Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hello, my user folder states that it contains 44,22 GB of data, but the files and folders inside it sum up to a total of 8,19 GB, so from where the heck those 36,03 GB come from?! Are there hidden files/folders?!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Download and run OmniDiskSweeper It will provide a sorted list of your files/folders and show you where all your space is going. It includes system and hidden folderes

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
in Finder is show hidden files and folders enabled? if not, enable that to see as well.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm guessing the user Library folder isn't visible, and so not included in your count.
The biggest thing there is likely to be backups for iPhones or iPads.
You can check what backups are being kept in iTunes, and delete all but the most recent.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I'm guessing the user Library folder isn't visible, and so not included in your count.
The biggest thing there is likely to be backups for iPhones or iPads.
You can check what backups are being kept in iTunes, and delete all but the most recent.

Thank you guys!

You're right there's no library folder showed inside my user folder, how do I make it to show?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In the terminal type this
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

To reset it back to hidden
chflags hidden ~/Library

OSX updates can reset the flags so you may need to reapply these after doing an update

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you guys!

You're right there's no library folder showed inside my user folder, how do I make it to show?
Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion and ML. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion and ML:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible in Finder by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.