Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
AT&T here with 7Plus. It happens to me to- but I notice it gets stuck more if I am using it while it loses LTE connectivity rather than losing it while its sleeping. Let's say I am in a building with poor connection that is like 1 bar 4G. If I step outside (where I know there is 5 bars LTE), it stays stuck in 4G. But if I am on the train in between stations and don't use it, it connects to LTE once I get to the next station.

AT&T here - Black phone. No issues at all with LTE under any circumstance.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Man, am I glad I purchased the GSM T-Mobile version. I could have picked the Verizon model and used it on T-Mobile, but I feared something like this.
Don't think this problem is limited to the Verizon model. There is a hugh thread on here of 3 Users i the UK having similar problems and only the GSM model is sold in the UK. The UK problem appears to be limited to one carrier 3 UK.

Here is a link to the thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...t-connect-to-4g.1997617/page-11#post-23630826

Reactions: Paulejonesy

MuzlL0dr

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Thank freak, finally made tech news. After almost 800 replies on the original thread. Hopefully they'll actually get this stuff fixed. Unfortunately, probably not before mine gets returned tonight. :(

Reactions: oneteam

stiano

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
UK
Not just a Verizon issue. I notice the same with Three in the U.K. Stuck on 3G, do a reset of network settings and boom back on 4G until it goes again.

I have the exact same issue. iPhone 7 Plus on Three in the UK :(

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
T-Mobile had an issue too with the iPhone 7. I had to keep switching to airplane mode and back again until the latest minor iOS 10 update came out.
I've been keeping my eye on this issue and the humming issue until stores get the 7 back in stock.
Heh, looks like Karma, wasn't Verizons CEo bagging on T-MO when T-mo was having this problem?

Max Portakabin

Suspended
Sep 25, 2014
Thank freak, finally made tech news. After almost 800 replies on the original thread. Hopefully they'll actually get this stuff fixed. Unfortunately, probably not before mine gets returned tonight. :(

If the LTE problem is the only issue and it's not mission critical for you, I'd hang on for a software update.

Reactions: rneglia

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Thank you macrumors for elevating this issue. Verizon service here. I use an iPhone 7, and my wife uses an iPhone 6. Both are running iOS10.0.2 currently. My iPhone 7 will regularly lose LTE service and go to no service, 1x, and then 3g. The iPhone 6 in the same locations at the same time never loses LTE service. Hopefully a fix is coming soon. I don't care if it is an iOS issue, a Verizon issue, or both. This simply needs a fix.

heymonroe

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm on Verizon with a 7 on 10.1 and can't say that I've noticed this issue. That being said, I also have not noticed "LTE Advanced" yet anywhere aside from the commercials about it every 8 minutes. I've been to Portland, Denver & San Francisco with this phone so far and no LTE Advanced to be found. Maybe I've been unlucky.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I'm on Verizon with a 7 on 10.1 and can't say that I've noticed this issue. That being said, I also have not noticed "LTE Advanced" yet anywhere aside from the commercials about it every 8 minutes. I've been to Portland, Denver & San Francisco with this phone so far and no LTE Advanced to be found. Maybe I've been unlucky.

And how do you expect to find LTE advanced?

Reactions: i hate phones

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Are you constantly doing speed tests? because that's the only way you'll know if you're on it...

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
No problems here, when I first got the phone it wouldn't load a page I called Verizon restarted the phone works perfect and haven't had a problem since.

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
This has been happening for me on my AT&T device for the past year on my 6s and on my 7. If I lose service (on the subway in NYC) or simply inside a building with little or no LTE, when I move to an area with LTE coverage, it'll be stuck on 4G (which is super slow) until I turn airplane mode on/off. Just thought it was normal and happened to everyone, but I guess not?

rojodiabolo

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
Not just a Verizon issue. I notice the same with Three in the U.K. Stuck on 3G, do a reset of network settings and boom back on 4G until it goes again.
... Hey I am also in UK using iPhone 7 Plus on mobile network "Three", and I have noticed the same issue, stuck on 3G most of the time

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Thought it was just me and also a glitch. Sometimes a call will drop and I need to either switch to airplane mode or restart the phone as it won’t hang up.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Own iPhone 6s, Verizon, did recent update to 10.0.2, no LTE problems. This issue stopped me from purchasing any iPhone 7 model. Until this Verizon LTE issue is resolved, and until the car audio bluetooth problems are fixed, we're sticking with iPhone 6s.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Once again, it seems like I've dodged the bullet with this device. After having problems with the 6 Plus and 6s, my Jet Black iPhone 7 on Verizon is phenomenal. I'll watch out for this, but so far I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I feel the same way. My 7 Plus on AT&T has been great so far (it's a Sprint model, unlocked on iUP, and being used on AT&T).

My VZW 7 seems to be plagued with a constant one dot of service, even in places where I had 5 dots on my iPhone 6. My speed tests have also been lower for wifi and cellular.

This is the only real difference I've noticed between the 6S Plus I had and the 7 Plus I have now. I'm consistently showing only one dot, though it seems like my speeds are just as fast if not faster than the S7 Edge I had before. It does jump to 2-3-4-5 dots when I'm driving around, hitting different areas that might have stronger signal, but at my home and office, I stay consistently on one dot where the 6S Plus would've normally had 3 dots. I've yet to see the phone drop off LTE to 4G, though.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open now to make sure I don't have the issue described in this post.

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
i had the problem on and off with my iPhone 7 Plus Matt Black running Os 10.1 beta, but my iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black 10.0.2 it has not show up so far.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
I will have to pay more attention. Can't say that I've noticed this moving off of WiFi.

Same here. If anything, at home my wifi has been flaky. I think that's Comcast and not the phone. (A 7, on VZW).

I did have an issue last night though with the phone freezing and then becoming totally non responsive with a black screen....like it became bricked for no reason at all. Thought it really was bricked, but it resolved itself within a minute or so. It was under no strain at the time. Just random.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I think the only solution is for everyone awaiting delivery of a Verizon iPhone with a quoted delivery date ahead of mine to cancel their order. Worth a shot, right?

Reactions: ABC5S

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Just got back from returning my 7+ to the apple store. Losing connectivity completely several times per day was just affecting my business too much. I have a long commute to/from work and need to make a ton of business calls during that time, and being unable to call, or having calls dropped doesn't work for me. If they fix it I'll definitely consider getting another one though.

Reactions: nrose101

Swazaloo

Cancelled
Jan 3, 2014
There is definitely something going on regarding the carrier connection. I'm on PC Mobile in Canada, they operate off the Telus network.

I'm using an iPhone 7 running iOS 10.0.2.

Problem 1
If I restart the phone OR toggle airplane mode, the carrier gets stuck on "Searching". This only happens when "Enable LTE" is on.

Problem 2
If I turn "Enable LTE" off, then back on again, the carrier gets stuck on "No Service".

Temporary Solution
Making a phone call instantly connects to the carrier and everything works perfectly... until I restart the phone, toggle airplane mode, or toggle LTE.

Trouble Shooting (nothing works)
I've tried pretty much everything:
  • Update carrier settings
  • Reset network settings
  • Restore from iTunes
  • Replacement SIM card from carrier
  • Replacement iPhone 7 from Apple

Reactions: rneglia and idunn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.