Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkowalski

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
If Apple developed the iPhone for CDMA, wouldn't that require certification by the FCC, which would be public information? If that is so, we will know in advance when the iPhone is coming out for Verizon.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If Apple developed the iPhone for CDMA, wouldn't that require certification by the FCC, which would be public information? If that is so, we will know in advance when the iPhone is coming out for Verizon.

Yep but the logic of your argument is ignored since it clashes with the idea that Verizon is getting the iPhone in the near future.:rolleyes:

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

Not really. There are ways that they mask the information to keep it confidential.

psalm234

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
If anything I'm guessing Sprint will carry the iPhone before Verizon (subsidized anyway)

Sprint is desperate enough to give into any of Apples demands

i'm sure many will make their way to Verizon at that point anyway

Or T-Mobile!

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
That's the nature of the Apple fanboy. If Droid has it, it's not important. If iphone has it, it's MAGICAL. Pathetic but true.

Wow skyehill, what a hypocrite you are. You have the cajones to call other people 'fanboys' when looking over your previous posts (click his username to see for yourself), all you do all day long is troll these forums like the anti-Apple zealot you are.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Wow skyehill, what a hypocrite you are. You have the cajones to call other people 'fanboys' when looking over your previous posts (click his username to see for yourself), all you do all day long is troll these forums like the anti-Apple zealot you are.

I don't hate Apple at all. I also don't blindly love them and all of their stupid mistakes. I don't think the iPad is MAGICAL. I hate that my iPhone didn't have basic functionality available to users of other, better networks (turn by turn being the biggest). I also don't love that it's tied to a network that sucks at doing what a phone should do best - make and maintain phone calls (SHOCKING). I hate seeing Google completely run circles around Apple's phone OS in such a short amount of time. But it happened, and much like the PC market, Apple will have to be content being a niche, which would be fine if they excelled at their niche, but their lack of basic functionality in their phone speaks volumes about why they're losing me as an iPhone customer.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Proper Usage

OK, the use of the word "fanboy" has gotten out of control. At least two posts in this thread refer to "Verizon fanboys." Honestly? Wireless carriers have fanboys now?

Honestly, is proper MacRumors usage: FANBOI? and PL = FANBOZ? Or is it fanboy? We must have standards.

The reason is simple: iPhones will always have a world wide standard compatability: that means iPhones will always be GSM.

Verizon will get iPhones when both iPhone and Verizon go LTE.

Remember that UMTS, HSPA and LTE are all GSM standards and only a few countries in the world use CDMA.

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
All he's doing is trying not to freeze sales of Android devices because of an upcoming iPhone launch. The iPhone is definitely going to Verizon.

Precisely.

This is exactly the same strategy demonstrated by Sprint reps when asked why they weren't making more noise about their upcoming HTC Hero release (at the time), when Android was making so much more press than the Palm Pre. To paraphrase, wireless providers will go out of their way to avoid suppressing sales of their existing handset portfolio, regardless of how immanent a new product rollout is.

Need more proof? The HTC EVO has been a known upcoming Sprint release for months, yet they didn't started advertising it in earnest until this month, because they didn't want to kill HTC Hero and Samsung Moment sales in their 4G markets.

A definitive acknowledgement of a Big Red iPhone in the offing would bring all other Verizon handset sales to a screeching halt. This guy's answer is typical of the industry, and doesn't divulge anything conclusive -other than to suggest that VZ is still too far out from an iPhone acquisition to risk the impact to their sales of other devices. But they're absolutely going to get their hands on it. It is inevitable.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
It is good to note in his recent comments about the television space, Steve Jobs specifically mentions the ability to go worldwide with a single type of technology as being a key factor that limits the tv from being a good target.

Reading between the lines, you might take this to support the idea that there will be no verizon iPhone on CDMA at any point.

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
Hypothetical Verizon iPhone
  • Max speed 3.1mb
  • No concurrent Voice/Data
  • No rollover minutes
  • Need to buy a new phone for that unexpected trip outside the US

Real ATT iPhone
  • Max speed 7.2mb
  • Concurrent Voice/Data
  • Rollover Minutes
  • Global Standard

Real world atnt iPhone test.

Actual download speed on "full bars 3G Atlanta" standing still 1.997 mb/second. (just tested).
Size of 3G network ... fail.

Fluffy Bunny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
If anything I'm guessing Sprint will carry the iPhone before Verizon (subsidized anyway)

Sprint is desperate enough to give into any of Apples demands

i'm sure many will make their way to Verizon at that point anyway

Sprint has 4G and the Evo, why would they want to downgrade? :eek:

P.S. What part of 2012 AT&T exclusivity don't people understand?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Sprint has 4G and the Evo, why would they want to downgrade? :eek:

P.S. What part of 2012 AT&T exclusivity don't people understand?
We don't actually know if the original agreement is still in force.

You know that you can switch from a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage pretty easily, yes?

It is entirely possible that Apple and AT&T drew up a new agreement since the original one, possibly one that changed the termination date of the agreement.

For all we know, AT&T might only have exclusivity for a few more days.

Remember, AT&T originally had a revenue-sharing agreement with Apple but later switched to an agreement where a one-time subsidy was paid out. With this kind of switch, it would be easier for exclusivity to end very quickly since there would be no long-term financial obligations requiring on-going exclusive partnership.

Same deal with any other market where Apple has marketed the iPhone.

Agreements can be rewritten very easily if all parties find a compelling reason(s) to do so. Maybe Apple told AT&T, "hey, we'll reduce your required subsidy payment if you relinquish exclusivity. Oh, and you don't need to promise unlimited data anymore as we previously required. Charge what you want."

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
We don't actually know if the original agreement is still in force.

You know that you can switch from a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage pretty easily, yes?

It is entirely possible that Apple and AT&T drew up a new agreement since the original one, possibly one that changed the termination date of the agreement.

For all we know, AT&T might only have exclusivity for a few more days.

Remember, AT&T originally had a revenue-sharing agreement with Apple but later switched to an agreement where a one-time subsidy was paid out. With this kind of switch, it would be easier for exclusivity to end very quickly since there would be no long-term financial obligations requiring on-going exclusive partnership.

Same deal with any other market where Apple has marketed the iPhone.

Agreements can be rewritten very easily if all parties find a compelling reason(s) to do so. Maybe Apple told AT&T, "hey, we'll reduce your required subsidy payment if you relinquish exclusivity. Oh, and you don't need to promise unlimited data anymore as we previously required. Charge what you want."

I think you are reading recent activities backwards. They hint more towards an on-going and continued negotiation and not a terminated one.

I suspect Jobs has been telling Verizon they need a $15 data plan to get the iPhone and Verizon has rudely laughed at him, like they always do when he tries to negotiate with them. :)

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I suspect Jobs has been telling Verizon they need a $15 data plan to get the iPhone and Verizon has rudely laughed at him, like they always do when he tries to negotiate with them. :)
Your opinion is duly noted. We will see shortly what Apple has up its sleeve.

Here's my totally unsubstantiated prediction: AT&T's exclusivity rights have ended. Apple will announce a new iPhone and the addition of a new U.S. carrier: T-Mobile USA. Perhaps initially, T-Mobile will retain their "unlimited data" plans to attract new customers, but eventually, I think the industry will move to tiered data.

My guess is that Apple will bring a CDMA iPhone to market only if it has commitments from multiple CDMA carriers, not just Verizon and/or Sprint. They need some of the international CDMA operators to sign the dotted line. If there is some all-in-one GSM/CDMA/3G/LTE chip, yeah, I can see the iPhone on all four major U.S. mobile operators, but right now, the likelihood of this happening diminishes every day.

Again, these are entirely personal opinions from me, a complete nobody with a very imperfect understanding of the complexities of the U.S. cellular telephony market.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
So many rumors, so few facts :)

I'm sticking with what I do know - a good friend, deep in the Verizon data org., is both clearly in the know about something interesting and unusually mum on the subject. Going to be interesting either way...

gprice2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
The reason is simple: iPhones will always have a world wide standard compatability: that means iPhones will always be GSM.

Verizon will get iPhones when both iPhone and Verizon go LTE.

Remember that UMTS, HSPA and LTE are all GSM standards and only a few countries in the world use CDMA.

I'm not sure if anyone else has been reading about the LTE network, but every major carrier outside of sprint (uses wiMax) are switching to LTE. LTE will be running on the 700mhz which is the old analog tv frequency and will have speeds of 100mb/s down and 50mb/s upload. LTE network will have swappable SIM cards, similar to those found in today's GSM-capable handsets, so it will eventually not be an issue.

As for anything else i have to say, its been said many times already, looking forward to iphone on verizon, not switching carriers ever, and would rather have verizon's mifi + an itouch duct taped together. I'll make skype calls.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007

Actual download speed on "full bars 3G Atlanta" standing still 1.997 mb/second. (just tested).

My parents pay 80 bucks a month for DSL that is slower than that. And you are bitching.

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
...you guys have a weird network thing going on, and as an outsider...reading about it is bloody boring!:p

I'm going to have an 02 pay as you go sim with 12 months unlimited internet browsing when I get the new iPhone.

The last thing I want is to be stuck with an 18 or 24 month contract and then having to buy myself out of it or pay over the odds to upgrade to the next iPhone (probably with an even longer contract!). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Europeans are increasingly buying their phones sans contract (and either going pre-pay or using an existing contract) and apparently more and more American consumers are doing this too.

Does this mean you can buy an iphone in the UK completely without contracts and network locks? I thought even through different carriers (and Tesco's etc) it's still difficult to get it without contract and network locked.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
So many rumors, so few facts :)

I'm sticking with what I do know - a good friend, deep in the Verizon data org., is both clearly in the know about something interesting and unusually mum on the subject. Going to be interesting either way...

The Android Supercalifraglisticexmealadocious is coming out?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Your opinion is duly noted. We will see shortly what Apple has up its sleeve.

Here's my totally unsubstantiated prediction: AT&T's exclusivity rights have ended. Apple will announce a new iPhone and the addition of a new U.S. carrier: T-Mobile USA. Perhaps initially, T-Mobile will retain their "unlimited data" plans to attract new customers, but eventually, I think the industry will move to tiered data.

My guess is that Apple will bring a CDMA iPhone to market only if it has commitments from multiple CDMA carriers, not just Verizon and/or Sprint. They need some of the international CDMA operators to sign the dotted line. If there is some all-in-one GSM/CDMA/3G/LTE chip, yeah, I can see the iPhone on all four major U.S. mobile operators, but right now, the likelihood of this happening diminishes every day.

Again, these are entirely personal opinions from me, a complete nobody with a very imperfect understanding of the complexities of the U.S. cellular telephony market.

Don't sell yourself short. You are a MacRumors Analyst like me.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ

7.2 is for their fastest towers. Not all cities have 7.2 yet.

I'm usually around 3-3.2 in the Phoenix area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.