Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
How do you "win" a platform war?

Does Google win because they have so many devices running their Android OS? *Marketshare*

Or does Apple win because you have to buy their hardware in order to get iOS? *Profit*

Or can we just agree that both platforms are doing insanely well in their respective ways?

Heck, I'd go so far as to say, "Both platforms are doing insanely well." Period. Dead stop. End of sentence.

I've never understood the mindset that things for one group to do well everyone else must do poorly. How about the expression, "A rising tide lifts all boats."

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
No in bogo they BOTH make money. Verizon, Att, Tmobile and Sprint have already paid retail for the phone before customers recieve the contract price. Apple, Samsung, HTC etc have already made their money. Telcos now have to make their money over time with the contract.

So Bogo makes them money also.

There are no android devices of any kind that outsell the iPhone. Not even the cheap ones, not even the free ones. There are no phones at all that outsell the iPhone 4 worldwide. In the US they all also fall below the 3GS and the iPhone 4.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
How about the expression, "A rising tide lifts all boats."

All boats except Symbian (it's too huge a s[t]inking ship to be lifted by any tide) and Windows Phone 7 ( they made a paper boat in the hope of getting lifted but sadly it looks like the tide is too big for it to ride)

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Android doesnt really cater to the female population unless they are tech nerds. Apple caters to anyone that doesnt care about manipulating your phone. Im actually kinda shocked android has more devices using its OS than Apple does. Most people like simplicity. For me though, android is the way to go. iOS got stale a long time ago.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Not surprising the iPhone 3GS was #2.

Not surprising...because it sells for $49?

If I were in the market for a smartphone and could choose a $49 iPhone 3GS vs. a $199+ iPhone 4 vs. a $199+ Android...I would very very seriously consider the 3GS since it is AT LEAST 4x cheaper...and in reality, does 99% of the iPhone 4 (I have the 3GS and as far as I can tell the 4 simply added Facetime and a front camera for facetime use).

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Im actually kinda shocked android has more devices using its OS than Apple does.

Why? Any manufacturer can grab it for free instead of paying a fee. Makes sense they would flood the market with lots of copycat Android models. Just look at the Asian market where there are hundreds of Android phones, many of whom are Android in name only (cannot use the Android App market, etc.) but useful to the knockoff phone manufacturer who can grab it free, slap it into their devices and sell their stuff as "Android" to the marketplace. Given that there are hundreds of different Android model phones, it's a wonder it isn't even more popular than it is.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
All boats except Symbian (it's too huge a s[t]inking ship to be lifted by any tide) and Windows Phone 7 ( they made a paper boat in the hope of getting lifted but sadly it looks like the tide is too big for it to ride)

Ok, sure. There's exceptions for boats which have been so neglected they're keels have rusted out (Symbian), and boats with cast-lead structural members (WinP7)... :p

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
I'm honestly surprised by a lot of you. The whole "no single android phone outsells the iPhone!" argument, is foolish and weak. It's a platform war. You basically get ONE CHOICE with the iPhone. Now it's a great choice, but of course it's going to be a top seller as a result. There are so many good Android choices out there that a single model isn't going to dwarf the others. Since there are, you know, options? As a platform it seems iOS is getting whooped on. Does that not register, or are people that much in denial?

Now myself, I like my iPhone, but come on...in this case we are talking about platforms...So weird...

No, it's not a war; the only people who consider it a war are the people who will do anything to prove Apple isn't an innovative and in many ways cutting edge company. Competition? Yes. Competition is good. But if you really look, the majority of Android phones available on the open market sell for less than $100 and most of those sell for less than $50. So for Apple to offer its older model in the same price range is only leveling the field and proving that it's not just Android, but the price that is driving Android's sales so fast. Compete in the same ball fields at the same pricing and you see that Apple picks up many of those people who claimed they couldn't afford one or didn't want to switch to a different provider.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Not surprising...because it sells for $49?

If I were in the market for a smartphone and could choose a $49 iPhone 3GS vs. a $199+ iPhone 4 vs. a $199+ Android...I would very very seriously consider the 3GS since it is AT LEAST 4x cheaper...and in reality, does 99% of the iPhone 4 (I have the 3GS and as far as I can tell the 4 simply added Facetime and a front camera for facetime use).

That's pretty faulty math there. In reality, it's not 4x cheaper.
Pick AT&T:s cheapest plan, and you would pay $1369 for the 3GS and plan, for a 4 you would pay $1520 for the phone and plan. So you pay 90% of the cost of a 4 with plan and you'll only get an 3GS, a phone that's already passed by the 4, and will shortly be passed by 4S or 5.

I can't understand anyone who would consider buying a 3GS instead of a 4.
If you're unable to pay another $150 to get a 4, then you probably should wait until 5 or 4S arrives, or just start saving money.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
There is no way that Apple's model can compete on absolute sales to the multi-device approach of their competition. But that's only a tiny part of the picture.
Why not?
What's more they are likely to hold on to the upper end of the demographic, just as they do in personal computers. Their customers will be high earners who will buy music and apps and other content. They'll be invested in the ecosystem in a way which Android users will not be.

I'm really skeptical of this point - I'm not really sure that Apple has the upper end of the demographic now when it comes to phones. Everyone who buys a smartphone is paying ~$2,000 over the life of their contract for service, and the phones are roughly comparable in price to each other, particularly when you factor in the total cost of ownership. Meanwhile, the vast majority of apps cost less than $5, with most being 99c. (I would also suspect that people in their 20's making less than $30,000 per year would buy more apps than lawyers in their 50's making $300,000 per year.)

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Obviously Google has the same opinion as other Android fans... marketshare is king.

Although... in the business world... cash is king.

Congratulations Google... you now have a lot of marketshare. What are you gonna do with it?

Oh yeah... you're an advertising company. I forgot!

And thats just it.

Google hasn't found a way to capitalizes on its smart phone market share.

So even if they get 75% of the market and Apple keeps its 25%, in terms of revenue Apple is still going to "win".

Sined

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
And thats just it.

So even if they get 75% of the market and Apple keeps its 25%, in terms of revenue Apple is still going to "win".

In the long term it will.

iOS v Android

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
Actually it is because a 2 year old iPhone is better than any Android device out there.

Can provide proof other then sells that this phone is better then any android phone.

We all know the iPhone 4 is streets ahead of any other smartphone, but the 3GS provides a superior experience as well. It is not about spec sheets, it is about performance, software, reliability and the rest.

The iPhone 4 is not streets ahead of the competition. It is in fact streets behind the competition. It is far behind in specs. It being apple does not make it the most reliable. There are dozens of android phones more reliable the iPhone.

I agree with others that it is very telling that the 3GS outsells every single android iPhone on the market. That tells me people just buy random Androids when they go to buy a phone because they are cheaper or on deal, or if they don't have a choice to get an iPhone.

It is not like the general consumer is going "Wow this HTC magicamalcallit is so awesome. I tell all my friends to get it." or "This Samsung Soslightynotasbad is really an awesome phone and people are eating them up."

They might as well not even put labels on android phones. They are essentially a commodity compromised of a big pile of iPhone copycats with an inferior ecosystem. It almost seems like Cell Phone stores require people buying android devices to do so blindfolded.

Most HTC phones are faster then iPhones and they also look very differently then the iPhone. They run very different then iPhone their are some similarities but those are not just something ripped off from the iPhone. Samsung...Well they are Samsung. Their Galaxy S phone does look like an iPhone. But its a base model and it is sold in many different skins and shells and configurations with different names and what not. It is one of the higher selling models of android.

Android doesnt really cater to the female population unless they are tech nerds. Apple caters to anyone that doesnt care about manipulating your phone. Im actually kinda shocked android has more devices using its OS than Apple does. Most people like simplicity. For me though, android is the way to go. iOS got stale a long time ago.

Is a fact that iPhones can not meet everyones needs some people want smart phones with a full keyboard some want an SD card. People will buy android phones over iPhones because they cater to their needs. I purchased my G2 because I wanted a full keyboard and a fast proccesor. I did not purchase an iPhone because I hate AT&T and I like SD cards and a file system.

And thats just it.

I love how so many fanboys love it when Apple makes money from expensive products. When your company rips you off you don't turn around and say good job keep it up. Why do you get mad a gas companies for charging you to much but not Apple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Actually it is because a 2 year old iPhone is better than any Android device out there.

We all know the iPhone 4 is streets ahead of any other smartphone, but the 3GS provides a superior experience as well. It is not about spec sheets, it is about performance, software, reliability and the rest.

Only in the minds of the mindless.

Full of Fail

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Doppelganger

Can provide proof other then sells that this phone is better then any android phone.

The iPhone 4 is not streets ahead of the competition. It is in fact streets behind the competition. It is far behind in specs. It being apple does not make it the most reliable. There are dozens of android phones more reliable the iPhone.

Show me list of dozens, please. 24 phones minimum. i would like to see you provide even one example.

Is a fact that iPhones can not meet everyones needs some people want smart phones with a full keyboard some want an SD card. People will buy android phones over iPhones because they cater to their needs. I purchased my G2 because I wanted a full keyboard and a fast proccesor. I did not purchase an iPhone because I hate AT&T and I like SD cards and a file system.

Good thing you can get it on Verizon

I love how so many fanboys love it when Apple makes money from expensive products. When your company rips you off you don't turn around and say good job keep it up. Why do you get mad a gas companies for charging you to much but not Apple.

Different business models on how the companies make money. How does Apple rip us off? Plenty of android phones at the same price, and worse quality. I would rather Apple make money off of good products, which begets innovation, than not making money off of bad products.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I love how so many fanboys love it when Apple makes money from expensive products.

Some of us think those "expensive" products are worth every penny.

Some of us own AAPL shares and benefit from the company's success.

When your company rips you off you don't turn around and say good job keep it up.

You want rip-off? Microsoft makes its billions charging hundreds for a 10-cent CD in a dollar's worth of packaging. So does Adobe. Where's your outrage?

Nokia is dying.

Ballmer is providing mouth-to-mouth.

(Personally, I'd choose death.)

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London

So yeah, you're a geek. Geeks aren't like normal people.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
No, it's not a war; the only people who consider it a war are the people who will do anything to prove Apple isn't an innovative and in many ways cutting edge company.

Funny how its always the other .

Competition? Yes. Competition is good. But if you really look, the majority of Android phones available on the open market sell for less than $100 and most of those sell for less than $50.
Thats complete BS.

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/cell_phones_and_accessories/android

150 $

Same goes for europe

cheapest are around 150 euro .

Goes up al the way to 700 800 $

So for Apple to offer its older model in the same price range is only leveling the field and proving that it's not just Android, but the price that is driving Android's sales so fast. Compete in the same ball fields at the same pricing and you see that Apple picks up many of those people who claimed they couldn't afford one or didn't want to switch to a different provider.

Same price range? Dont see apple going down in price, not apples style .

And provider? Artgument with verizon also selling seems pointless .

iOS v Android

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
So yeah, you're a geek. Geeks aren't like normal people.

How am i a geek. I need to be able to keep files on my phone like word docs that I can access at any computer. I prefer a Full keyboard and T-mo sucks many people have these same wants and needs out of a smart phone.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
How am i a geek. I need to be able to keep files on my phone like word docs that I can access at any computer. I prefer a Full keyboard and T-mo sucks many people have these same wants and needs out of a smart phone.

First of all, you can do that on an iPhone already. There are any number of ways to do that. Full keyboard? Yeah, tons of people want those... that's why they're selling so well!

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008

Where did I say that I am upset with the oil industry?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
If apple got their dual-band world phone out a year earlier, for all carriers, it would have made a huge difference!!!! I can't believe apple is delaying the iPhone 5!!!!!!!!!!

I am not apple, so I am probably wrong, but delaying the IPhone 5 seems like the worst business decision ever!!!!!!!!!

The iPhone 5 better be a major upgrade that makes it better than all the other devices out there, and better be on all carriers!!!!

They have the number 1 and number 2 top selling smartphones out there.

Bringing out the iPhone 5 now would be a mistake when you are sitting at the top of the heap with your current hardware.

So you push it back a bit and make the devices even better, giving you an even bigger advantage in the next generation.

Imagine the iPhone 4 sitting in the 3GS position a year from now. It will be amazing you can get a phone like that for the price it will be available for...

The android handset makers don't jump up and down with glee because Android has more overall users. It is not good for any of them individually. In fact it is bad for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.