Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haggis444

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Cincinnati
I think I saw that the Ultrafines allow volume to be controlled with they Mac keys, do any of the others allow that? So nice to reach up an inch to do that vs reaching to the monitor. Thanks in advance.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Just wanted to say again how insane it is Apple "worked with LG", and the main change was they ADDED **HUGE** uneven bezels to the monitors. That was Apple's contribution to the bezel less LG designs.

No, they also obviously made LG remove all the alternative inputs and drink the USB-C-only Kool Aid. Look what you get with the other third party displays...

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Just wanted to say again how insane it is Apple "worked with LG", and the main change was they ADDED **HUGE** uneven bezels to the monitors. That was Apple's contribution to the bezel less LG designs.

Bravo.

Do you have a source supporting your assertion the bezels were Apple's contribution?

Reactions: ErikGrim

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I've got the LG 27UD88 which I bought initially for my 12" rMB. Only problem was that laptop could only do 4k at 30hz so it wasn't the best...but now with my new 13" rMBP I can run it at 4k 60hz and it even supports scaled resolutions (which the MB didn't at all) so I can run it at "effective" 1440p to get more usable screen real estate.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is if there is a way I can daisy chain two of them to get two displays plugged in over a single usb cable. I'm not sure it is possible with this model without buying an extra hub that connects between them.

Reactions: hassaan22

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
My early 2015 13' MBP is acting wonky right now. I am in touch with applecare. However, with all these news articles talking about how this or that adapter/dock will or won't work, or is not working properly, is really going to make either first time buyers, or those who are in need of new hardware, really consider switching. There are laptops out there that do have USB-C port(s) but also HDMI or even displayport. Will TB3 become standard? Of course. But I feel that forcing all these adapters will cost apple customers. Most consumers won't understand why they need an adapter for their hard drive and monitor. Apple's whole concept is plug and play. This is pay, plug, play. And that assumes all the adapters work.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The display's Thunderbolt 3 port enables pass-through charging to the new MacBook Pro at up to a full 85W.

So, serious non-snarky question:

If you hook up a new 15" MBP to one of the 3rd party displays that only provides 60 Watts, will it:

(a) Work as normal, but just charge a bit slowly
(b) Run normally, but not increase the charge on the battery unless you sleep it (like an iPad on a low-power USB connection)
(c) Gradually run the battery down

...?

Steveuk82

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
So, serious non-snarky question:

If you hook up a new 15" MBP to one of the 3rd party displays that only provides 60 Watts, will it:

(b) Run normally, but not increase the charge on the battery unless you sleep it (like an iPad on a low-power USB connection)

...?

It should charge it. The LG 4K provides 60w and on the Apple Store it mentions that 60w will charge your macbookpro.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
I'm with you on the Ethernet interface thing, and I think you nailed it when you said Apple eliminated it for thinness reasons. Given TB3's increased bandwidth (heck, even TB2 would do!), I Apple or someone else comes out with a 10GBE adapter.

Of course that's why. My MacBook with the lid closed is almost thinner than an Ethernet port.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Luckily I have never experienced 5k so this screen is extra impressive to me
[doublepost=1479334108][/doublepost]

I agree that was part of my consideration as well...had been burnt with the Thunderbolt Display before, wanted something with more options.

It is the same clarity that your MBP's screen looks like... Imagine that in 27"... Yup, that's 5K. I debating whether or not I can live with this 38"... Just not crisp enough for these eyes.

Reactions: ignatius345

lennyeiger

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
Why would anyone want a monitor that could only do sRGB vs one that could do the entire Adobe RGB 1998?
The other ones only do P3, a movie gamut. Why can't they get this right?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
"Hey! Just blew $3k on an overpriced laptop that you can't natively charge your overpriced iPhone from without another dongle!?!
You need another cable not a dongle for this. Apple has sold USB-C to Lightning cables for about a year now. I guess you would have wanted Apple to ship the iPhone with both USB-C to Lightning and USB-A to Lightning cables.
[doublepost=1479339540][/doublepost]
"Can or can not. There is no 'up to'." Steve Jodas.
What is meant with 'up to' is that the laptop can draw up to 60 W. But if you connect the 12" MB, it will only draw 29 W because that is what its charging circuit is designed for. If you connect a new 13" MBP, it will draw 60 W (because it has a charging circuit built for 61 W). Phrased differently, the display will provide as much power as the laptop requests, up to a request of 60 W. It won't go higher.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Sigh -- if only the Mini were updated to run a retina display like one of these. I held out for a while hoping it would see an update, but ended up buying a 5K iMac -- I'd been hoping to keep the CPU and monitor decoupled so I could upgrade the machine from time to time without tossing out a perfectly good display. I'm happy with the iMac, but a Retina-capable Mini feels like a slam-dunk to me.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Its funny that the lack of firewire to usb-c adapter is the only thing preventing me from buying a macbook pro.
Yeah, you need a TB3 dock for that. The size of overlapping group between owners of USB-C computers and owners of FW devices probably is smaller than the overlap between TB1/2 computer owners and FW device owners (which warranted a dedicated TB1/2 to FW adaptor).

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
I'm with you on the Ethernet interface thing, and I think you nailed it when you said Apple eliminated it for thinness reasons. Given TB3's increased bandwidth (heck, even TB2 would do!), I Apple or someone else comes out with a 10GBE adapter.

I doubt Apple will eliminate ethernet from DESKtop computers like the Mac Pro or Mini if they ever get updated. They eliminated from the laptop as its meant to be carried around, and most places (e.g. hotels, coffee shops, etc.) on the go now use wifi.
[doublepost=1479339996][/doublepost]
Sigh -- if only the Mini were updated to run a retina display like one of these. I held out for a while hoping it would see an update, but ended up buying a 5K iMac -- I'd been hoping to keep the CPU and monitor decoupled so I could upgrade the machine from time to time without tossing out a perfectly good display. I'm happy with the iMac, but a Retina-capable Mini feels like a slam-dunk to me.
Apples plan is always to extract the most money from you. They update the iMac first and wait and wait to get the hold outs to purchase. Once they have purchased it, they will then release an updated mini.

Reactions: ignatius345

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I have no idea in what way the existence of a USB-C to VGA adaptor proves that a TB1/2 to VGA (or HDMI/DVI) adaptor can be used together with the TB3 to TB2 adaptor.
[doublepost=1479340092][/doublepost]
I just wanna drop in and say I find it extremely bisarre to see Apple outsource the production of their screens to LG. Yet stil somehow claiming to also be an Apple product.
Where are they claiming that it is an Apple product? Selling it at apple.com does not equate with a claim that it is an Apple product.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Apples plan is always to extract the most money from you. They update the iMac first and wait and wait to get the hold outs to purchase. Once they have purchased it, they will then release an updated mini.

And, so far, it's always worked. If I had more time and less money, I'd be quite inclined to try my hand at the Hackintosh game...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
And that right there is why I'm getting the 5K display. That 25% off until January is too good to pass up. Say what you will about the bezels, but they're not that obnoxious, and it fully charges a 15" MBP, transfers data at 3.1 speed for external devices
It is my understanding of TB3 (and 5K displays using TB3), that you can put TB3 storage devices (or even a TB3 dock) in between the monitor and the laptop. After what the display needs, there should still be more than 10 Gbit/s available for other uses on that TB3 chain.
[doublepost=1479340604][/doublepost]
I'm coming from an Apple Thunderbolt Display. From what we've used (also priced in the $1k range), the LG design is unacceptable. I'll never understand why they couldn't just give us the iMac sans computer (same connectors too). I say unacceptable, but I'll be buying it anyway lol.
When the next iMac with TB3 comes out, it might support Target Display mode again. Then you can use it as $1800 Apple 'monitor' (you might get some money by selling the RAM and the HDD for parts, don't know if you could also remove the CPU and the graphic card).
[doublepost=1479341024][/doublepost]

Isn't the answer obvious? It depends on how much you stress the computer. If you compare the battery life in various tests, there is easily a factor of three between the power consumption under heavy and under light load. If they 15" MBP needs 87 W under full load, it might only need 29 W under light load. Therefore for most uses, I'd say it simply charges more slowly. How often do you really stress your computer (to the point that fans really kick into action)?
[doublepost=1479341134][/doublepost]
In recent iterations, the Mac Mini got the internals of the 13" MBP. So I would say that if/when the Mini is updated it will be able to drive a 5K display.
[doublepost=1479341387][/doublepost]
Why would anyone want a monitor that could only do sRGB vs one that could do the entire Adobe RGB 1998?
Because most people look at the price difference and say 'No, thank you'. Largely because they don't fully understand what wide gamut means. Nor would they know which of their applications are fully colour-managed. And most will shoot JPEG pictures (iPhone 7 users excepted) and view JPEG pictures from others which will be sRGB (by default and generally for a good reason).
[doublepost=1479341499][/doublepost]
Do you have a source supporting your assertion the bezels were Apple's contribution?
I think that was somebody almost believing his or her own sarcasm.

BreadofWonder

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2016
Step 1... buy a PC and not a Mac..
Why are you even here?
[doublepost=1479343004][/doublepost]
"Hey! Just blew $3k on an overpriced laptop that you can't natively charge your overpriced iPhone from without another dongle!?! Well, have I got a deal for you! How about dropping another $1500 on a monitor!"

Who can afford this stuff?
Professional graphics people (photographers, artists, etc.). These monitors and the more expensive configurations of the macs weren't made for the average joe user.

Reactions: ImaxGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.