32 GB.... hmmm

Though i seriously doubt it.

you had me up until here. . . .16 RAM slots seems a bit absurd. like just enough over the edge. . . plus 32GB of ram probably wouldnt even be supported by a machine. i know the theoretical support of these G5 processors is huge. but with apple cutting down from enough room for 8 gb to room for only 4 gb on some machines, i dont seem apple suddenly adding 16 slots for ram! but man, if that processor comes out, that will be a killer machine!!!!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My guess...

My guess is possibly 2 PowerMac models

1) Dual core or dual proc somewhere in the 2.0+ GHz range
2) dual dual core 2.5GHz

Bus speed to be half the proc spreed of course.
DDR2 memory with 8 slots. Memory capacity of 16GB. Comes with 512MB (at least).
Default Video board to be the same or a bit than what is currently in the 2.7GHz PowerMac.

Of course I could be totally wrong.

Oh yeah, and updates to the LCDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.