Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
Odd. As shown above I had zero signal impact. Field test showed no change with the case on vs off.

Have you tested with the iPhone field test to see real impact?

I drove with GPS today as well and no issues.

I haven't used field test, but can easily reproduce the issue with this case. It is manifest mostly where the signal strength is already weak (remember the iP4 issues...).

Speedtest confirms the problem:
same room as router -- 20mbs with or without case
2 rooms away - 5mbps without, 2 with case
4 rooms away - 1mbps without, doesn't connect with case

Is yours the same case?

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I also have had the Vapor Pro version on my iPhone since Nov 26. I have had no reception degradation as compared to my plastic Monoprice bumper.

I have noticed that some here have confused this VaporPro (aluminum +plastic) with the Vapor 5 (all aluminum). Perhaps this explains the discrepancy with the reception degradation that people are experiencing.

BTW, I own an original Vapor 4 by Element and the signal impact on my iPhone 4 is absolutely horrible! Clearly the all metal bumpers are not compatible with the iPhone 4/5 designs.

neoweapon

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
San Diego
I also have had the Vapor Pro version on my iPhone since Nov 26. I have had no reception degradation as compared to my plastic Monoprice bumper.

I have noticed that some here have confused this VaporPro (aluminum +plastic) with the Vapor 5 (all aluminum). Perhaps this explains the discrepancy with the reception degradation that people are experiencing.

BTW, I own an original Vapor 4 by Element and the signal impact on my iPhone 4 is absolutely horrible! Clearly the all metal bumpers are not compatible with the iPhone 4/5 designs.

Yea, i had the vapor 5 which is all aluminum and the reception is horrible with that. I;m still waiting for my Vapor Pro5

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I am selling my silver Caseswill Vapor Pro for the iphone 5. Please PM me for details. Shipping from Los Angeles, CA.

BRAND NEW.

stanlehh

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
The case doesn't affect my cellular nor wifi signal. Still showing up as 5 bars with or without it.

Uk123

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
I have the vapor pro and no drop in signal. I had the 4 and the 5 is just as good. About to other the sector.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
After a month of usage, sadly I have to say the vapor pro DOES takes of a bit of the signal and wifi strengths;-(
I didn't want to except the fact but .... Can't change the fact.

Field test show about -2 in signal with case on.
Wifi shows slight reduction. ..just look at the list of wifi network in the setting : u would see less available networks with the case on. The speedyest is a bit less too.

Bottom line: the case does affect the signal strength ; but very little !
(I have compared two iPhone 5 in same situations.)

I will test the sector case soon....not too hopefull though.
I might have to hybrid ( half aluminum half plastic/wood) Atomic or element Ronin.

Seed me

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
The lower the field test value the better. The number is similar to ping or the distance to the cell tower.

I really want a nickel brown iPhone 5 case. I wish someone in China would make one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.