Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My strategy if AT&T does this is to call and say I want to cancel. See what retentions can do for me.
They might throw some rollover minutes your way, but they probably wouldn't be able to undo a general rate increase. I went ahead and ordered a subsidized device to extend my contract. I'm not giving up my $68 all-in rate (including taxes), so as long as I can recover my cost on an onward sale (surely someone won't care about buying a locked device) this is the "safest" route.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Still under contract with unlimited data due to upgrade loopholes. Nice try, Verizon...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I doubt it, usually he contracts have fine print allowing the carrier to do whatever they want, and if they make a change you don't like you can cancel without paying the ETF. Considering they want people off of unlimited plans I could see them taking that risk and raising the price anyway.
The Apple glitch generated new accounts for them (that's how it worked), so I doubt they would go through the hassle since the rates will rise next year, anyway.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The price increase starts 11/15, if he upgrades now it's will be $29.99 until 11/15 then it will be $49.99. That's the way I am seeing it at least.

But if he's committing to another 2 years at $29.99 at the time of purchase, they can't go back and say it's really $49.99. If they explicitly state that you are signing up for 2 years, 1 month at $29.99 and 23 months at $49.99 then they would be OK. If they tried to bury it in the fine print they'd probably be shot down by the FTC.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
But if he's committing to another 2 years at $29.99 at the time of purchase, they can't go back and say it's really $49.99. If they explicitly state that you are signing up for 2 years, 1 month at $29.99 and 23 months at $49.99 then they would be OK. If they tried to bury it in the fine print they'd probably be shot down by the FTC.

Not he's committing to pay a phone over the next 2 years, the plan is monthly. At least that's how I see this going down. I understand what you're saying, and that may be the case....Just be careful I guess.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
I think the loophole Verizon is going to use it that you are under a subsidized phone contract, not a unlimited data contract. That is on a month to month but you are locked in a contract to subsidize your phone.....which is the reality.
It's all one contract, there are no separations. Verizon stated that customers under contract aren't affected until it expires.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Not he's committing to pay a phone over the next 2 years, the plan is monthly. At least that's how I see this going down. I understand what you're saying, and that may be the case....Just be careful I guess.
You are committing to having Verizon service for 2 years the way the old contracts worked. They give you $450 upfront toward the cost of the phone in return.

Reactions: JFazYankees

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
That might be the case....I am eager to see how they handle upgrades from now and after 11/15.
That's the big question I need to be answered today. Today is last day I can return my full
Price iPhone 6S plus (I have both att and Verizon service)

I had to wait to October 6 to be full elgible with Verizon subsidized pricing but got launch day iPhone 6s Plus.

I wasn't planning to use the subsidized upgrade but with this decision by Verizon. I may try to lock in the $29.99 unlimited data pricing

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
That's the big question I need to be answered today. Today is last day I can return my full
Price iPhone 6S plus (I have both att and Verizon service)

I had to wait to October 6 to be full elgible with Verizon subsidized pricing but got launch day iPhone 6s Plus.

I wasn't planning to use the subsidized upgrade but with this decision by Verizon. I may try to lock in the $29.99 unlimited data pricing

You might want to call them and record the phone call.

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Not sure how it's BS...You have no contract with Verizon. If you signed a 2 year contract with Verizon for $30 a month for unlimited, and they didn't raise the price for those 2 years they fulfilled their obligation. $50 a month seems very reasonable....personally I think they have every right to drop you as a customer if they wanted after the contract ends, I am surprised they and AT&T haven't done that for the clingers.
$50/mo. for unlimited data = "B.S."? Yeah, ok then. Let me get some tissue over the fact that you no longer get to keep a plan and pricing from 2010-2011. :(
i know I wrote bs. It was the initial shock of the news. That's why I didn't make a federal case out of it. Once it marinated and settled in, I can accept the increase. I have 2 unlimited lines. Once gets a 20% discount because of my job and I JUST got rid of a dumb phone line that would have saved me $15 a month. But even without all that, I'll stick.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Truly unlimited data for $50/month is a relative bargain. Verizon doesn't throttle. I've had an off-contract UDP for many years and pay the extra $30/month for tethering. I travel a lot for work, and hotel WiFi is universally terrible. I have 14 days left in my billing cycle and I've used 14 GB of data, so even the XXL data plan isn't really going to work for me.

My company provides me a line of service with AT&T with unlimited everything (data/talk/text). We can completely use our work phone for our personal use as well. The only caveat is it doesn't come with tethering. If we opt for tethering, our data plan gets capped at 5 GB/month.

If I didn't have a completely free unlimited line on AT&T, I would keep my Verizon plan and happily pay the additional $20/month. But I am debating on if it's worth it for me to keep my personal phone with Verizon now that the cost is going up.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
i know I wrote bs. It was the initial shock of the news. That's why I didn't make a federal case out of it. Once it marinated and settled in, I can accept the increase. I have 2 unlimited lines. Once gets a 20% discount because of my job and I JUST got rid of a dumb phone line that would have saved me $15 a month. But even without all that, I'll stick.

I'd be upset too, but yes once the initial shock wears off, it does seem reasonable. I held onto my AT&T unlimited data for a while too.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Does Verizon still offer a customer retention voice plan that has only 30 minutes for $15? Does anyone know the project code? I mostly use my Verizon UDP for the data in an iPad (I tether a lot with it).

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have six total lines. Two are under contract until 10/2016, so I guess those do not change, but the other four do. So, an extra $80 per month is going to sting a bit. All six plans are using between 10-14 GB per month, sometimes to 16GB. Guess I have one month to figure out what to do?

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have six total lines. Two are under contract until 10/2016, so I guess those do not change, but the other four do. So, an extra $80 per month is going to sting a bit. All six plans are using between 10-14 GB per month, sometimes to 16GB. Guess I have one month to figure out what to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.