Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urtho

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
These options are all well and good, but where are the 16:10 displays? I know I for one read content top of screen to bottom, so horizontal resolution in 16:9 does not do much for me. I want the "fold" to be lower on the page so I have to scroll less.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
27 inches is not large enough for 4K. 32 inches would be much better, but it can take as much as 40 inches (especially in 5k) before fonts become blotchy. It blows my mind that not a single display maker has gone >27 inches.

What? 27" is _much too large_ for a 4K monitor. 4K should be 21 inch, 5K should be 27 inch.

Reactions: ErikGrim

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
And that right there is why I'm getting the 5K display. That 25% off until January is too good to pass up. Say what you will about the bezels, but they're not that obnoxious, and it fully charges a 15" MBP, transfers data at 3.1 speed for external devices, is brighter, that color is going to look awesome if the MBP screen is any indication, and it has speakers and a camera. Do I wish the design was better? Obviously. Is it hideous? Only if you're looking for something to complain about, because that is really the only thing that isn't top notch that I have seen. Even the price is reasonable at 25%, which is a miracle for something Apple is promoting.

No, that design is absolutely hideous lol. Even the base looks like they just grabbed a giant square piece of sheet metal, cut it into squares and called it a day. The most bland design I've seen since the 90s beige computers I used to use. With that said, I'm still getting one simply for the included 85W charging abilities and included USB-C ports. Also, because of the Apple included help in designing it, it'll be a rock solid addition. I've tried a few USB-C adapters off Amazon and they've made my system unstable.

Last edited:

apb87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
I use the LG 27UD88 at work. I take advantage of the cable manager on the back of the monitor stem, and the single cord is awesome. Not to mention it has an audio jack and standard USB ports on the back that can be used as a hub. I think this one looks better than the black, but just my opinion
Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 3.01.00 PM.png

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
How sterile does one get from sitting in front of a 37" monitor?? Geez
This is the first time that I've realized since having my second kid a few months back that I no longer have to worry about anything making me sterile because we are now finished! What a weird thought to have.

That being said, I want a display that's like a third of a circle that just kinda wraps around my vision at like 2ft on a desk. My 27" iMac display is about 13" tall, so I imagine it would be about 18" tall and maybe four feet across? Retina, obviously, so not happening any time soon. Make it mLED too. That's my dream display. The semi-circle thing is nice because then I'm not looking at it from an angle so all of the color are more even.

Now curved TV displays? Stupid IMO. My wife's cousin sold his startup for a lot of money a few years ago and has this ridiculous 90" or so curved 4K TV that cost like $25,000 when he bought it last year and I hate it. If you're sitting to either side you can't see a lot of the TV. It only makes sense if you're sitting close and dead center. Beyond that, the stupid curved glare is really annoying, and all the live TV broadcasts look kind of pixelated at that size because they aren't 4K.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
No, that design is absolutely hideous lol. Even the base looks like they just grabbed a giant square piece of sheet metal, cut it into squares and called it a day. The most bland design I've seen since the 90s being computers I used to use. With that said, I'm still getting one simply for the included 85W charging abilities and included USB-C ports. Also, because of the Apple included help in designing it, it'll be a rock solid addition. I've tried a few USB-C adapters off Amazon and they've made my system unstable.
We'll just agree to disagree. I don't like the design, but I just don't think it is straight trash like a lot of people. Ideally, I wish they made it look like the old ACD. That thing is gorgeous (I have one now), but my 24" at 1920x1200 just won't look right if I pop a 2016 MBP 15" next to it that has a higher resolution lol.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Buy a PC like the $3000 SurfaceBook that can't even handle 5K, running Windows which can't yet handle HiDPI correctly.

Yep, people bitch about the latest MBP and talk about going to Windows which looks like a Picasso painting on retina screens (different sized objects within a single app window).

Reactions: Zirel

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I agree. The Ultrafine 5K is the best of the bunch. I would get one, but I don't have a laptop that can drive it.
Yeah, I personally am only justifying the purchase and a new MBP because I got a new job with a solid pay bump at the exact time as a MBP redesign. And the display is 25% off for now + I'd need a damn dongle to use the new MBP with the ACD. Otherwise, my 2008 MBP would've been used until it wouldn't turn on anymore or until I go back to grad school at some point.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
We'll just agree to disagree. I don't like the design, but I just don't think it is straight trash like a lot of people. Ideally, I wish they made it look like the old ACD. That thing is gorgeous (I have one now), but my 24" at 1920x1200 just won't look right if I pop a 2016 MBP 15" next to it that has a higher resolution lol.

I'm coming from an Apple Thunderbolt Display. From what we've used (also priced in the $1k range), the LG design is unacceptable. I'll never understand why they couldn't just give us the iMac sans computer (same connectors too). I say unacceptable, but I'll be buying it anyway lol.

Who else finds it strange that the sale price is good only for December, but the display is only available for sale in December. I hope they don't sell out too quick.

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
what do I need to use a 4k 27" DELL (P2715Q) at 4k@60Hz with the new Macbook Pro Retina 13" (NON touch bar version) ? only an adapter USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 or something else ?

apb87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
what do I need to use a 4k 27" DELL (P2715Q) at 4k@60Hz with the new Macbook Pro Retina 13" (NON touch bar version) ? only an adapter USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 or something else ?

USB-C to display port should work

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm coming from an Apple Thunderbolt Display. From what we've used (also priced in the $1k range), the LG design is unacceptable. I'll never understand why they couldn't just give us the iMac sans computer (same connectors too). I say unacceptable, but I'll be buying it anyway lol.

Who else finds it strange that the sale price is good only for December, but the display is only available for sale in December. I hope they don't sell out too quick.
I imagine (or at least hope) that if you place your order in December, they'll honor it.

Also, the way I see/justify it, those old monitors had resolutions and tech that were available in uglier designs from competitors for less money. I don't know of any other good 5K display that would meet the needs of a 2016 MBP user possibly at all, but definitely not for this price. So if they're at least coming in at a good price point for this product, I can accept the less than stellar design. I'm sure I'll get used to it and forgive it when staring at that gorgeous display.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
I just wanna drop in and say I find it extremely bisarre to see Apple outsource the production of their screens to LG. Yet stil somehow claiming to also be an Apple product.

Is this a major step back to the 90s for Apple? When they ****ed everything up without Steve Jobs? I mean. Wasn´t this exact type of thing the very reason Apple started failing. The thing Jobs had to clean up.

They made perfectly nice looking fine cinema screens. What was wrong with that? Apple is losing their grip more and more.

Reactions: deadlystriker

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I use the LG 27UD88 at work. I take advantage of the cable manager on the back of the monitor stem, and the single cord is awesome. Not to mention it has an audio jack and standard USB ports on the back that can be used as a hub. I think this one looks better than the black, but just my opinion View attachment 672803
I love that MacBook stand—the mStand by Rain Design, right? I have a similar setup at home but with an older 27" IPS display that isn't retina. I wish my mid-2012 rMBP could run 4K at 60Hz…sigh. As for my work setup, I wish it was that clean! I mean, it's not too messy and I could clean it, but it has probably gotten a little out of hand with STUFF. I've got 13x19" prints of my photography work and family plastering the walls. On my desk there are toy dinosaurs, legos, nerf guns, and random gadgets.

nicky0

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
England
I understand the dropping of old connection types. Things change (scsi, serial, that phone kb wire the original mac had). But I'll never get ethernet though. Maybe they do it just for the thinness of the machine. Others can be swapped relatively easily once vendors start making compatible devices. But ethernet in many businesses is in the walls. Not so easy or cheap to swap out. Granted, it used to be coax, but asaik that was one big switchover in the course of, what?, 30 years? I really don't see it vanishing soon, at least not until 10 or 100GB (really 10/100, not just "on paper") is a reality.

There's this new thing called Wireless LAN.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I have the LG 38 just waiting for me MBP...

Yup, I have the '16 MBP hooked up to this sucker, as you already know... Kind of missing the 5K display on the iMac I had though... Loved how sharp everything was... Just 27" is much smaller than 38" ;)

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Awesome displays, especially Ultra fine 5k with TB3. I have a LG 34" Ultrawide Thunderbolt 2 and it is a Wonderfull display.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Yep, people bitch about the latest MBP and talk about going to Windows which looks like a Picasso painting on retina screens (different sized objects within a single app window).

And you never know if it's going to be too small or blocky!

fisherman188

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
So I think the biggest unanswered question (that will probably remain that way until people actually receive them) is whether or not these are strictly MacOS and Thunderbolt 3 compatible. I know what the tech specs say but those have been known to be wrong or only partial truths. Can I plug in an older Mac laptop/desktop with a Thunderbolt 3 - HDMI/Display Port cable and run it at a lower resolution. Or, can I plug the Thunderbolt 3 port from a Dell XPS 15, Razer or any other new laptop with TB3 into it and get native 5k? Surely Apple wouldn't create a product like a Display for such a limited market as Mac or only 2016 MacBook Pro.

Both Apple and LG would lose out on a huge amount of potential sales and I doubt the "well if you want to use our 5k monitor then buy one of our newest computers" strategy will net nearly as many computer sales and a multi purpose display would net it' sales.

Steveuk82

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Yup, I have the '16 MBP hooked up to this sucker, as you already know... Kind of missing the 5K display on the iMac I had though... Loved how sharp everything was... Just 27" is much smaller than 38" ;)

Luckily I have never experienced 5k so this screen is extra impressive to me
[doublepost=1479334108][/doublepost]
So I think the biggest unanswered question (that will probably remain that way until people actually receive them) is whether or not these are strictly MacOS and Thunderbolt 3 compatible. I know what the tech specs say but those have been known to be wrong or only partial truths. Can I plug in an older Mac laptop/desktop with a Thunderbolt 3 - HDMI/Display Port cable and run it at a lower resolution. Or, can I plug the Thunderbolt 3 port from a Dell XPS 15, Razer or any other new laptop with TB3 into it and get native 5k? Surely Apple wouldn't create a product like a Display for such a limited market as Mac or only 2016 MacBook Pro.

Both Apple and LG would lose out on a huge amount of potential sales and I doubt the "well if you want to use our 5k monitor then buy one of our newest computers" strategy will net nearly as many computer sales and a multi purpose display would net it' sales.

I agree that was part of my consideration as well...had been burnt with the Thunderbolt Display before, wanted something with more options.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The only displays that are interesting in that list, from the perspective of a photographer or graphic artist, are the 5K and 4K units just released by LG. I would not consider anything less.

They're the only ones supporting a DCI-P3 wide color gamut. Still, with respect to display calibration, I doubt they have the capability of the NEC Spectraview displays. Outside of that, they *appear* to be nice displays.

On the 5K unit the single cable also supports laptop audio to display speakers and the display's webcam (in addition to display data, display control from the MBP, and MBP 85 watt charging), and an additional three USB C 3.1 ports on the back. All of that's pretty neat and a decent price!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.