Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david594

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I don't really see the problem with this. And I really dont think verizon is trying to be malicious in the ways people are making them out to be. I think this is verizon taking a logical step to ensure some level of quality on their network after seeing how things played out with ATT. If 5% of the users are ruining the experience for the other 95%, the solution that will make the most people happy will be the one to go with.

So verizon reserves the right to limit your ability download movies over lunch on you iphone so the 99 other people can look up a restaurant address quickly.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Many people have circumvented this with rooted android phones by modifying the radio to ignore throttle requests. I assume something may be similar with jailbreaking.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.

Anytime I hear or read the word "proactive", I immediately know somehow or somewhere, somebody is going to get the the royal s___w job.

Fly Rodder

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Yes and if you're in the top 5% of income earners your "extra" money should be confiscated by the government.

Capitalist pigs!

Muahahhahahahahaha.....

Ooooh boy, Somalia has very low taxes and regulations. Shall I book you a ticket?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is something AT&T should of done. T-Mobile does it and it works great. Once you cross 5gig of data they throattle you.
Top 5% someone else posted in another thread is something like 30gig+ people. Sorry those people are abusing the system. Hell if you cross 5 gigs in a month you are abusing the system.

I think what AT&T should of done is when you cross 5 gigs they lock the user to EDGE only and if they break 7-8gigs lock them to GPRS speeds. it would would great to reduce the strain on the network and punishes the abusers who tether or just abuse it big time.

From this Verizon is punishing the top 5% and if those 5% leave Verizon response to them is "do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out." Reason being is those 5% cost them money. They are not making money off them so the loss is not a big deal. 5% data users reduced for 95% of the people.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I think this is funny and hope all you Verizon, "the grass is greener on the other side" lemmings have learned a lesson.

So how do we know that it is only the top 5% and not the top 50% or indeed everyone?

Uh... because it says "five" percent and not "fifty"?

NKT

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Yes and if you're in the top 5% of income earners your "extra" money should be confiscated by the government.

Capitalist pigs!

Muahahhahahahahaha.....

Network management != Gov't taxation

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Outrage!!!! Outrage!!! Blind Furty!!!! stomp feet. Throw things to ground. What am I upset about I still on ATT?

@ FSUSem1noles: You got it.

thecypher

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I (marginally) agree with throttling for the remainder of the current billing cycle - but throttling for the next one too? Sounds way too punitive to me.

That is the idea. The carriers don't want these bandwidth hoggers. They want them to leave. Protecting 95% of revenue at the cost of 5% seems like good business to me. This practice has been in existence for a long time on the wired side (DSL, Cable Broadband). There are always 5% of customers who use 60%+ of bandwidth. From the broadband providers perspective they are better off if these customers leave.

The problem however in this case as someone rightly pointed out is the 5% will probably entirely be iPhone users. And 5% of 90+ Million is over 4.5 Million customers which I would think would be pretty much all of Verizon's iphone customers in the near future.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
So for us who have no choice due to there region we are stuck. Not a single person on this forum has made mention that a huge swath of people just frankly have no other choice in service but verizon. I do not like this policy but once again places i frequent there is not even enough ATT signal for a call let alone data. Do i like this lack of competition no. Have i called ATT to try to get some towers sure. I even live with in short distance to the Bonnaroo concert site still no 3g for me. The market failed me and i am left with a monopoly.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
typical verizon manuever

:mad: It's unfortunate Verizon has not changed their tune. Higher fees, lower data speeds, and now this penality who use the maximum amount of data. Sneaky as hell they do this AFTER dangling the iPhone carrot, but typical.

This news is further proof no matter what Apple iOS device I continue with, I'll stick with AT&T.

thecypher

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I think this is funny and hope all you Verizon, "the grass is greener on the other side" lemmings have learned a lesson.

Uh... because it says "five" percent and not "fifty"?

5% of 90+ Million is 4.5+ Million i.e. pretty much all of Verizon iPhone customers for the forseeable future.

Fly Rodder

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
I don't really see the problem with this. And I really dont think verizon is trying to be malicious in the ways people are making them out to be.

A) I don't trust any company where their priority number 1 is their profits. They don't give a ***** about me as long as I keep paying my monthly bill.

B) This is one of the nuts of net neutrality. Similar to Microsoft/Netscape, it's a question of competitive advantage. Telecommunications companies operate by leasing a "natural resource," radio waves, from the people. But because Verizon is a for-profit company, they're going to open their logs and show who they're throttling or what data they're throttling/compressing. You have to take their word for it. No thanks.

thecypher

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Want data...go with AT&T. Want good voice...go with Verizon.

:D

Or get 2 iPhones. One Verizon for calls and one at&t for data. Now you can browse and talk at the same time and everybody is happy. No gripes! :D

Ellizit

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
So hold on. Top 5%, calculated every month. So what if one of those top 5% users gets throttled, falls out of the top 5%, and now all of a sudden someone in the 6th% gets bumped into the top 5%, getting throttled, falling back out ... you see where I'm going with this? Essentially, everyone using data will get throttled at some point ??

BouncerBoy

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Where are all of those AT&T haters that said the iPhone would be so much better on Verizon's network?!? LOL!

Verizon's voice calls may be better, but I don't think it is that much better. I rarely get dropped calls now and would rather have a few drop calls here and there than to have a slow data network.

Is it still not possible on Verizon's network to have simultaneous calls and data becasue of CDMA?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This (to me) seems alike a great idea.

a friend uses his network to watch movies all the time. this would likely slow down my experience when i just want to send a short email/look up something on the internet.

this and a better tiered system would be great on ATT. rather than 200mb, it should be 500mb. I easily go over 200mb a month but not anywhere near 2GB. so i pay for more than i use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.