Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
I know this thread is about the iPad, but I just wish ATT would allow the iPhone to be a hotspot with the 3GB data plan. I'm paying for the limited data, who cares how I use it? There is not a tethering charge, but why is it only available with the higher data plan? I don't necessarily want or NEED to go over 3GB, even with tethering. I'm going to get throttled if I use too much one way or the other.

Saberj

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Should have been figured out before launch, 5-10 million people deserve to be fully informed before preorder.

Technically launch is in 8 days, so it can still be figured out before then. I think you mean that it should have been figured out before the announcement.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Advantage Verizon for now. I just changed my order from AT&T to Verizon. $20 for 1GB may be enough for me for now. Knowing AT&T, they will limit the hotspot to the $50 plan (unless Verizon's move forces their hand).

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPads are cool, but honestly between my MacBook Air and my iPhone 4S I really have no need for one. Why can't this be true for smartphones as well? haha idevice descrimination...

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
IMHO, this is a big enough issue that AT&T better step up to the plate or they will lose A LOT of potential and current customers!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wish hot spot was free with iPhone data plan instead of the ipad

iPads are cool, but honestly between my MacBook Air and my iPhone 4S I really have no need for one. Why can't this be true for smartphones as well? haha idevice descrimination...

I think the difference is that the iPad isn't subsidized. This finally seems to be a case where the carriers are taking that into consideration, even if only a little bit, when pricing data. Since they pay $400 to Apple upfront for the iPhone, they want to make that back by nickel and diming customers on messaging and data. With the iPad, they just provide the wireless service and the customer picks up the tab for the device.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Here in Canada

When IOS devices first came out, I thought we had it bad here in Canada:

-we had to wait for the 3G iPhone before we could even get one'
-we have to get 3 year contracts for the same subsidised price the Americans pay,
-a 5GB plan costs $100/month.

BUT...

-Rogers gives free included tethering (dunno about Telus or Bell, the other 2 national carrieres)
-All 3 carriers (which we've had on iPhone since 3GS) offer data sharing with other devices; no charge (at least it WAS no charge a few months ago).
-Data plans: $15 (250MB) - $35 (5GB). Telus has a betweenie plan for half a gig at $20.

Guess we don't have it so bad after all.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Best news I heard today.... 1GB plan for $20 remains and ALL Verizon plans get the tethering option. I expected both AT&T and Verizon to offer it on the $50 plan. Not only did AT&T fail to make that commitment (outright preventing tethering), Verizon came through with offering tethering on all plans.

Good to see a carrier doing the right thing. Nice job Verizon.

Also: Verizon has the best LTE coverage too (probably why they can do this -- AT&T is afraid to bog down their 3G network).

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Verizon's web page does not list this feature here and I just finished a chat with customer service rep who said other tablets but not the iPad has the hotspot feature. She specifically had to take a few minutes to find out. If Verizon is allowing this, it's a well guarded secret. And they've lost at least one sale.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I decided i was going to get an AT&T model but now I'm leaning towards the Verizon. Another thing is how fast it will be, I wonder who will be faster AT&T or Verizon? Ahh decisions :D

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Verizon has way better 4G LTE coverage, the 4G might not be as fast as AT&T, but more than fast enough for me. Plus the NFL exclusive deal is a nice bonus. Glad I went with the Verizon iPad.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
An extra charge for tethering made some sense on unlimited plans. On capped plans not only is it disingenuous to tout it as a carrier feature (it was apple after all who developed the hardware, software, and the feature in general) but just robbery if they charge extra for it (assuming you don't get any more data allowance). Heck, they are stupid to charge for it, ever. If i was the carrier I would make it as easy as possible to consume all of your data. :rolleyes:

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Advantage Verizon for now. I just changed my order from AT&T to Verizon. $20 for 1GB may be enough for me for now. Knowing AT&T, they will limit the hotspot to the $50 plan (unless Verizon's move forces their hand).

Same here. I just changed an order to a Verizon version specifically because 1gb is enough for me off-Wifi. Snooze you lose AT&T, 250mb is just pathetic.

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
Verizon's web page does not list this feature here and I just finished a chat with customer service rep who said other tablets but not the iPad has the hotspot feature. She specifically had to take a few minutes to find out. If Verizon is allowing this, it's a well guarded secret. And they've lost at least one sale.

the new iPad (3rd generation) was only announced yesterday, customer service reps probably have no info about it yet.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
Just realized AT&T is offering 3GB of data for $30.

Sorry, but since I would rarely tether from my iPad the extra GB is more than worth it to me.

Not that tethering wouldn't be nice...

voltes

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Glad I got the Verizon version. I have a mobile 4g hotspot from Verizon that I'm wondering if will work if I just swap the sim. Anybody here who owns one tried it with a smartphone?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
When IOS devices first came out, I thought we had it bad here in Canada:

-we had to wait for the 3G iPhone before we could even get one'
-we have to get 3 year contracts for the same subsidised price the Americans pay,
-a 5GB plan costs $100/month.

BUT...

-Rogers gives free included tethering (dunno about Telus or Bell, the other 2 national carrieres)
-All 3 carriers (which we've had on iPhone since 3GS) offer data sharing with other devices; no charge (at least it WAS no charge a few months ago).
-Data plans: $15 (250MB) - $35 (5GB). Telus has a betweenie plan for half a gig at $20.

Guess we don't have it so bad after all.

I'm on Bell and tethering is included. I'm paying $25 for 500 MB on top of my $30 voice plan, so $55 total.

Sadly, I can't share data between my iPad and iPhone unless I buy a special plan. I use my iPad exclusivley on WiFi in Canada with the odd bit of tethering, and only use 3G (on AT&T) when I vacation in the US.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
These data plans are all ridiculously expensive, unless it was absolutely needed for work I don't see how they would be worth it for most people. Having an iPhone means that there is free internet access through most wi-fi outlets at restaurants and coffee shops already. The average amount of data used by iPhones owners is under 300MB per month, it makes you wonder if there is really a reason for people to be spending $600 a year for data access on their iPads.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm holding out for Verizon LTE speed tests before I get too warm and fuzzy.
I've watched people get over 20Mbps indoors in downtown Minneapolis on their phones. Of course, location is everything.
Wait a minute! Did Verizon just add a 1gb/$20 plan? That wasn't in the charts posted yesterday and earlier today.

So happy if they did!
It never seems to be on the Apple website, but it is on the VZW website. Has been since the beginning, I think.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
So what i should give props for something that comon sense dictates as something that makes sense, is logical.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
the new iPad (3rd generation) was only announced yesterday, customer service reps probably have no info about it yet.
Then they're incompetent. They have a new web page devoted to the new iPad, no mention there either (I'm not saying you're wrong).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What am I missing here? Why would ATT have to work with Apple on this issue? The feature is already built into the iPad, the carrier just has to support it.

As tin eared as ATT is, they better polish something up by next Friday b/c I imagine a lot of people will be buying VZW instead or exchanging their ATTs for VZWs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.