Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
When IOS devices first came out, I thought we had it bad here in Canada:

-we had to wait for the 3G iPhone before we could even get one'
-we have to get 3 year contracts for the same subsidised price the Americans pay,
-a 5GB plan costs $100/month.

BUT...

-Rogers gives free included tethering (dunno about Telus or Bell, the other 2 national carrieres)
-All 3 carriers (which we've had on iPhone since 3GS) offer data sharing with other devices; no charge (at least it WAS no charge a few months ago).
-Data plans: $15 (250MB) - $35 (5GB). Telus has a betweenie plan for half a gig at $20.

Guess we don't have it so bad after all.

Yes you do.

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
IF AT&T enables it, rest assured it'll be only for the $50 plan.

That's EXACTLY what they are up to. Why else would they need to "work with Apple" except to allow tethering to be on a plan-by-plan basis. Guaranteed it won't be on grandfathered "unlimited" plans… which are limited to only 2GB.

Sheesh.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It doesn't surprise me that people are so quick to write off AT&T. But let's think about this a sec. I've seen some comments saying that "AT&T is greedy, they won't allow tethering." Now just think about this. If AT&T wants the money, WHY would they let Verizon upstage them? There are 8 days until launch. Just because AT&T didn't have an immediate response to this is no reason to think that things won't change before then.

That being said, I don't think it matters who you get your LTE with. They're both expensive in general, and they're both fast in the cities they cover. It'll come down to 2 things: do they cover where you live and do you travel a lot. That will be the determining factor for most people.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
hope this sticks around

Well, well, well. Verizon finally making me consider switching. If they allow this in the iPhone 5, I’m jumping ship.

Right now, I'm not in the market for an iPad, but this is the first data plan from Verizon that has really impressed me.

Hope this sticks around because next year, I may swallow my pride and go back to Verizon.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I have called and spoken with AT&T twice now and both times they said this is wrong and they will support the new iPad hotspot.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

AT&T iPad will most likely work with a Tmobile sim

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
This news just made me cancel my 64GB AT&T 4G iPad preorder. I was on the fence about really needing an upgrade over my barely-used first-gen iPad, but this has me waiting until AT&T sorts their greed out.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Unlimited Data, Unthrottled, and Hotspot Too! $30/mo

Ok, just dreaming here... Please do not wake me up!:rolleyes:
May avoid opening my iPad until all this is sorted out.
14 day return policy from delivery receipt.
Come on AT&T, I would love to have a jailbreak free install.

rugbydevildog

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
AT&T Response:

William J.: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
RJ: I recently ordered the new iPad that has LTE and WiFi - Because I'm in the Seattle market - 1. What are my data plan options? and 2. When is LTE scheduled to come to Seattle
William J.: I will be happy to help you! One moment please.
William J.: The data plans you would have to choose from would be the 300MB Data Plus for $20.00, the 3GB Data Pro for $30.00 and the 5GB Data Pro for $50.00 which comes with tethering/mobile hotspot.
William J.: I am sorry, I do not have this information. Can I help with anything else?
Richard: so tethering/hotspot will only be with the $50 - 5GB plan
Richard: ?
William J.: Yes.
RJ: is that with a contract or on a monthly basis - basically if i want to turn it off and on?
William J.: No, this would be with 2 year contract.
RJ: ok thanks

When ordering a iPad the price plans have been revised.

Last edited:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
That's what's always been so odd, to me, about U.S. carriers' stances on tethering. I believe overages is where they really make their scratch. And if true, why wouldn't they make it as simple (read: free tethering) and easy (read: free tethering) to burn through data as fast as possible (read: free tethering)?

Offer free tethering to capped data plans and dramatically increase overage odds. And charge a fee for tethering on "unlimited" data plans. As a grandfathered in unlimited data user (AT&T iPhone), this wouldn't benefit me in the least. But overall, seems win win for both parties (selfishly, I'd love to see us "old school" unlimited data plan users receive free tethering as a thank you for sticking with them since '07 - HA!).

Could it be so simple? Surely I am missing something...

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
William J.: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
RJ: I recently ordered the new iPad that has LTE and WiFi - Because I'm in the Seattle market - 1. What are my data plan options? and 2. When is LTE scheduled to come to Seattle
William J.: The data plans you would have to choose from would be the 300MB Data Plus for $20.00, the 3GB Data Pro for $30.00 and the 5GB Data Pro for $50.00 which comes with tethering/mobile hotspot.
William J.: I am sorry, I do not have this information. Can I help with anything else?
RJ: is that with a contract or on a monthly basis - basically if i want to turn it off and on?

When ordering a iPad the price plans no longer appear for AT&T and Verizon.

AT&T can stuff it. They only offer tethering with a $50 plan and they force you to sign a contract with them to get it? While not subsidizing the hardware at all?

Hilarious.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Best news I heard today.... 1GB plan for $20 remains and ALL Verizon plans get the tethering option. I expected both AT&T and Verizon to offer it on the $50 plan. Not only did AT&T fail to make that commitment (outright preventing tethering), Verizon came through with offering tethering on all plans.

Good to see a carrier doing the right thing. Nice job Verizon.

Also: Verizon has the best LTE coverage too (probably why they can do this -- AT&T is afraid to bog down their 3G network).

wait a couple of weeks and we will see two things:

ATT will raise the 15$/250MB dataplan to 500MB in order to compete better with the $20/1GB Verizon plan.

ATT will offer tethering for the 3GB and 5GB plan.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009

When ordering a iPad the price plans have been revised.

Sounds to me like William J. doesn't know what he's talking about. iPad data plans have never required a contract, and still don't.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Cancelled AT&T iPad, ordered a Verizon one. I have no loyalty between these two awful companies, but it sounds to me like the 1GB Verizon plan is perfect for a little bit of data on the go, plus tethering for emergencies. AT&T still gets my iPhone money, but only because I still have my unlimited plan with them.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I may be missing something, but are you guys noticing that for $30 you get 3GB on AT&T and only 2GB on Verizon? Thats a big difference! Its gonna take a lot more than hotspot functionality from Verizon to make up for that difference...

Slappi

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
hmmmm

ok I just went to the Verizon site and looked at all their iPad data plans and I do not see the 1gb plan for $20 anywhere.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Sucks that they couldn't cram both companies spectrum receiving doohickys into one unit. That way we could choose a better data plan more freely w/o being stuck with one carrier's model. :(

navanod

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
I'm glad I found this, I cancelled my AT&T order and changed to Verizon. I always thought AT&T had LTE service here in Oregon, but after checking to see there coverage map I was wrong. They have 4G, but no LTE. Verizon on the other hand does. I highly recommend everyone to check coverage maps for both to see what best suits your needs.

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
I just called AT&T and asked about tethering from a new iPad. The rep said that only the $50/5GB plan would allow tethering, and there is no additional charge for this. He also assured me that a contract is NOT necessary.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Cancelled AT&T iPad, ordered a Verizon one. I have no loyalty between these two awful companies, but it sounds to me like the 1GB Verizon plan is perfect for a little bit of data on the go, plus tethering for emergencies. AT&T still gets my iPhone money, but only because I still have my unlimited plan with them.

Cheers, I mirror your sentiments exactly. I'm in the same situation, and did the exact same thing, down to canceling my original AT&T iPad order!

AT&T should have anticipated this confusion and sorted things out before pre-ordering began. Now it's too late until next iPad.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I've got the AT&T version, but applaud Verizon for this fairness, and the pressure it applies to AT&T.

It's my block of data I am paying for. I should be able to use it as I please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.