Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Is that a serious statement? How does that statement in any way, shape, or form mean its not coming?

Because that entire press release is, more or less, taunting. You don't taunt potential business partners, particularly not in the press.

Seems more like they are in talks already to me... if not a done deal.

Is that a serious statement?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
To top off my recent frustrations... I dropped and shattered the iphone today.
F*****************K!!!!! (Imagine in a blood-curdling monkey scream voice)

Oh, that hurts. For me, I'm happy that Verizon covers my WinMo smartphone in the accidental damage plan.

... and I don't have a problem with dropped calls.

Dropped phone - covered.

Dropped calls - don't have them.

ckhris

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
I'll go back to verizon provided they don't lock anything down. Verizon here in Houston was definately better for me but I'm willing to sacrafice service for the phone.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Wow. If you used that sort of language when calling AT&T, no wonder you have bad service. I used to work in technical support at my company a few years ago and so I have to tell you that if you treat people badly you will get bad service.

True that - I've never had anything but courteous encounters with AT&T reps, who've always been more than happy to accommodate requests for plan adjustments, etc.

Giving them attitude only seems to increase the likelihood of reciprocation in kind - they've been very generous in granting bonus minutes, texts, etc.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
"Verizon Wireless has even made upgrades that would make its network more capable of handling extra traffic that would be generated by the iPhone, Verizon Wireless Chief Technology Officer Anthony Melone says in an interview.

"We have put things in place already," Melone tells Bloomberg BusinessWeek. "We are prepared to support that traffic.""

So I guess Verizon wasn't prepared as much as they claim seeing as how they only saw a 1000% increase in data use and yet still according to their quote had to "make upgrades", "put things in place" in order to be "prepared to support that traffic" which apparently would have stymied Verizon if they had to contend with the 5000% data increase that AT&T had to deal with. :eek:

Hey Verizon, you know where you can stick that "There's a Map for That!" :rolleyes:

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC
Hopefully Apple will see that AT&T and the iPhone need to part ways. When I had Verizon I loved it. I didn't have the iPhone nor used data as much as I do now..but the service was always amazing. If Verizon ever ends up getting the iPhone I would pay cancelation fee (which knowing AT&T will be jacked up for iPhone users trying to make the switch) in a heartbeat and switch..

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Was Verizon ready in 2007

AT&T has a terrible network. Apple and Verizon would have both made tremendous amounts of money if they just tried harder to make a deal with each other in 2007.

Being a long time customer of Verizon I know from experience how many of my telephone's features were disabled. In 2077 I do not believe that Verizon was willing to give up the needed control to Apple. Two things have happened since then that points to possible changes needed at Verizon to make the iPhone work. First Verizon has been quite hands off with the Motorola Droid smartphone. This was partly because they saw the success that the iPhone has had at AT&T & they want some now.

With both AT&T & Verizon having the iPhone the network demand would probably be smaller for AT&T & thus smaller for Verizon. This together should help the iPhone network user have a better faster connection. AT&T would be preferred in areas that they have better coverage than Verizon while Verizon would do better in areas that they have better coverage. For those that move around they can just stay with AT&T or Verizon using the same cell phone connection rule of going with the system that works the best most of the time.

This would help both companies do better. Now only if Apple will be able to make a phone for the Verizon network. Then they bot must come to the proper agreements. The Droid on Verizon shows that Verizon has it in them. Their other smart & dumb phones have show why the iPhone would never have worked on Verizon back in 2007.

ssteve

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
What's wrong with you people? Voice + data at the same time? Can't you just carry on a conversation w/o HAVING to text someone else at the same time? No wonder our society is deteriorating!

You are so right. and society is going fast too.....

Terminal.app

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Would Visual Voice mail work on Verizon?

Yep, I'm using it now on my BlackBerry 9630.

Verizon wasn't willing to be Steve's bitch and AT&T was.

Perhaps, but it ended up backfiring badly. AT&T has been (daringly) making Apple their bitch, and they will probably soon feel the wrath. :D

If AT&T had refused, then the next call would have been to T-Mobile or Sprint.

T-Mobile's network is even more of a joke than AT&T's. No chance in hell of that happening, then or ever.

Better to actually deliver 1.4 to your customers, than to promise a theoretical 7.2 and drop calls and fall back to EDGE.

Exactly.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Given that Verizon is ready, AT&T should end its exclusive arrangement with Apple because then a percentage of its customers will switch to other carriers, which will put less demand on their data network, thereby improving their service! :)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Better to actually deliver 1.4 to your customers, than to promise a theoretical 7.2 and drop calls and fall back to EDGE.

Except for the realization that Edge has been reaching close to 1.2 at this time - not so shabby, by comparison.

Access to data while on a voice call is, IMO, a far greater value for me, than not having that capability at all.

3G access in the vicinity of large cities has been pretty reliable, for the most part, with noticeable improvement over the past year.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Except for the realization that Edge has been reaching close to 1.2 at this time - not so shabby, by comparison.

Access to data while on a voice call is, IMO, a far greater value for me, than not having that capability at all.

3G access in the vicinity of large cities has been pretty reliable, for the most part, with noticeable improvement over the past year.

Gah, damn US Mobile Market. Why won the NZ Gov do something about our Duopolies.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
You can blame this mostly on Lobbyists, for a start.

I think you misread my statement. Or I mis-typed it.

You lucky B@stards in the US, you get such healthy Cellphone Competition compared to New Zealand. The government wont do anything about the Telecom and Vodafone duopoly and for a long time the lowest text price was 20c and the lowest call price was 80c + Termination rates. 2degrees is trying to do something but they cant do much until they get all their own towers set up.

This is why I dont get all the complaining that you yanks spout. You guys are waaaay better off than other countries... apart from Europe.... and Aisa.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I think you misread my statement. Or I mis-typed it.

You lucky B@stards in the US, you get such healthy Cellphone Competition compared to New Zealand. The government wont do anything about the Telecom and Vodafone duopoly and for a long time the lowest text price was 20c and the lowest call price was 80c + Termination rates. 2degrees is trying to do something but they cant do much until they get all their own towers set up.

This is why I dont get all the complaining that you yanks spout. You guys are waaaay better off than other countries... apart from Europe.... and Aisa.

I'm with you on this - I really don't relate to the relentless ranting, and bi****** about cell phone companies, here in the US.

Sure, there's room for improvement, but rates have dropped significantly since fifteen years ago, as reliability and extras (roll over minutes, free calls to cell phones for AT&T customers) have increased.

Hope a start-up company shakes things up, soon, for you, down under, so as to pull those exorbitant, 'highway robbery' rates down under, as well.

Surklyn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Well, I guess I have no reason to bitch at AT&T anymore. Whether it was coincidence or not, I’ve been hounding AT&T’s “Mark the Spot” iPhone app with dropped call and data failure (from inside my home) reports everyday since it debuted.

As of Monday this week, I went from one to three bars INSIDE my house (with horrible call quality and many dropped calls) and around 100-150 kbit/s of 3G data to five full bars constantly INSIDE my house with 1700 kbit/s of 3G data consistently (according to SpeedTest’s iPhone app).

That’s faster than a lot of people’s DSL and cable Internet.

Verizon will get the iPhone eventually. At this point, I think Apple will likely wait until LTE is deployed, but they may offer them a CDMA version since they apparently produce a special iPhone model just for China.

I agree!! LOL. I got no bars in my house with AT&T. (Infact, this is the ONLY reason why I haven't been happy with AT&T.) As of 2 days ago, I consistently get 2 bars!! (It's not 5 bars but I get signal in my HOUSE!!) Amen. AT&T solved my problem. Happy customer again.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
What's wrong with you people? Voice + data at the same time? Can't you just carry on a conversation w/o HAVING to text someone else at the same time? No wonder our society is deteriorating!

Uh huh. And whilst your surfing the web, nobody can call you. Very nice.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I'm with you on this - I really don't relate to the relentless ranting, and bi****** about cell phone companies, here in the US.

Sure, there's room for improvement, but rates have dropped significantly since fifteen years ago, as reliability and extras (roll over minutes, free calls to cell phones for AT&T customers) have increased.

Hope a start-up company shakes things up, soon, for you, down under, so as to pull those exorbitant, 'highway robbery' rates down under, as well.

There is a start up company, but they cant offer prepay plans until the green areas become blue.

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/coverage

Yes and all this contract BS is non-news to residence of Aus and NZ. NZ is prepay country.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Ten years ago, I was lucky to get 10 Kbps on a cell. And it was charged per minute of connection, not by the byte. Surfing the web slowly was expensive !

In the USA now, we all pay just one dollar a day for 200Kbps - 2Mbps comms anywhere we go. Incredible deal.

Uh huh. And whilst your surfing the web, nobody can call you. Very nice.

That's only true of GSM EDGE. CDMA implements voice priority, so incoming calls always pause the data connection and allow the user to choose. Not ideal, but better.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
To people saying that the iPhone going to Verizon will be bad because they can't use it outside of the US:

not everyone that owns an iPhone travels internationally all the time.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
AT&T has a terrible network. Apple and Verizon would have both made tremendous amounts of money if they just tried harder to make a deal with each other in 2007.

OBVIOUSLY, since Apple and AT&T made tremendous amounts of money!

As far as tried harder, WTF does that mean?! Apple laid down their demands, Verizon told them to shove it. Verizon has regretted it ever since.

kdarling

macrumors P6
To people saying that the iPhone going to Verizon will be bad because they can't use it outside of the US:
not everyone that owns an iPhone travels internationally all the time.

The USA iPhone was always a bad choice for an international phone anyway, since it's locked down to ATT, can't use local SIMs and doesn't have a way to transfer contacts onto a SIM.

Except for the Droids, most of the latest smartphones on Verizon have been dual mode CDMA+GSM/UMTS. And they'll unlock the GSM side if asked.

If Apple were to make a deal with Verizon, it seems most likely that the next iPhone would be dual mode CDMA+GSM as well. That way, there's only one hardware design.

(LTE isn't widespread enough to support yet.)

junker

macrumors 6502
Wow. If you used that sort of language when calling AT&T, no wonder you have bad service. I used to work in technical support at my company a few years ago and so I have to tell you that if you treat people badly you will get bad service.

For 1 through 5, call AT&T calmly and tell them your situation. Ask them if they could refresh your settings on their end then turn off your iPhone and back on again. Next, go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network settings.

Your phone will give you a progress bar (do not panic or turn off the phone), it will then reboot automatically. Now try out your phone.

PS. You're welcome.

I will try that thanks.

Otherwise your post is a bit assumptive and rude as well. Did I ever state that I called and tried to deal with a rep with bad language? You must be referring to my frustration at breaking my phone after having had many bad experiences with the network... well, I won't apologize for being frustrated or having a good time with said expression. Please note I tried to have fun with it by indicating the parallel monkey scream.

Advice is well appreciated and will be pursued, but the presumption that I speak to a rep like that is off-base. Venting frustration on an online forum about breaking your phone and suddenly starting to have bad service is different that dealing with a rep.

ichrisers

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009
doubt it

I think the iphone will stay with AT&T at least for now. Apple always wants to surprise there customers sooo this verizon things is NOT going to happen. AT&T will probably get another contract because that how Apple works :apple: its too hyped up to be true

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.